Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

• 10-03-2021 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

I haven't seen a thread on this but a quite disturbing story appeared last week about a missing girl, Sarah Everard, a 33 year old marketing professional working in London. She apparently went missing while walking home from an unidentified friend at 9pm last week, having walked through Clapham Common. The walk should've taken less than an hour but it was unclear whether she returned home.

Last night a forensics tent was set up near where she was understood to have last been seen and today a serving officer in the Met, Wayne Couzens, has been arrested at his home in Kent and officers are digging up his garden. A woman at the address has also been arrested for suspicion of assisting him in whatever he is alleged to have done.

Awful story if something has happened to the poor girl but there is a lack of information about what apparently happened and her alleged movements the night of her disappearance. I have not seen anything which even indicates she has been murdered as of yet. There has been a lot of comments about women being afraid to walk home alone at night but I can't see how they can make these claims in respect of this disappearance until it is clear what actually happened.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9346175/Serving-Met-Police-officer-father-two-48-arrested-disappearance-Sarah-Everard.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/police-officer-is-arrested-over-disappearance-of-woman-in-london-1.4506301

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/10/sarah-everard-arrested-police-officer-not-on-duty-when-she-went-missing

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Show the victim some respect - this is not a thread to judge someone on what they should or should not have done when someone has been tragically murdered.

This is also not a thread to soapbox about making martial arts training mandatory or about the right to bear arms. If you want to do that take it elsewhere as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i wonder how they caught him, and relatively quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

The Daily Mail reported a few days ago that they had called to the property of the unnamed friend she had been meeting that night and a woman told them to go to the police if they want information. In all reports of her movements that night, there has been a lot of emphasis on the phone call she had made to her boyfriend after she left the house but a lack of information about the friend she visited.

Unfortunately and tragically, the officer has now been further arrested on suspicion of her murder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to CA as its more appropriate there. Please take note of Local Charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Be right back

Unfortunately and tragically, the officer has now been further arrested on suspicion of her murder.

Theý have now found a body. Terrible story.

• Advertisement

Theý have now found a body. Terrible story.

Awful. It reminds me of that incident a few years ago here where that young girl was grabbed off the street by that scumbag dad. I think she had an Asian family

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14302109/sarah-everard-wayne-couzens-warrant-card/

The working theory is that he enticed her into the car with some form of police identification, randomly targeting her. It was only 9pm in the evening and she was walking in London, to think this could have happened randomly is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They asked for and reviewed the cctv and doorbell cameras footage of over 750 houses and business on her assumed route home.

They then used this to figure out where she was last seen and started closing roads and lifting up manhole covers along that road.

No f’ing about with the english police system.

Here two scrote travellers with 100 convictions between them are still out on the streets and con two different elderly ladies in their 80’s out of over 120,000 - and are still wandering about.

wouldn’t happen in the uk. Joke of a country this.

Horrific whatever has happened that girl - fair dues to her friends who insisted she must have been abducted or kidnapped.

https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2021/0310/1203045-sarah-everard-london/

Initially arrested on suspicion of kidnap so had him on cctv abducting her maybe and they mention a separate of indecent exposure too. Sounds like this guy escalated very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I haven't seen a thread on this but a quite disturbing story appeared last week about a missing girl, Sarah Everard, a 33 year old marketing professional working in London. She apparently went missing while walking home from an unidentified friend at 9pm last week, having walked through Clapham Common. The walk should've taken less than an hour but it was unclear whether she returned home.

It's going off topic slightly but I am somewhat shocked to see how few posts there are on this tragic incident after the thread has been open, what 15 hours, when other topics of violence in this forum get such attention. It was a very active topic throughout yesterday on Twitter with many women having to defend Sarah from people implying she was partly responsible for having attempted to walk home on her own in the dark.
    Added to that. the fact that an active duty policeman just makes it even more troubling it will make people even doubt police officers in future should they be approached by someone claiming to be one.
    RIP to Sarah if it turns out the remains found are hers.

• Advertisement

Apparently where the body was found is a well known flytipping spot. Dumped like rubbish. Awful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’d read the headlines of this story but not the detail until now. I lived in a house on the route she walked for a year. I know that area like the back of my hand. Really brings it home. Frightening. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Awful. It reminds me of that incident a few years ago here where that young girl was grabbed off the street by that scumbag dad. I think she had an Asian family

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14302109/sarah-everard-wayne-couzens-warrant-card/

The working theory is that he enticed her into the car with some form of police identification, randomly targeting her. It was only 9pm in the evening and she was walking in London, to think this could have happened randomly is frightening.

This weirdo who tried to abduct an elderly woman in Dublin sentenced to 6 years yesterday. Shes lucky to be alive.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40241504.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭BensMixed

It's going off topic slightly but I am somewhat shocked to see how few posts there are on this tragic incident after the thread has been open, what 15 hours, when other topics of violence in this forum get such attention. It was a very active topic throughout yesterday on Twitter with many women having to defend Sarah from people implying she was partly responsible for having attempted to walk home on her own in the dark.
    Added to that. the fact that an active duty policeman just makes it even more troubling it will make people even doubt police officers in future should they be approached by someone claiming to be one.
    RIP to Sarah if it turns out the remains found are hers.

It's a terrible story. I found it shocking and sickening.

It is very surprising that the thread doesn't have more posts. There does seem to be quite a few posts on this forum about crimes that have happened and most people feel very disturbed and angry about the crimes they are posting about. Perhaps we will get more posts when more details of the story come out.

We don't have any details about the perpetrator yet.

“We have found very sadly what appears to be human remains,” says Met Police commissioner.

Ms Dick said: “At this early stage we are not able to confirm any identity and that may take us some considerable time.”

Rest in Peace, Sarah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There may be more comments/discussion as the day goes on. Who knows?

I think the reason there appears to be little interest is the fact that the murder/abduction happened across the pond.

If the remains turn out to be the missing woman (seems likely), may she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

I’ve been following this story and was desperate Sarah turned up alive. She was just walking home. As a woman who safely walked the streets of London for years, I’m appalled her life ended this way. Her poor family.

On a side note, is it unusual for the alleged perpetrator to be named and photographed in the British press? I’m sure the Met are confident they have their man, perhaps it’s to reassure the public?

It’s definitely unusual to name someone before they are charged but I say The Met want to be as transparent as possible as it’s one of their own. This guy was in the parliamentary and diplomatic division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

It’s definitely unusual to name someone before they are charged but I say The Met want to be as transparent as possible as it’s one of their own. This guy was in the parliamentary and diplomatic division.

It wasn't the MET who named him the media got wind of the police searches at his home and went over and got information from the neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If the remains turn out to be the missing woman (seems likely), may she rest in peace.

Even if it isn’t her, there have been human remains dumped in a forest. Someone has come to an undignified end and will be missed.

It’s a terribly sad story. I know the area well, having previously driven it on a commute for three years, and would have thought it to have been the safest part of the entire intended route home as outlined by the police.

• Advertisement

Apparently he was working that day in the US embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Awful story, and may she rest in peace.

The road she went missing from, Poynders Road, is a busy road at any time of the day or night. I used to live roughly where she went missing it's not a place one would hesitate to walk down at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Awful story, and may she rest in peace.

The road she went missing from, Poynders Road, is a busy road at any time of the day or night. I used to live roughly where she went missing it's not a place one would hesitate to walk down at night.

Exactly! They think she came through Clapham Common and was going to go down New Park Road, both of which I’d be more concerned about than Poynders Road. Even walking down Brixton Hill there are little grassy areas I'd be concerned about.

I think they've had this guy in their sights for a while, due to CCTV. We think it's safe along there because you wouldn't get away with it. He hasn't got away with it, but it has still happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Apparently he had just finished a shift at the US Embassy,his car was picked up on CCTV from a bus speaking to her so that's how they got their breakthrough.Working on a theory he used his warrant card and the lockdown measures as a reason to stop her.Awful if true.Still find it hard to believe she would have Willingly got into the car with him though.Both he and his brother joined the police after working in the family garage for years.

Interesting that the indecent exposure charge relates to a different female...seems they did their homework on him before they pounced.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm finding this story very shocking as well, what could be more normal than walking home from a friend's house and yet it has ended tragically. People have mentioned that those streets are normally busy but I wonder would they be any quieter at the moment with covid and people staying home more. Still shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Still find it hard to believe she would have Willingly got into the car with him though.
    Well, if the story is that he stopped her on the pretence of a Covid restrictions check, he probably was like, "That's fine, do you want a lift home so?".

She would have thought, "It's dark and dangerous to walk home, this guy is a cop, why not?".

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

seamus wrote: »
    Well, if the story is that he stopped her on the pretence of a Covid restrictions check, he probably was like, "That's fine, do you want a lift home so?".

She would have thought, "It's dark and dangerous to walk home, this guy is a cop, why not?".

God, that has chilled me to the bone. This man is married with young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

Interesting that the indecent exposure charge relates to a different female...seems they did their homework on him before they pounced.

That came about after he was arrested initially its a good chance someone seen his picture after it came out and reported him. Seem to have been a few reports of a flasher in this area even in the weeks leading up to the tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Safe to say she met a terrible death if they're unable to identify her. Poor woman.

So many questions. Talk of the officer's partner being involved? Why is he still a police officer if facing charges for another offence? (just seen the post above)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Looking at the front of the newspapers in a shop this morning; this story and gardai searching for the torso of that murdered 17 year old in drogheda....

Advertisement