Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Reveal

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

It and the Trading places: throw in some John Carpenter and it is turning into my ultimate movie night :D

Big trouble in little China :D

Or you mean scary Carpenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sinclair Spectrums were great, I'm thinking of going back to one.

In 4th place with 8 points is -
    The Purple Tin

Repo Man 1984
    Dir: Alex Cox

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 7 IMDB Rating: 6.9

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/

Repo-Man-Poster.jpg

Synopsis [Courtesy of IMDB]

A young punk recruited by a car repossession agency finds himself in pursuit of a Chevrolet Malibu that is wanted for a $20,000 bounty - and has something otherworldly stashed in its trunk.

Review

This is a movie I’ve had on my radar but never really knew what it was about. I just knew Emilio was in it and he is usually a good watch, at least his early stuff. Wow, where to start. This is probably the most bizarre movie I’ve watched in a while and bizarre is good. I just switched off and enjoyed this one. The way the scenes were switching was confusing to me it was like I was tripping. I mean, it all made sense in the end, well in the movie world at least. A glowing car floating up into the air is normal, right? The characters in this movie were really fun. Emilio’s trademark laugh was there, gets me everytime. Love the use of location, real gritty, 80s Los Angeles. Iggy Pop did the soundtrack, it was okay, could have been better. For the sci fi/comedy genre, this is a real good pick and really surprised me.

Trivia

Director Alex Cox and Universal Pictures own the rights to the movie with neither allowed to create a sequel without the others' consent. Alex Cox would direct Repo Chick in 2009 with Universal not happy with the connection. Universal would then go on to release Repo Men in 2010 with Alex Cox not happy with the name connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I know I've seen the Neverending Story loads when I was younger, but couldn't tell you a single thing about the movie now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kolido wrote: »
    Big trouble in little China :D

Or you mean scary Carpenter?
    All good but I would lean to his action flicks. I would have nominated Big Trouble or maybe They Live or Escape from New York but I wanted to pick less well known films for this one.

• Advertisement

So the final 6
    Sawduck
    Liz
    Levar
    Purg
    Shaneu
    Aris

Oh :o

In 9th place with 3 points is -
    Aris

Jagged Edge 1985
    Dir: Richard Marquand

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - Yes (Probably)

My Rating: 6 IMDB Rating: 6.5

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089360/

Jagged_edge_poster.jpg

A wealthy woman is murdered in her beach house. The husband is allegedly knocked out first. He inherits all. He has a female ex criminal prosecutor represent him in court.

Review

I’m sure I’ve seen this before but I couldn’t recall much about it. There are much better legal thrillers around, this one is just about watchable in my opinion. The plot is too predictable to be overly interesting. The acting is nothing beyond standard. I thought Jeff Bridges acting, or maybe it was just his character, was boring. The first half was mainly about the aftermaths of the opening scene murder and the build up to the court hearing with the court itself being the main setting for the second half of the movie. They tried to place a twist in the end but you could see it a mile away. This is the first of writer Joe Eszterhas’ San Francisco trilogy, along with Basic Instinct and Jade, which I may watch. I haven’t seen Jade before. I can’t see me watching this again anytime soon, not a great pick it has to be said.

Trivia

Jane Fonda and Kevin Costner both turned down the lead roles

In 3rd place with 9 points is -
    Purgative

Das Boot 1981
    Dir: Wolfgang Petersen

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 7 IMDB Rating: 8.3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

Das_boot_ver1.jpg

The claustrophobic world of a WWII German U-boat; boredom, filth and sheer terror.

Review

Another Wolfgang Peterson movie in this round, the Spielberg of the 70s. Let me say this first, I’m not really a fan of war movies, I prefer to watch documentaries. However this one is more drama and dare I say, horror at times. Didn’t really know what to expect with this movie, obviously I heard of it but didn’t know too much about it. I watched the theatrical release, which is probably the shortest version but was still over two and a half hours. Apparently there is much less character development in this one. Probably the greatest aspect of this movie is the claustrophobic setting and it really does get to you in the last hour or so. When the u-boat gets shelled and they are stuck at the bottom of the sea, it was very unsettling to watch. I thought the acting here was great. I don’t know too much about cinematography but I think they got it spot on here to create the claustrophobic setting. A subtitled movie which I’m not a big fan of but it didn’t bother me too much here as the movie is mostly slowly paced which gives time to read the subs without much distraction. The ending, I did not expect and the movie just left me with a lot to ponder. I will rewatch this one as I think there is much more to experience than I can in one viewing. A movie I didn’t expect to be picked in this round but a great pick indeed.

Trivia

Two American productions of the movie were originally proposed with Robert Redford and Paul Newman playing the role of the Captain before being shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I loved Das Boot such a wonderful movie, great choice

• Advertisement

In 10th place with 2 points is -
    ShaneU

Raising Arizona 1987
    Dir: Joel Coen

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 5 IMDB Rating: 7.3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093822/

Raising-Arizona-Poster.jpg

When a childless couple of an ex-con and an ex-cop decide to help themselves to one of another family's quintuplets, their lives become more complicated than they anticipated.

Review

May have seen this before or at least partially, certainly have heard of it, who hasn’t. There wasn’t too much I enjoyed about this movie to be honest. The Coen Brothers are a bit hit and miss for me. Again, not being the biggest fan of the comedy genre could have something to do with it also. Let’s start with the story line, I might be being harsh here but stealing a baby is not funny. Then the acting, I got a few chuckles it must be said, but overall it was trying too hard to be funny. I prefer Nicolas Cage in his over the top 90s action movies. Holly hunter, I don’t know if she cracked a smile in the whole movie, and this is a comedy. The two escaped convicts played by John Goodman and William Forsythe were actually funny. The chase scenes and fight scenes were way over done, there was no need for them really. Then the guy on the bike, again, why? The music, while it suited the movie, is not my cup of tea. Way too many negative than positives here, and I probably have been generous in my rating. I suppose this movie works for a lot of people on some level, you just have to look at the reviews on IMDB, but I didn’t like it at all. Unfortunately not a good pick

Trivia

The film ranks 31st on the American Film Institute's 100 Years...100 Laughs list

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

giphy.gif

Sawduck wrote: »
    I loved Das Boot such a wonderful movie, great choice
    The book is a great read too.

ShaneU wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Ah it just didn't work for me, as I said, look at the rating, it must be doing something right. Take my opinion with a pinch of salt! :D

In 2nd place with 10 points is -
    Sawduck

Near Dark 1987
    Dir: Kathryn Bigelow

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 7 IMDB Rating: 7

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093605/

Neardarktheatposter.jpg

A small-town farmer's son reluctantly joins a traveling group of vampires after he is bitten by a beautiful drifter.

Review

Near Dark has been on my watchlist for quite some time, surprised I've only got around to watching it now. A neo-western horror, not something you see everyday. Kathryn Bigelow wanted to make a western originally but found the idea difficult to sell, so with vampire movies being popular at the time (Fright Night and The Lost Boys), she combines both genres here to great effect. I remembered while watching this that she was married to Aliens director James Cameron (though not at the time of making this movie) who actually makes a cameo in the movie and the movie Aliens is referenced also. Three actors from Aliens also star here. Trivia aside, how did I like the movie? Well in short, it is pretty good. I found the scenes very well done, big budget you could say and mostly good direction. I found myself really enthralled with the scene where Caleb is turning and trying to make his way home, it was like draining my energy just watching him, that was really something. The ending was so-so, but what's the best way to kill vampires, a fist fight doesn't really work, I think they did it okay here if a bit underwhelming. It was a really well paced movie, never slows down too much and with a runtime of an hour and a half, just about right. Characters are quite unique, if you like Bill Paxton in Aliens, you will like him here, he is quite eccentric. Plot was okay, nothing negative to say about it. Soundtrack, by Tangerine Dream was really nice. Another decent pick and one I was really happy to watch.

Trivia

Michael Biehn, of The Terminator and Aliens fame, both movies directed by Bigelow's future husband Cameron, was offered the role of Hooker but turned it down as he found the script too confusing. The role eventually went to Lance Henriksen.

In 11th place with 1 point is -
    LeVar

Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity 1987
    Dir: Ken Dixon

Heard of it - No
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 4 IMDB Rating: 4.6

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093991/

Poster_of_the_move_Slave_Girls_from_Beyond_Infinity.jpg

Lovely and resourceful Daria and Tisa escape a space gulag only to crash land on a nearby world where a guy in tight pants named Zed is playing The Most Dangerous Game. Zed turns the girls and another guest loose in his jungle preserve to serve as the prey in a mad hunt. Armed only with knives and their wits, the girls must battle their way across the jungle to a hidden arms cache before Zed catches and kills them.

Review

I don't mind watching B-movies, but those that I like I find are few and far between. Despite the movie title, there was unfortunately not that much female nudity. The plot, acting, effects, script were all poor here it has to be said. I don't know what they were smoking when they made this nor indeed what
    LeVar
    was smoking when he nominated it. Funny enough, even though I've only given this movie a 4, 1 of which is for effort and 3 of which are for the wardrobe department, I kind of found myself enjoying this movie at times. The male lead was actually not that bad of an actor. Look, there is not much more I can say about this, you stuck to your guns with another B-movie, kudos for that. It's nice you picked it as I would never have watched it otherwise. Unlucky though.

Trivia

Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity was specifically criticized on the floor of the U.S. Senate by Jesse Helms (R-North Carolina) in 1992.[4] Senator Helms cited a case in which some of his constituents had accidentally stumbled onto the movie while flipping through cable channels as justification for amendments to the Cable Act of 1992. Helms wanted to force cable operators to block "indecent" programming unless customers specifically asked for it in writing. The amendment was struck down by a U.S, Federal Court in 1993 and the decision was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I regret nothing.

Some people will just never appreciate the cinema greats. :pac:

In 1st place with 11 points is -
    Liz

Back To The Future 1985
    Dir: Robert Zemeckis

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 8.5 IMDB Rating: 8.5

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/

Back_to_the_Future.jpg

Marty McFly, a 17-year-old high school student, is accidentally sent thirty years into the past in a time-traveling DeLorean invented by his close friend, the eccentric scientist Doc Brown.

Review

Well it looks like someone activated the cheat code here (Joking). I had planned to mention in the signups OP not to nominate any movies from my previous walrus but forgot. When I got this one I had to play fair and take it as a legitimate nomination. That house keeping aside, let’s get to the review. This is without a doubt in my top 10 favourite movies of all time. It was even the inspiration for my second outing as Werewolf mod. This movie has everything an 80s show should have, humour, setting, gadgets, music, and cool actors. Biff Tannen, one of the most iconic villains of all time. I don't think any actor of his generation could have played Marty McFly better than MJF. Then of course Christopher Lloyd, Crispin Glover, and Lea Thompson, all played their parts perfectly. All 5 main cast would return for the sequels apart from Glover, why he didn’t is disputed. Speaking of sequels, this is probably my favourite movie trilogy. One thing I love about this movie is everytime a watch it, and I have watched it a lot, I see something I missed on previous viewing, whether it be a piece of dialogue or an object or action on screen that explains something else later in the movie. This is a movie I hope they never reboot unless our LeVar plays Marty! Will there be better movies in this contest, possibly, but this is up there with the best. An excellent pick.

Trivia

Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty as Zemeckis’ first choice, Michael J Fox was unavailable. Not happy with Stoltz, Zemeckis made the necessary arrangements to hire Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Neowise

***Cheatcode detected***

Thanks all for tuning in, had great fun watching those. See you again next month for Round 3 - The 90s

Standings after round 2

Player|70s|80s|total
    Sawduck |11|10|21
    Diamonds |9|7|16
    Liz |5|11|16
    Purgative |6|9|15
    Necro |8|4|12
    ShaneU |10|2|12
    SineadSpears |7|5|12
    The Purple Tin |2|8|10
    Rebe |3|6|9
    Aris |4|3|7
    LeVar |1|1|2

• Advertisement

Some great films there.
    The 80s had some seriously cool cinema :cool:

Brilliant choice Liz.. seen it so many times & it still never gets old

Thank you Kol that was entertaining. Well done Liz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Great reveal kol and congrats on winning liz, really great pick

Thanks Kolido that was fun..

Havent seen a lot of the movies though.

Looking forward to the 90s, I love my nom whatever it may score :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Cool reveal Kolido.

Harsh score for Raising Arizona. I watched it recently and gave it a 7.5 in my black book of films.:cool:

Holly Hunter's character wasn't the smiley type. The fight scene with John Goodman and Nicholas Cage was one of the highlights of the movie. The biker was a necessary twist to the plot, as if only the parents/cops were in search for the baby, the trope would have fitted the trite formula of a regular 'missing person' movie.

There isn't much that should be off-limits to comedic fun; there was no nasty element to the kidnap, as the kid's dad was an ego-driven caricature of an outlandish cowboy, the kidnappers were a flawed but likeable feuding duo, and the escaped prisoners were just silly clowns there to be ridiculed. No baby was harmed during the making of this movie!

I also rated Jagged Edge. I saw it last year and gave it an 8.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The conclusion to this will take place on Friday off site. If you are not sure where that is, please send me pm and I will give you a link.

Advertisement