Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Charlize Theron wants to star in a LGBTQ+ Die Hard Reboot.

Paramount Movies will be hitting Paramount+ 30, 45 & 90 days after there cinematic release.

Paramount will also being remaking and rebooting back catalogue films and TV series Love Story, Fatal Attraction, Flashdance, The Italian Job, The Parallax View, Paranormal Activity, and Pet Sematary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

David Fincher is set to direct the Netflix feature The Killer, based on a graphic novel about a contract killer who develops a conscience. It will be penned by Andrew Kevin Walker who collaborated with Fincher on Seven, Fight Club, and The Game. Michael Fassbender is in talks to star (Variety).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see Nomadland is going to be released on Disney Plus in April, no extra charge beyond subscription.

I see Nomadland is going to be released on Disney Plus in April, no extra charge beyond subscription.

It's been free on Hulu for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Avatar is once again the highest grossing film of all time after getting a re-release in China this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this blew my mind when I saw this recently, hadnt seen the film since I was about 10 but remember I thought there was something odd about this scene as most or all of this scene was cut out, this explains it

https://twitter.com/IXAeroMaestroXI/status/1317688345275863040

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    It hasn't been cut from the film since the 80's.

if Joanne McClane and Hanna Gruber make out at the end, then I guess...

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

silverharp wrote: »
    if Joanne McClane and Hanna Gruber make out at the end, then I guess...

Yeah, dunno how it would work. Not like there was much of a relationship in it outside of John and Holly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

She's already in an LGBTQ+ Highlander, so works for me.

She's already in an LGBTQ+ Highlander, so works for me.

I hope Dame Judy Dench is playing Sean Connery's role

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

They haven't made a good Die Hard in quite some time, and while Willis has still shown something in the likes of RED, I'm okay with a reboot. I don't care if they make the lead a lesbian or whatever, but I don't have any confidence that they'll make a good movie. Die Hard was a lightning strike - it has no business being as good as it is. The sequels have seen diminishing returns.

mikhail wrote: »
    They haven't made a good Die Hard in quite some time, and while Willis has still shown something in the likes of RED, I'm okay with a reboot. I don't care if they make the lead a lesbian or whatever, but I don't have any confidence that they'll make a good movie. Die Hard was a lightning strike - it has no business being as good as it is. The sequels have seen diminishing returns.

it will end up being sexist , it will be a film where a woman beats up and kills men the whole time, almost unwatchable out the gate, unless Hanna Gruber's team are all women too :pac:

silverharp wrote: »
    I hope Dame Judy Dench is playing Sean Connery's role

Sorry, glib reference to The Old Guard. The movie is oddly coy about it but she and the Quynh character were lovers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As said already, Die Hard is a franchise that's dead as a dodo anyway, and don't care what Charlize _wants_ to do with the franchise. I want to be a millionaire but unlikely to happen. If she wants to make it LGBTQ+? Cool, doesn't affect me or the franchise in any way.

Does make me speculate if Theron could acquire the rights to "Nothing Lasts Forever", the book on which Die Hard was based - yes it was based on a novel, for those not in the know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Die Hard is a recognisable IP. Personally I'd prefer a reboot to more dull sequels with phone in performances from Willis. There was talk of doing a prequel a few years ago which is just so stupid.

One Die Hard movie was good. The first one, that's all. One dumb movie that managed something entertaining despite being absolutely ridiculous.

Amazes me how people keep clinging to a recognisable title when the clear diminishing returns over the course of decades is there for everyone to see.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Die Hard is a recognisable IP. Personally I'd prefer a reboot to more dull sequels with phone in performances from Willis. There was talk of doing a prequel a few years ago which is just so stupid.

I'm not sure she's necessarily suggesting an actual name brand Die Hard movie, so much as a take on that general premise, ie one character having to scrounge together the means to outwit a much slicker group of baddies with hostages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm not sure she's necessarily suggesting an actual name brand Die Hard movie, so much as a take on that general premise, ie one character having to scrounge together the means to outwit a much slicker group of baddies with hostages.

Oh well if that's the case then I have absolutely no problem with it and I don't know why anyone. Jesus, how many of those have we seen over the years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Oh well if that's the case then I have absolutely no problem with it and I don't know why anyone. Jesus, how many of those have we seen over the years.

Ah you know why. Cos people are so easily triggered now it's not even funny anymore. Something something woke etc. Fill a bag with a bunch of Hollywood IPs, pick one out, add the line "... but with women / LGBTQ" and watch the usual reaction.

Was watching Crimson Tide the other day, arguably Tony Scott's best work and you know, they don't make submarine dramas anymore, which is a shame. They're such natural films for easy tension, stakes and danger. All the drama you get from confined quarters, egos clashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pixelburp wrote: »
    Was watching Crimson Tide the other day, arguably Tony Scott's best work and you know, they don't make submarine dramas anymore, which is a shame. They're such natural films for easy tension, stakes and danger. All the drama you get from confined quarters, egos clashing.

TV has taken over there also eg remaking and expanding Das Boot

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    TV has taken over there also eg remaking and expanding Das Boot

And it was shit.

Sometimes it's best just to leave things alone.

So with the Snyder cut released, Chris Columbus say he has a R-Rated cut of Mrs. Doubtfire in 3 other cuts of the film he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably just camera left on Robin as he goes off on expletive filled improvised lines.

Wonder what other recent releases might be good candidates or conversation pieces for "directors cut", outside the superhero genre. To that end, must get around to the director cut of Kingdom of Heaven; I've heard tell it'd so superior it legitimately pushed the film into Great status

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I haven't watched the two cuts of Kingdom of Heaven, but I have seen the director's cut and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

So with the Snyder cut released, Chris Columbus say he has a R-Rated cut of Mrs. Doubtfire in 3 other cuts of the film he has.

Apparently there's a Broadway musical on the way so I'm thinking this is just an attempt at free publicity.

Besides there's already a horror version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Chris Walas, the special effects makeup artist who designed and created Mogwai and Gremlins tweeted his very first sketches for the project.

https://twitter.com/walas_chris/status/1373650164053766147?s=20

https://twitter.com/walas_chris/status/1373772713555234818?s=20

Advertisement