Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Debris (NBC) [** Spoilers **]

• 28-01-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭

Starts the first of March in the States. From the producers of Fringe (and has a similar vibe I think).
    When mysterious wreckage starts falling from the sky, a secretive international agency is tasked with figuring out what it is, where it came from, and most importantly… what it can do. British agent Finola Jones and American agent Bryan Beneventi are partners who have very different styles – she's warm, intuitive and detail-oriented, and he's charming, confident and guarded. But they have no choice but to trust each other as they track down the debris scattered across the Western Hemisphere. Each fragment has unpredictable, powerful and sometimes dangerous effects on the everyday people who find it. Every discovery is also a race against time, because shadowy outside forces seek these objects for nefarious purposes.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You're not kidding; those trailers are giving off deeply "Fringe" vibes, if only for the freaky science. Awww, I miss Walter Bishop.

It also strikes as the kind of show that I won't try until I know it hasn't been cancelled, cos it smells of a Mystery Box oriented story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fringe vibes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,926 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do like the lead actor, will give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Another one touted as the Next X Files or Fringe

From IGN
    Check out the debut of a lengthy clip from the series premiere of NBC's Debris, featuring the first 12 minutes of the episode. Debris revolves around CIA operative Bryan Beneventi (Jonathan Tucker) and MI6 agent Finola Jones (Ryan Steele), an unlikely pair tasked with stopping alien technology from falling into the wrong hands. In this sci-fi landscape, the debris from a mysterious alien craft has scattered across the globe, with plenty of people hoping to harness that tech for good or evil.

Debris will premiere on NBC on Monday, March 1, 2021 at 10pm ET.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: merged threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not all that impressed by the opening sequence

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I do like the lead actor, will give it a look

He was really good in Justified

As one comment I read said, it's more than likely the next "The Event" or "Flash Forward" rather than Fringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wasn't that impressed with the pilot, It really felt like a very bad episode of Fringe with a bad cast.

The end showing what's coming this season Debris offered more than the pilot so I'll give it a few more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah definitely Fringe or Threshold vibes off this but will reserve judgement till I'm a few episodes in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bit silly
    to go meet life sucking force without backup

Interesting enough for me to keep watching but it does feel like I've missed the first half of the show

They'll have to do at least 1 flashback episode about how it all began with the debris coming here

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They'll have to do at least 1 flashback episode about how it all began with the debris coming here

With this stations past it'll be cancelled by then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Liked that. The newish feel of the scifi ideas and knowing the Fringe and Almost Human folks are involved has me thinking it'll be good for those. Look and feel wise, it feels like they are falling somewhere around (maybe a bit under) the Travelers tv show level.

Guessing that
    the US is recreating an engine in their hanger. When he got on his buggy first, I was like SPACESHIP! but then I guess it might be too early for the show to go there. I like that they are looking at Anti-Gravity and Phasing. Will see if they go somewhere like impulse/jumper on the phasing front.

I know we're only 2 episodes in but they'll need to change the format soon. Like this week's was already farfetched. Or they need to explain why each piece somehow has completely different magical properties.
    I'd see through it if it was items from a ship but these seem to just simply be like parts of a ship. So it's like touching the wheel of a car and going through the floor then touching the boot and seemingly bringing someone back from the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It seems like the show has very little momentum even after only 2 episodes. Reminds me a bit of Flashforward or Manifest- has an inkling of an idea, a mix of good and bad actors and a blaa plot.

Yeah it seems another show where it was pitched as "Okay we have an idea where things from space cause weird stuff to happen" and were just given the go ahead without anyone asking if they had a 3-5 season plan?

I'm weirdly disappointed to hear this is guff. There's a big space IMO for a Fringe style show these days, and given sci-fi has never been so popular you'd think someone would have cracked the code by now.

2: Alright, I wanna know what
    these Aliens are planning. All their tech seems to be screwing with peoples bodies! Then these voicelines at the end. Sounds ominous. Wonder if yer wans father has been body snatched.

• Advertisement

After episode 3 this is interesting enough (my type of show) to keep watching but the two lead actors are horrendous. Just no chemistry or anything - they're no Mulder and Skully which was one of the attractions of the X-Files

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah it seems another show where it was pitched as "Okay we have an idea where things from space cause weird stuff to happen" and were just given the go ahead without anyone asking if they had a 3-5 season plan?
    Show runner claims they have all the answers and will do a mix of story-of-the-week/mythos and begin to unlock them, working from his time on 'Fringe'.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Episode 3 was an improvement.
    This show could be finding its feet.

Made me think of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

3: Reminded me a bit of Arrival .. the misty look of the tech and
    the sound effect when it shutdown after the first talk with the father. Jenna from Impulse
    (boards.ie thread)
    being the daughter was cool! Hope to see more of her. I wonder what's up with the boss back in HQ... seems to be family related but it was wierd how it went down. Then the ominous credits again. Still guessing some kinda body snatching going on.

4: Liked the tech in that one. Can't remember seeing a
    combined environment and beings terraforming tech
    in a show before. Have seen both separately for sure. I like how the show feels reasonably grounded. The edges feel like when they try to expand to the wider world like with
    the MI5 scenes.

5 episodes in and do we know anything about the debris yet apart from "Oh something strange happened, it must be debris"?
    Might as well be called "MacGuffin" or "Plot Device" since the series so far has just been some kind of conspiracy show.

5 episodes in and do we know anything about the debris yet apart from "Oh something strange happened, it must be debris"?
    Might as well be called "MacGuffin" or "Plot Device" since the series so far has just been some kind of conspiracy show.

Nada!

Viewership on a steady decline each week as the viewers are left in the dark about anything.
    I'm trying to even think if Finola's father death mystery was given any introduction or just thrown out there he may not be dead

5: Felt like this episode was about the distrust of all the groups involved. Not sure if it's going to stay the procedural cop-investigation style episodic show.

Overall it feels like the show is hitting a wall in terms of its budget. I keep seeing the Canadian cast members I recognise from other shows and I think Canada but they are portraying places America and China and England. It feels like if they had just even a small bit more footage in those places it might help. No Statue of Liberty seen in New York for example.

Really liking how the ominous radio is done at the end of each episode.

• Advertisement

6: Story was a decent scifi. The overarching story has me a bit hooked now. Then those credits scenes/sounds/things.. I really like how they are done.

Advertisement