Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creed 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

hopefully he is involved. Creed 2 was OK, but really enjoyed Creed 1 and the last Rocky film

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Handing over directing reigns to MBJ is a little surprising. Hope he can deliver something at least as good as the sequel, I think it may be a bit ambitious to think he can match the quality of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1369769958251630595

Michael to direct and star, but is Sly involved?

He has to be involved in some way, since the series so far has been so reliant on the predecessors. I personally think having Drago's son as the opponent in Creed 2 was a misstep and limited the new audience it was supposedly going for. I hope there's a completely new opponent and less of a focus on Rocky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I personally think having Drago's son as the opponent in Creed 2

I'm sure Clubber Lang has a son :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I actually enjoyed creed 2 and thought 1 was excellent. Hard to see where they could go with it to be honest that hasn't been done already in the previous Rocky films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jonathan Majors In Talks To Square Off Against Michael B. Jordan In Boxing Ring For ‘Creed III’
    MGM and first-time director Michael B. Jordan have set their sights on Lovecraft Country star Jonathan Majors to be his adversary in the ring for Creed III, sources said. Negotiations are underway for Majors to star in the film as Adonis Creed’s ring nemesis.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/jonathan-majors-creed-iii-in-talks-michael-b-jordan-boxing-ring-nemesis-1234767788/

Please don't be Clubber Lang's son...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Please don't be Clubber Lang's son...

Agreed. I didn't really like Creed 2 because it had too many ties to the past. Creed 1 was great, and, while it obviously was tethered to the past of the franchise, it felt like a fresh beginning, but recycling too much of the past is going to kill this franchise. I hope Rocky does die before this movie begins, so we are in uncharted territories. One of the things I didn't like about Creed was the feeling that his world was so small: he's the world champion, and it's him, his wife and Rocky. Where's everybody else? Where's the entourage? The business guys? Etc. Hopefully they will expand that aspect, and shine some light on the ugly, inside world of boxing. I'd like to see Creed kill a guy in the ring and struggle with that. It would be a dilemma for the character, echoing the death of his own father, and give Jordan a chance to act his bollocks off.

Either that or Rocky comes out of retirement to face Creed and give him the fight denied his father :)

I thought 2 was a bore but the first was great so would have hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

Looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Majors is BIG!

Looks great. Visceral in the ring, and plenty of dramatics out of it.

Hope it delivers.

Looks good. I loved Creed I, Creed 2 was a drag, so hopefully this picks up the energy a bit. My only criticism of this franchise is that the world consists of Donnie, Rocky and Bianca; where are their friends/families/business advisors/entourage etc. Their world feels a bit hermetically sealed and artificial and they also need to inject a bit of fun into these movies as well. Rocky always had Paulie, Mickey, hell even Paulie's robot, for a bit of levity. It can't all be serious and gloomy when you're a millionaire champion of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,330 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just out of this now. Solid movie, better than Creed 2 but not as good as the original, but overall well worth a watch. Didn't realise Michael B. Jordan directed it as well, solid debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good film. Worth a watch.

Better than the first 2 ? Nope. Still worth seeing though.

One of the earlier fights in this film stole the show for me. It was hard to think about anything else, and that included the final sequence.

For me, the best bit of the Creed films is that sigh Stallone does when he finally sees his grandkid. "You look... just like his mother".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this yesterday and it started off really well and as someone mentioned already, there was a fight that took place about 3/4 of the way through which far exceeded the actually final battle. Comparing like with like, its no Rocky III, even though the latter was made 40 years ago, the fight sequences were more exciting and the "Bad guy" here is no Clubber lang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Not perfect but enjoyable. It definitely felt wobbly at times and may have been better in the hands of someone more experienced but Jordan did a competent enough job for his first effort directing. Majors was the best thing about it and was not a simple bad guy vs good guy character. You actually feel sorry for him by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Watching the earlier Creed films after seeing 3 really highlights how different it is with Jordon directing. This one feels much less grounded then the prior 2 so the change in director is very noticeable. Majors is indeed the best thing about the film. Shame if you go by the trailer a lot of stuff was left on the cutting room floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wow! This is not good.

I've enjoyed the franchise to-date, and I was genuinely excited about seeing this and I really fail to see why it's been so well regarded. It's not good at all.

I'm too lazy to add spoiler tags, and I also wanna be nice, so I'll just be vague

Plot is contrived as f*ck. The "politics" that develop en route to the climatic fight are seriously testing.

Tell, don't show is apparent throughout. They do Viktor seriously dirty as well (twice) in this movie.

There's a few nice flourishes, and Majors is absolutely an MVP, but by and large, this is not the movie I wanted, or expected to see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just out of this.

I really didn’t like Creed 2 but been hearing good things about this and it was meh.

Visually the fights looks stunning. Michael B Jordan did a great job in directing them. Similar to Creed 2 I feel like the stakes weren’t high enough. Jonathan majors was good but I would have had him play a more out and out villain.

I felt they were torn between making him a sympathetic villain and a big bad. Creed 2 was pissed away completely by one scene in this movie as well. Not to mention they are desperately trying to push the franchise forward with a deaf female lead to tick the diversity boxes that every major requels are desperate to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Creed III – 6.5/10

A vast improvement on Creed II but suffers from being too formulaic. You can predict every single story beat; And 3, 2, 1… FLASHBACK! And 3, 2, 1… MONTAGE! Etc…

This Creed series seems to be trying to make the world seem a bit more grounded, with the Showtime reels and the use of Tony Bellew (which still seems massively out of place to me), but the plot here isn’t at all feasible. You’re expected to buy into the premise that someone can be released after 18 years in Prison and then be handed a World Heavyweight title shot within a few weeks. You’re also expected to believe that the baby-faced Michael B. Jordan is now “too old for this ****”. Giving him a moustache just doesn’t cut it. 

Despite all of that, I found it to be solidly entertaining. The fight scenes (the first boxing scenes to be shot using iMax cameras) are superb and Jonathan Majors is the best adversary so far in the Creed series. Between this and Quantumania, he is proving himself to be a magnetic screen presence. Every time he is on screen you are hanging on to his every word. It’s a shame you can’t say the same for Michael B. Jordan, whose inferiority is plain to see. 

The big difference between the Creed films and the Rocky films is that the character of Rocky is a thousand times the more compelling. MBJ struggles to carry the spotlight and badly misses having Stallone to play off of. It seems to have exposed MJB as being somewhat of a weak link in his own franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I enjoyed all the Rocky films apart from 5. I also enjoyed Creed 1 and 2. This is on the level of Rocky 5 for me though.

I thought it was a very poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

Great summary!

Yeah, MBJ doesn't bring the necessary gravitas to carry these movies forward as their biggest selling point. Far from it! And since they can't really course-correct that aspect now, I'd say three movies (one great and two mediocre ones) is as good of a stopping point as any..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It wasn't great alright. The crunch match at the end had no tension to it. Just showed a few clips from a couple of rounds, and then over. The main selling point for the auld Rocky fights was the big fight at the end and the tension around it. I didn't see any of that from Creed 3. And I think the lavish lifestyle of Creed takes away from the film too. I didn't feel any desire for him to win the fight. I felt more sympathy towards the other guy, and was hoping for a "shock" result.

I don't know why they came up with an 18 year prison sentence for the opponent. Even if it was 4 or 5 years, you could get over the fact that he comes out of prison, has a few weeks training, one match, and then fighting for the world title. But 18 years is far too absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Exactly. I was totally out of the movie most of the time.

Even with the Rocky movies there is some outrageous things that would ever happen in real life, but somehow you are drawn into the universe of the movie and for the duration of the movie you dont question what happens in that world.

Creed 1 and II were similar. But with Creed III it never drew me into the world and i was constanlty saying, well that idea is totally off the wall altogether. That would never happen. example being the one yu pointed out. Guy comes out of prison after 28 years and is stright away put in sparring with th undisputed heavyweight champ of the world. Then a feww week later he not only gets a title fight, but destroys the undisputed heavyweight champ of the world.

You might say Rocky was the same but you were properly sucked into and immersed the world where this could happen. Creed III didnt do that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Thanks.

Being honest, Creed 3 gets worse in my mind the more I think about it. 6.5/10 is a very generous score. I blame the script more than anything. It's thin and needed beefing up.

The problem is that Adonis doesn't come across as a real character. He's very dull and his life is dull: him and boxing, and his wife and his kid. No friends, no fun, no champagne lifestyle like you'd expect from American boxers. Rocky was a dumb but sweet underdog, a manual labourer, with not much to him, but he was surrounded by great supporting characters/actors and Stallone had the charisma to pull it off and make him likeable. Adonis had a bit of character/story in Creed 1 (the youthful anger, and wanting to prove himself) but he got his redemption in it and grew up to be the man he is, albeit a rather boring one. We didn't need sequels. His story was done in 1. Creed 2 was a depressing slog and Creed 3 was just boring. They can't really go anywhere from here because the character has nowhere to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement