Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Showers making their way right across the country and even beefing up, haven't had a morning like this in quite some time in Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Supercell wrote: »
    Showers making their way right across the country and even beefing up, haven't had a morning like this in quite some time in Dublin.

Same out here ( love the flowers on your posts!)

But God bless him; the postman got here... depends on the wind direction. He was armour plated in luminous yellow...

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Very windy in Dublin but it's been mostly sunny at least the last couple of hours, going to get to the park soon for a run I hope I don't get drenched

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just had a very heavy hail shower, even some sleet mixed in with it.

Yup left the house 60 seconds later back in house completely drenched, the hail hurt in that wind

• Advertisement

A ruffled ocean ..usually flat calm in shelter; I could barely stand up. Just behind the garden fence..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

The hail showers here today in NCD are unreal.

Got drenched and hailstones were so sore on my face and legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

any reports from Dunshaughlin/Ashbourne? there was an intense-looking shower there on the radar about an hour ago, almost streamer-like.

got out for a jog around 5 before a pretty mental hail storm in D5. The wind is absolutely baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A very raw and windy day in Central Mayo also. Heavy and blustery showers of mainly hail rolled in from the Atlantic from early morning. Not the most pleasant day to be out in but the ever changing cloudscapes were quite something at times. Some very impressive cloudtops on those hail showers.

546717.jpg

546718.jpg

546719.jpg

546720.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Snowflakes mixed in the current shower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

XC weather thinks it’s going to snow here tomorrow night. We’ll see.

The upper air would need to cool by 2c or so

Some heavy showers through the night here, falling as snow above 700 feet.

https://streamable.com/qj6jsd

Temperatures are just a degree or so too high for sea level snow

A wild, cold, loud morning here. Deluges battering and wind howling.

Same as yesterday and it seems to have been thus for " ever". And I am very glad it is not my week for a shopping delivery as they could not cross yesterday and it looks as bad today.

A day to light the fire and dream of summer...

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow on the Ox Mountains in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Slight dusting of snow on the cars early this morning in Kildare

The last shower was very prolonged and heavy, finally leaving a covering of snow above 250 metres. It is rapidly melting but nice to see.

UXj0lh0.jpg
    v2bcrio.jpg

The Sperrins look to be well coated above 500 metres.

W1cHj6s.jpg

It will be interesting to see if it snows to low levels in Ulster tonight.

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain at times during the period. Potential for surface and river flooding.

Valid: 15:00 Friday 12/03/2021 to 15:00 Saturday 13/03/2021

Just had an almighty thunderclap!

and a deluge again. Hail . Did not expect that..

Whatever has happened to the weather this year.

West Mayo offshore.

Just read the met.ie summary and they were 100 % correct about this afternoon to the last detail. Amazing!

Interesting article from the French Met on factors which favour Night cooling. Mouthe is a good example of this. Personally I never even considered tree coverage as a factor.

-the fact that the valleys are sparsely wooded. The absence of vegetation at the bottom of the valley favors the cooling of the soil compared to areas covered with forests, which on the contrary help to limit losses by radiation;
    -the presence of snow on the ground, which causes a much greater loss of energy than grass, especially when it comes to fresh snow. In an already cold air mass, the presence of snow will promote an additional drop in air temperature which can reach 10 to 20 degrees depending on the nature of the crystals on the surface of the snowpack;
    -the particular topography of the flat-bottomed valleys. This form of "bowl" favors the loss of energy by radiation

Full article https://meteofrance.com/actualites-et-dossiers/magazine/les-secrets-de-la-meteo/la-meteo-en-questions/pourquoi-mouthe-doubs

• Advertisement

Very dark and thundery here. Lashing rain and only 4c hail mixed in too. Got my thunder headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just 3 degrees in Newport at 4pm.

Thatd be the tornado

pauldry wrote: »
    Thatd be the tornado

What tornado? :eek:

Down to 5.3c and moderate rain, evaporative cooling quickly taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

5pm
    Knock 2 degrees
    Claremorris 3 degrees
    Finner 4 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We had a very heavy hail shower a while ago. It's been a while since i saw one as good as this, just a pity it had to turn to rain after about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wouldn't be surprised to see a dusting of snow for some overnight. Higher ground but at lower levels too.

Icy blobs in rain here. 4c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Horrible evening the weather is nearly worse than covid at this stage. I do a lot of distance running this week I’ve been soaked Monday night Tuesday night Wednesday night and last night cut in half with an icy wind. Tonight is honestly out of the question it’s just to wet and cold out there.

Advertisement