Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Better value - Dunnes or Aldi?

• 14-03-2021 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I used to shop Aldi all the time as my bill was consistently lower.

But then I started buying excess meat products and freezing them, so typically my bill would come out at 50+ euro regardless.

Low and behold, that's the magic number for a 10 euro Dunnes discount (provided you shop again within 2 weeks of receiving the initial voucher).

Clever way to keep you coming back.

I mean, 20% discount provided you spend over 50 euro each shop - that's solid.

Really like this sticking it to the discount-monopoly consumer approach, but leaves me questioning when all is said and done, and all coupons cashed - which is ultimately better value?

One thing I like about Aldi, is their pizzas.

Their pizzas are more diverse, better toppings, and their spring rolls are good also.

Dunnes fall down here.

That aside though, overall value - Dunnes Vs Aldi - who do you go with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi & Lidl.

Even with the €10 off 50, Dunnes is still overall more expensive than Aldi. Depends on what you are buying of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

€10 off a €50 spend is 20% off only when the bill is €50.
    Most people will spend well over €50 so the discount will be a lot lower.
    Aldi and Lidl should be cheaper for most things but they don't have the same choices that others have.
    You pay your money..........

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You cant use coupons for booze anymore so if you buy wine ALDi will be noticeably cheaper than Dunnes

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Site Banned Posts: 21 U2erthy

Aldi or lidI think quality is a bit better in aldi than lidl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

okidoki987 wrote: »
    €10 off a €50 spend is 20% off only when the bill is €50.
    Most people will spend well over €50 so the discount will be a lot lower.
    Aldi and Lidl should be cheaper for most things but they don't have the same choices that others have.
    You pay your money..........

You mean to say that, if you spend 100 euro, you don't get 10 euro off twice - being that you spent 2x 50 euro?

I guess that applies to some but for me, I used to spend marginally under 50 euro.
    Now I spend marginally more than it so my bill comes in fairly consistently about 50/+5 euro.

Yeah for sure I normally buy say, chips for like 25 cents in Aldi.
    But more expensive brands in Dunnes like Kettlecorn, I pay 2.50 for roughly the same, albeit a better brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

derekeire wrote: »
    Even with the €10 off 50, Dunnes is still overall more expensive than Aldi. Depends on what you are buying of course.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Just work out what's cheaper/same price in dunne's, carefully spend exactly €50 to use voucher, spend the rest in Aldi on what's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Housefree wrote: »
    Just work out what's cheaper/same price in dunne's, carefully spend exactly €50 to use voucher, spend the rest in Aldi on what's cheaper.

Exactly. The most I've gone over the €50 is by 75c. Plus you get a €5 off €20 spend. Handy for topping up milk and fruit midweek.
    Handy to have Lidl, Aldi and Tesco's all within a 5 min walk from Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Great for the mental arithmetic! I use Dunnes for the vouchers, I only buy stuff I know is same prices everywhere or similar. Great for a stock up every now and then, I seldom use up all the vouchers but every now and often leave one with cashier if I know I won't be back again before expiry date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement