Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Level Up BarKade Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yeahirock

Thanks so much!

I'll fire off an email and get involved!

Appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got a pin today myself and I've also hosted a few meets throughout the years we've been doing it.

No league last year unfortunately and probably not this year either. Big Ian is the man to contact about being on the mailing list for the league

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yeahirock

I've signed up for the mailing list. I'm looking forward to the next one, hopefully things go back to some normality and we'll see a meet this year! Really hoping to be picking up a pin in the next year or so.

What pin did you get?

No league last year unfortunately and probably not this year either. Big Ian is the man to contact about being on the mailing list for the league

Hopefully it gets back to the few golden years.
    Copious bags of cans and 100s of burgers :D
    and oh yea.....pinball!

But with covid I cant see many willing to open up their collections. My own is down to a scabby 2 pins & 2 vids

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I'd love a pin but don't know much about them or what to look out for when buying.

Has anyone looked into "virtual pins"? I see one for sale in the UK here that looks amazing to me,:
    Virtual Pin

Would be great to play Adams Family, Tales from the Crypt, Lethal Weapon 3 on a single machine. I do remember playing a smaller virtual pin in the arcades years ago called Revenge from Mars that was great. (Actually I just looked this up and this wasn't a virtual pin but had a cool virtual overlay feature on a real pin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've never actually played a virtual pinball machine. Any idea if they use head tracking at all?

If there was some way of implementing that, so you could get a nice 3D depth effect I'd say it could be quite interesting.

Some of them are actually pretty impressive. Shaker motors and the like really make it seem like your playing a real machine.

Some pins are designed only for virtual too and have a lot of things impossible on a real table. Check out the aliens virtual pinball.

To me though it's just impossible to 100% emulate a real pinballs. Haven't a virtual one too would definitely lead to a Pandora's box situation. 1000 games on a box and you spend more time picking one out then playing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

To me though it's just impossible to 100% emulate a real pinballs.

Agreed, emulation can only bring you so far. A physical pinball table is just something that emulation can't approach, & I say that as a proponent of emulation. Vector monitor stuff is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I was reading up on it a few minutes ago and there seems to be a whole community on vpforums.org dedicated to virtual pinball using 3D TV's and head tracking with the kinect2. Would love to try it just to see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some pins are designed only for virtual too and have a lot of things impossible on a real table. Check out the aliens virtual pinball.

That's absolutely class!

Yeah I'd say there's a lot of scope for virtual pinball to actually use the virtual element to do some mad ****e altogether rather than just emulating the standard pinball experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭dav09

Virtual Pinballs look cool, certainly easier to keep running than a lot of pins (particularly older ones although some have good solutions) along with the way pins have went price wise the past few years it makes sense for home collections for a lot of people. I can't imagine them being as good as the real thing but there's a lot of trade offs for owning pins, it's depends on the person but they have good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coffey87

Hi All

Just wondering is Level Up still on the go, gone very quiet on Social Media? I know not much to say with the lockdown, still got me worried, really looking forward to returning when back to normal

coffey87 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just wondering is Level Up still on the go, gone very quiet on Social Media? I know not much to say with the lockdown, still got me worried, really looking forward to returning when back to normal

Yeah all is good on our side. No one anticipated a lockdown this length and with little gov supports it's tricky for a lot in the trade but still planning on re-opening. A tricky and worrying few weeks ahead of us when we open back potentially, depending on what the government do so will need support from people initially anyway. A lot of work going on in the background and trying to continuously improve the place in any way we can while closed.

As for social media, there was about 3 dramas in I'd say about 2 months mostly bs stuff so taking some well-needed time away before we slowly ramp it back up again. :pac:

Cheers and looking forward to being back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

dav09 wrote: »
    Yeah all is good on our side. No one anticipated a lockdown this length and with little gov supports it's tricky for a lot in the trade but still planning on re-opening. A tricky and worrying few weeks ahead of us when we open back potentially, depending on what the government do so will need support from people initially anyway. A lot of work going on in the background and trying to continuously improve the place in any way we can while closed.

As for social media, there was about 3 dramas in I'd say about 2 months mostly bs stuff so taking some well-needed time away before we slowly ramp it back up again. :pac:

Cheers and looking forward to being back!

Whenever all this never ending covid is over I cannot wait to get down for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

The more I see of these guys on social media etc the more excited I am :) I'm still too chicken to risk a big night out like that, even fully vaxxed I simply can't be off sick for weeks or months on end..but I really hope to one day soon.

Fantastic! And I totally get that, I know we've put a particular emphasis on cleaning games and great vaccine take up but still no place can guarantee you 100% as people can still transmit it with the vaccine. No rush but definitely do when you feel more comfortable 😀

For those who haven't/ don't follow social media, here's some recent images of the place (one or two games being repaired at the minute), have some more exciting things & improvements in the works for the place too:

Some awesome stuff there. Never seen a primal rage cab here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, haven't seen a Primal Rage cabinet since it being in an arcade in the 90s, and it's looking like it's in great condition too.

If only the game itself we better than it's brief comic value... 😅

There was a couple of primal rage boards here back in the day apparently but this is probably one of the last cabinets left, I believe it's a US import, not sure if they made cabinets here or probably just conversion kits, and true it's a little bit of fun but more of a novelty due to it's gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Anybody know What hours the family friendly hours are there?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Deadly, my missus is meeting her college friends in Limerick in a few weeks and I'm coming along to mind the boy so we will have to pop in!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

Saw on Facebook that Level Up is closing down? Gutted :(

Looks to be reopening based on Twitter, delighted if so!

Cheers :) It's been a long few months

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was definitely one in Dublin Airport and one in Leisureplex Coolock. I remember Leisureplex also had Hyperduel which I loved, that one was a deepcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

@dav there was a PR cabinet in the vic in the 90's also ....great to hear that you could be opening again !

Cheers @geotrig

Yeah the Vic was a great spot, I don't personally remember the primal rage cabinet but for sure some of my earliest arcade memories are from there i.e. first time playing Daytona. They had a few other good cabinets too I believe one of the Time Crisis ones and a good few others but was a long time ago.

• Advertisement

Any concept changes lined up or similar to what was in place previously? When do you plan to announce the new location (I assume its a new location anyway)?

Advertisement