Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 VW Variant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

Igotadose wrote: »
    With such an enormous amount of time and effort spent on this, down to building the tools needed to do the work, all the complexities of getting parts, you just have to make it look 'cherry.' Plus what a great story to sell to a car magazine, from the seriously joyous way it was acquired, your blogging the work here, and the final result. Might be a few Euros in it for you selling such a story.

Good idea,or on youtube??? Well worth it, would quickly create a big fan following, if thats what Kadman wanted.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

jmreire wrote: »
    After going so far, I'd be all for a complete respray....the more you clean it up, the more blemishes you will find.Plus if there is existing cissing / cracking, it would indicate previous paintwork. And I'd be sealing these areas too,,,you dont want them contaminating the new paint. Getting the original front panels was a bonus.:)

Too true. It took a few months to source the correct NOS panels. But once i found them it was a definite purchase. Nothing like original german metal.
    Plus the fact that time wise it is going to be a quicker result.

The spare wheel bottom area is a bit crimped from the front bumper nudge. It could be straightened out given enough time. But either way it would have to be removed from the car to do the job right, so I thought at the time, if its out anyway and i can get a NOS part, I might as well put that in.

When its out I might chose to straighten it, and put it back in and sell on the NOS. I will have to wait and see then.

The paintwork, especially the roof is crazed so much putting on some form of barrier coat is hardly going to do. I will post up a god pic on it when the car is on the lift to give you a better Idea of how bad it is.

Of course better poor paint than rusty metal:)

Yep its anchored at the strongest point of the front axle, the mounting bolt position.

Once there it took very little to pull and straighten the wing and bumper mount position.

I suspect more modern cars would have torn metal fairly quickly

Good idea,or on youtube??? Well worth it, would quickly create a big fan following, if thats what Kadman wanted.:D

I am not a fan seeking type of chap. I just like VW's and like to share my experiences in fixing them.

I am way too old and ugly to be anyone's celebrity:p:p

Not interested in the money aspect of it either, any info I have while I am fixing them will be out there for free.

Lots of things more important than money:)

kadman wrote: »
    Too true. It took a few months to source the correct NOS panels. But once i found them it was a definite purchase. Nothing like original german metal.
    Plus the fact that time wise it is going to be a quicker result.

The spare wheel bottom area is a bit crimped from the front bumper nudge. It could be straightened out given enough time. But either way it would have to be removed from the car to do the job right, so I thought at the time, if its out anyway and i can get a NOS part, I might as well put that in.

When its out I might chose to straighten it, and put it back in and sell on the NOS. I will have to wait and see then.

The paintwork, especially the roof is crazed so much putting on some form of barrier coat is hardly going to do. I will post up a god pic on it when the car is on the lift to give you a better Idea of how bad it is.

Of course better poor paint than rusty metal:)

Well, you will know when you start sanding it down, if it was painted at some stage, and its the "new" paint is cracking. This is normally what happens with new "paint" aging....maybe too many coats sprayed on. Genuine factory finish tends to grey out or whiten ( red being a good example of this) But for the cracking, best to remove it if at all possible. Other than that, a good two pack sealer will do the job as well, after a good sanding.

• Advertisement

Yep its anchored at the strongest point of the front axle, the mounting bolt position.

Once there it took very little to pull and straighten the wing and bumper mount position.

I suspect more modern cars would have torn metal fairly quickly

You would be right, but we have several Skodas in the family, and whatever is in the composition of the metal, it takes a fair drill bit to penetrate it...I had a 2003 A6, completely rust free, again its whatever metal they are using. And sign of the times....in the last few years, I regularly see dozers and other bodyshop equipment for sale on done deal, adverts etc. Most repairing now carried out in "Insurance Approved" workshops, and smaller 1 or 2 man businesses going to the wall.

I located a nice dozer on Donedeal for small money, but restrictions meant I could not collect it,
    thats why I made my temporary fix. Courier charges were over 150 euro for the DD one.:eek:

I located a nice dozer on Donedeal for small money, but restrictions meant I could not collect it,
    thats why I made my temporary fix. Courier charges were over 150 euro for the DD one.:eek:

No, the one you "Engineered" yourself did the job just fine....I've often done the same myself, ( in my nixer days....:rolleyes:) The company I worked for back in the 70's, a Ford main dealership, got in the 1st jig-bench system( outside of dublin at the time).It was made by the Italian manufacturer Massa and It was state of the art back then, a big improvement from the dozer.... LOL. The first car I repaired on it was an almost new MK5 Ford Cortina, it needed a chassis leg and valance and I can still remember it.:)

Gotcha,

but if i keep making any tools I need, there will be no time left for Resto:D:D

Gotcha,

but if i keep making any tools I need, there will be no time left for Resto:D:D

Yes, but (always a "BUT" LOL 😂 ) when the job comes to a standstill because of the lack of a piece of equipment / special tool etc. Choice goes out the window... and its a very positive thing,,meet problems and solve them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yes, but (always a "BUT" LOL 😂 ) when the job comes to a standstill because of the lack of a piece of equipment / special tool etc. Choice goes out the window... and its a very positive thing,,meet problems and solve them.

Necessity is the mother of inventions. :)

I spent the last few weeks rebuilding the topend of the variant engine along with new rings. I also balanced the pistons and gudgeon pins. There was a variance of a bit more than the 5 grams that VW say is their stock requirement. I manged to balance them up to within .5 grams between them all.

Today was the startup day at long last. It started up first crank, and sounds very well. I found nothing strange during the rebuild, except that at some stage the thermostat was removed, and the cooling flaps were jammed open by some judicial bending of one flap.

Thats all fixed now, with a replacement thermostat and operating linkages, and is fully returned to stock.

How did it work out with the twin carburetors? Were you able to balance them out? or were they set up OK?

There you go . First start up before any adjustments,

Post edited by kadman on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Video is private @kadman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cheers!!

Glorious, well done!.

Certainly started up easy enough, and running fine too..were all the vacuum pipes connected?

Why does the video not show as they used to. A black screen is not very inviting?

Its fixed now to public, and works perfectly on other sites.

• Advertisement

Did you use the insert link box at the bottom of the post box? Looks like these <>

No vacuum on it at all, its running a 009 dissy, that I put on it from day one when I started it from laying up for 50+ years.

I was surprised that it ran this well straight off the bat. Before any fine tuning of the carbs and timing tweeking. So it can only improve.

I will spend a day tuning it, and pop it back in the next day. I am not too worried about the cosmetics of the engine at the moment, I just want a good runner.

I have another video of the second start as well, but the messing about of loading videos here now since the revamp, is a pain in the hole.

I can rebuild the variant engine blindfolded. But I cant post a youtube vid like the old days.

Fek that revamp, I'm done, its not happening for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Well done! Sounds sweet. How did you balance the pistons and pins, just put them on a scale? I assume you found the lightest one and removed material from the other 3 to match? What part did you grind away?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Videos are working fine for me.

Sounds great! I miss hearing the VWs which were so common when I was kid. My dad always had A-series engined BL cars (and I learned to drive in one), used to be a very common distinctive sound too due to the siamesed exhaust port. The end of leaded petrol killed off almost all of what was left of them.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what I did. Weighed the litest combination of parts, and mixed and matched them to give me the best combination of parts, so that I removed the least amount of material. I ended up with less than.5 of a gram difference between each piston set, which was great.

There are certain little spots in the piston that are suitable for material removal. Thats what I went for.

I broke in the rings by running at higher revs, and low revs for a 20 minute period. The engine is now back in the car since yesterday evening, and just have to wire it in the morning and start up

Advertisement