Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New iMac, buy now or wait for new model

• 02-03-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

The long awaited iMac replacement is looming, and I need a new one. Any thoughts on buying the current model V waiting for the new one? Not that keen to be an early adopter as this is for work and can't afford downtime, but also not keen on buying something that may be made redundant by nthe new model.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

you decision is should be based around what you use your machine for. if I were buying I'd go with the new, but my needs are smallish and not mission critical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Apparently the new M1 iMac will be released some time this year so personally I would hold out until it arrives. It's likely only a matter of waiting a few months for the new chip so I would wait if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Went for the last of the Intel iMacs. Can't afford to be an early adopter this time, need reliability and software integration from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

There will always be something new and better around the corner. Always.

If you need a computer today, buy a computer today.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Noxegon wrote: »
    There will always be something new and better around the corner. Always.

If you need a computer today, buy a computer today.

There isn't always a platform shift and a huge leap in performance as you are getting with the M1. Its like the move from 6800 to PowerPC and then to Intel.

But if you need it today, you have no choice. if you have a choice, then you don't need it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ReganBrady

What I did earlier was, I was in need of iMac for work, and for travel I usually use iPad and at the same time wanted to have the new model of iMac which was supposed to coming soon, so couldn't wait as I was aware of the workload was increasing daily, but not about the launch date, so I went for the refurbished one for the time being and bought the latest later on with bit delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

beauf wrote: »
    There isn't always a platform shift and a huge leap in performance as you are getting with the M1.

That's true.

I bought a new Mac Pro about six months before the M1 was officially announced, even though there was plenty of smoke at that point. I do not regret that decision, because I needed an upgrade then – and it's likely going to be another eighteen months before there's a M1 machine in the Pro chassis.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I need a new iMac to replace a 2012 model that’s showing it’s age with random kernel crashes. I bought a MB Air, which I also needed but less urgently, and I’m using that as a stopgap to take some of my workload away from the iMac. Hoping the new iMac will be available around autumn.

Advertisement