Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mental and physical health pretty low. Disinterest in everything, self care non-existent, i know it will change but it's so tough right now i can't believe that it will..

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other one at a time. I used to look at the clock and say " In half an hour I will feel better..." then again and again.. Limit it to a short time. A ti ny taste rather than a great plateful Shuffling step rather tan a great LEAP!

I am a wreck just now. Lack of sleep with the gales has exacerbated the M.E to a severe degree. Longing for three o'clock which s the earliest I will allow myself to close down for the day and sleep. I can see why ignorant folk use t think I was depressed etc; i am not; I am just ill. Managing very odd food things that need no work! Been here so many times it is second nature. No use fretting; just endure and wait.

Old saying by someone with great stresses and dangers.. " This too shall pass,"

We are all stressed out. Even me on this tiny peaceful and non threatening island. With great care being shown me. Just is the way life is with the pandemic.

Hang on in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Mental and physical health pretty low. Disinterest in everything, self care non-existent, i know it will change but it's so tough right now i can't believe that it will..

I'm not great either. I've been lucky with my physical health considering my alcohol abuse over the years but mental health quite poor at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Have a knot in my stomach all day, and my nerves are killing me, anxious about **** in work and all the rest of the ****. And I'm affecting everyone else in the house. I'm just impossible to be around. Isolating in the attic room like a hermit all the time. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Same here. Anxious about work. I wish I could afford to leave. I am seriously considering leaving, and taking a few months off.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Exact same in relation to work stress. Had my sleep all over the place. And that inevitably leads to negative thinking and spiralling and guilt for some sh1tty thing I did 10 years ago....

It's so frustrating and I'm so exhausted all the time. Cranky and irritable also, so not much fun for the rest of the family either. Another thing to feel guilty about.

• Advertisement

Drank a lot of water, had dinner and feel a bit better. Think I'd been drinking tea all day, no water. Caffeine, cold, hunger, tiredness, news all make me more anxious.

Keep forgetting to drink water though ...

I'm anxious about work and I don't even have a job, lol!

I am starting a TUS scheme employment as a caretaker in a local school on Monday. Any 'normal' person would find this p.iss easy and not be troubled, and I would have myself when my mental health was ok, but I'm not as young as I used to be.

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Drank a lot of water, had dinner and feel a bit better. Think I'd been drinking tea all day, no water. Caffeine, cold, hunger, tiredness, news all make me more anxious.

Keep forgetting to drink water though ...

I overindulge in the caffeine myself.

One thing I'd say is try sparkling water, I kind of get a 'buzz' off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 greentealatte

Just been harassed by a few users on here. I kind of anticipated it due to the nature of the post so not surprised but it didn't feel great when I'm already dealing with a lot on top of depression and anxiety.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I'm anxious about work and I don't even have a job, lol!

I am starting a TUS scheme employment as a caretaker in a local school on Monday. Any 'normal' person would find this p.iss easy and not be troubled, and I would have myself when my mental health was ok, but I'm not as young as I used to be.

You'll be fine once you get started and Monday is over.

• Advertisement

You'll be fine once you get started and Monday is over.

Thanks I think that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    *words removed just for brevity*
    Graces7 wrote: »
    *same as above*

Thank you both, I needed to hear that. I'm my worst critic-I always feel like I'm not doing 'enough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thank you both, I needed to hear that. I'm my worst critic-I always feel like I'm not doing 'enough'.

Keep the chin up, it's a very difficult time for everyone, I'm slipping myself, thankfully going mountain biking today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Trying everything to keep the head up today but I'm thinking off to bed soon, I tried.

How is everyone this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Just been harassed by a few users on here. I kind of anticipated it due to the nature of the post so not surprised but it didn't feel great when I'm already dealing with a lot on top of depression and anxiety.

I’m sorry to hear you were harassed. Some of the posters here can get that way. Most are nice though!my ocd in recent weeks has been kind of rough. I get kind of paranoid and worry about unlikely situations. Sometimes I give out to people who aren’t being nice to me and I overreact. Sometimes I feel like there is no way out. I feel hopeless and find it difficult to carry on. I’ve been doing lots of walking and it eases the pain but only temporarily but then I build up these situations in my head. I just find it difficult to cope with the fact that my ocd isn’t ever going to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tdf7187 wrote:
    How is everyone this evening?

Much better today thank god, mountain biking really does work for me, how's your world?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

poisonated wrote: »
    I’m sorry to hear you were harassed. Some of the posters here can get that way. Most are nice though!my ocd in recent weeks has been kind of rough. I get kind of paranoid and worry about unlikely situations. Sometimes I give out to people who aren’t being nice to me and I overreact. Sometimes I feel like there is no way out. I feel hopeless and find it difficult to carry on. I’ve been doing lots of walking and it eases the pain but only temporarily but then I build up these situations in my head. I just find it difficult to cope with the fact that my ocd isn’t ever going to go away.

Regarding harassment-yeah, I've gotten a few unwanted pm's that would constitute harassment. If they get really bad, report them. (I've never had to, but those users tend to get banned because of mass harassment).

As for OCD. Those thoughts can be brutal. What helped me, a little, was reading up on the condition. I don't know what kind of OCD you have, whether it's thought based, or compulsion based (or maybe both) but a good book that helped me was 'Tormenting Thoughts, and Secret Rituals' by Ian Osborn. It's not a cure, but it's very helpful in understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Absolutely struggling today with work. Don't know how I'll reach bed time tonight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Absolutely struggling today with work. Don't know how I'll reach bed time tonight

You will get there, think in smaller time increments, get to the next half hour, lunch, toilet break at three. Little steps. Well done for making the steps to get there in the first place.

• Advertisement

Left my phone off all day yesterday. No internet or technology or news or TV or "entertainment" ... I just sat in a quiet room for a few hours over the day. Cleared the room of clutter and let my thoughts go past. Was unreal. Felt like coming off a hangover.

Recommend you try.

Now, back online again for work. And it's the usual chaos, panic and rush. But I have an outsider perspective now at least for a short while.

So, get off the technology/internet stream roller for a while and give your mind a rest. It will just overwhelm you.

Note: saying this as someone who makes a living off this steam roller.

You will get there, think in smaller time increments, get to the next half hour, lunch, toilet break at three. Little steps. Well done for making the steps to get there in the first place.

My technique for decades. Just now aiming for 3 pm when I can take more codeine and crash. Crawling on the floor just now, and even that it too much

Left my phone off all day yesterday. No internet or technology or news or TV or "entertainment" ... I just sat in a quiet room for a few hours over the day. Cleared the room of clutter and let my thoughts go past. Was unreal. Felt like coming off a hangover.

Recommend you try.

Now, back online again for work. And it's the usual chaos, panic and rush. But I have an outsider perspective now at least for a short while.

So, get off the technology/internet stream roller for a while and give your mind a rest. It will just overwhelm you.

Note: saying this as someone who makes a living off this steam roller.

My phone is outgoing calls only so never on. Here depends. I am sick this week to online more as distraction. I watch youtube a fair amount. No TV or radio TV r rdaio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I have to go into the office this afternoon for the first time this year and I'm absolutely dreading it. Started to go down an anxiety spiral thinking about being back in full-time. I don't know why it's affecting me so badly, I never really had a problem with it before Covid. I don't want to go back to being away from the house all day and I don't want to be around my coworkers (not that they've done anything wrong). Ugh. It's the one bit of lockdown I'd like to keep, but I don't think my boss will support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Is anybody else suffering from gerd acid reflux due to stress/ anxiety. Have ssri's helped you?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Is anybody else suffering from gerd acid reflux due to stress/ anxiety. Have ssri's helped you?

I used to get it and found that Nexium worked wonders. I haven't had any acid reflux since going on a brief course of Nexium a few years' ago. I can't say that SSRI's made any difference one way or the other. There is a theory that SSRI's can help with IBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Regarding harassment-yeah, I've gotten a few unwanted pm's that would constitute harassment. If they get really bad, report them. (I've never had to, but those users tend to get banned because of mass harassment).

As for OCD. Those thoughts can be brutal. What helped me, a little, was reading up on the condition. I don't know what kind of OCD you have, whether it's thought based, or compulsion based (or maybe both) but a good book that helped me was 'Tormenting Thoughts, and Secret Rituals' by Ian Osborn. It's not a cure, but it's very helpful in understanding.

My ocd is more thought based as I know that I have to avoid carrying out compulsions because of exposure response prevention technique. I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole or trying to control the thoughts through meaningless compulsions. Thanks for advice on book.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I'm in tears here watching Roman Kemp: our silent emergency on bbc1.
    Hitting home how common and hidden depression is, even now.

Suffering with me nerves as we would have said at home a few years back.. My app for my mood doesn't make for great stats lately.. Feelings of being let down and weary with things in general and then ruminating on personal stuff. Been trying to pull myself out of the drain a few weeks now. It just crept up on me..

Just needed to type that out, thanks..

• Advertisement

If you can get to a green area and out into nature then do it. Managed to get out today after feeling **** all week. Makes the world of difference. If you can, go "off peak" when less people around. Eg take a break from work, early morning.

Advertisement