Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

p15574 wrote: »
    I'm planning to look up stuff like births/marriages/deaths after 1920/1945/1960.

Irish births, marriages and deaths?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

Hermy wrote: »
    Irish births, marriages and deaths?

Well, I was going to look anyway, I haven't looked in a while at what they have, but they should at least show matches for baptisms and newspaper notices, I would imagine

So far as I can see the only Irish records for the 1900's at My Heritage are the census returns, burials and deaths from World War I.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Here's the full Irish collection at MyHeritage. I don't think there's anything unique to it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Here's the full Irish collection at MyHeritage. I don't think there's anything unique to it.

It's strange, Couldn't find some of the people I Searched for even though I knew their dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yes same here!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

OU812 wrote: »
    It's strange, Couldn't find some of the people I Searched for even though I knew their dates.
    It's free. Expect nothing, feel happy if you find something, but DO NOT give up looking elsewhere if you find nothing on MyHeritage - I've written before about that site being rubbish
    Mick Tator wrote: »
    ........... My search results were so ‘off’ I thought I was doing something wrong, so I tried using details I knew. I input details for my grandfather born 1895, Co. Tipp. The results numbered 1,499 but despite the data input he did not appear in the first 40 ‘hits’ – most are in UK/US/Australia and after no.40 it goes into spelling variations of my surname. I then searched more precisely, for a Cork (born, married, lived & died) great grandmother using her name and year of birth, place of birth, place of residence and father’s name – that produced 842 results. The first is a woman of her name & y.o.b. but in New York. The second is a marriage for a woman of her name but the marriage is seven years before her birth. The next two are for Cork marriages when she would have been aged 9 and 13 years respectively and the fathers’ names are incorrect. By no.10 I’ve hit those in Massachusetts and Australia. After that the results are just names with ill-matched dates, taken apparently from CLDS etc., and the records have no images.

In my opinion if you want a cheap (when on special offer) DNA test for use on Gedmatch buying one from MyHeritage is OK, but for Irish genealogical research it has very poor results and has been very disappointing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

OU812 wrote: »

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I think with my heritage the benefits are discoveries from US based data and other people’s trees.
    My fortunate or unfortunate outcome in this case was ancestors back to grace O’Malley and Burke’s tribe . ( half of mayo have links back so nothing special ) but my discoveries are ridiculous ( thousands) . However I did get links to my great grandfathers origin through other people trees .
    So the more information you put in ( accurate or even vaguely approximate ) seems to generate more probabilities.
    I’m doing the dna test but am only hopefull .
    You would need ancestory or Irish ancestor database linked to really make it worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

Happy St Patrick's Day 2021
    Nations small and big celebrate St Patrick's Day, buildings and monuments turn green and people smile a little broader thinking of a small island that has helped to shape a large World. Silver Membership Offer SAVE 40% with code: PatSilver40

Hasn't worked for me yet, anyone else have more success?

Update..... discount code now working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Boscod wrote: »
    Happy St Patrick's Day 2021
    <snip>

Update..... discount code now working.

A tip for the INA is that if they have another offer during the year, say at Christmas, they will allow you add it on to your existing subscription. They are very decent like that, unlike some (much bigger) other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

spurious wrote: »
    A tip for the INA is that if they have another offer during the year, say at Christmas, they will allow you add it on to your existing subscription. They are very decent like that, unlike some (much bigger) other sites.

Wonder if they'll remind us of that at the time. I know I'll forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Ancestry has free access for the weekend.

From Findmypast:-
    Clear your diary for the weekend because we’re making all British census records (1841-1911) completely free to access from 10:00 on Friday 30 April to Monday 3 May.*

*Excludes the 1939 Register. Free access to English, Scottish and Welsh Census Records from 10:00 (BST) on 30 April to 10:00 (BST) on 3 May. Terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Free access to Fold3 this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Fraoch333

That's great thanks Mindhorn 😁

Oh great spot!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Irish News Archives have an offer on at the moment until July 11th - 40% off the Gold Membership (Code: July40) and 35% off the Silver Membership (Code: Silver35).

That's a great deal.

I've got access through my university at the moment so let my sub lapse.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They (INA) also treat existing subscribers well where offers are concerned. Worth supporting even just for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

The above discount codes for Irish Newspaper Archives are now expired.

The code 'Gold40' is however currently active! AFAIK this is only applicable to Annual Gold subscriptions.

I tried to subscribe at the beginning of the month (+/- date of Spurious' post) but the site would not apply the discount (non-gold membership). That has happened before on a previous attempt.. This time I sent them an email but never received a response.

Surprised at that - they're normally very responsive. Have you tried them on any social media?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've sent them a reminder. I don't 'do' social media, I've (reluctantly) got a FB account to access certain sites and family gedmatch groups.

When I was having issues with INA a while back and got no joy from emails I phoned them and got speaking to the boss whose name escapes me just now.

He was very helpful then and has been on one or two occasions since.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Andrew

Genealogy Forum Mod

I found that if you are trying to apply a discount you need to select the box for the applicable subscription first.

So for 'Gold40' you should have selected the years gold subscription and then apply the code.

Self-promotion klaxon

I'm teaching a new online Irish genealogy class starting at the end of August.

Full details & booking here: https://cbgenealogy.ie/irish-genealogy-101/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Family Tree DNA: Summer Sale now on until 31st August.

Y-DNA (Male Only)

• Y-37 - $109 (Was $119)
    • Y-111 - $219 (Was $249)
    • Y700 - $399 (Was $449)

Family Ancestry (Male & Female)

• $59 (Was $79)

MtDNA Maternal Ancestry (Male & Female)

• $139 (Was $159)

Prices are shown in USD, most likely to be the same price in Euro.

• Advertisement

Anyone know of any current or upcoming subscription offers on Ancestry?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement