Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Scrumhalves next season

• 10-03-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Scrumhalf at the provinces next season:

Ulster
    John Cooney(31)
    David Shanahan(28)
    Nathan Doak(19)
    Lewis Finlay(21)
    *incoming academy scrumhalf*

With rumours of Cooney possibly heading to France at the end of his next contract for a big payday, Ulster have fast-tracked Doak out of the academy, hopefully we will see some of Doak over the remaining pro 14 games and rainbow cup. Making an appearance for the irish 20's in June look unlikely. Conor McKee looks likely to be the addition to the academy.

Munster
    Conor Murray(32)
    Craig Casey(22)

Neil Cronin(28)
    Rowan Osborne(24)

A fantastic, contrasting top two duo.. It will be interesting to see how quickly Casey develops to challenge Murray for his starting position for Munster and Ireland. Cronin/Osborne will be a steady hand for when they are away with Ireland. Ethan Coughlan looks likely to be the addition to the academy.

Connacht
    Kieran Marmion(29)
    Caolan Blade(27)
    Colm Reilly(21)

An underrated duo by irish selectors, Blade looks set to continue to challenge Marmion for his position, what can he do to push for irish selection? Reilly looks like another very talented homegrown 9 coming through out west. Matthew Devine looks likely to be the addition to the academy.

Leinster
    Jamison Gibson Park(29)
    Luke McGrath(28)

Nick McCarthy(26)
    Paddy Patterson(22) OR Cormac Foley(21)

McGrath's performances this season while Park has been away with Ireland has cemented his place as Leinster's first choice IMO. It will be interesting to see what happens upon Parks return to Leinster for the european games. McCarthy's return from Munster will be interesting to follow can he push on at his home province? Paddy Patterson is also set to return to Munster after a short successful loan, will he be offered a contract by Leinster as he finishes his time in the academy? Ben Murphy looks the most likely to join the academy next season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭TRC10

Think Ben Murphy will be ahead of Foley at Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

TRC10 wrote: »
    Think Ben Murphy will be ahead of Foley at Leinster

Murphy has to get an academy deal yet.. though i'd be surprised if he didn't given everything.

I wouldn't rate either Foley or Murphy particularly highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Is Hugh O'Sullivan no longer with Leinster?

Is Hugh O'Sullivan no longer with Leinster?

contract ends this season and he is being released along with Osborne as McCarthy is returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is Hugh O'Sullivan out of contract this year? I know he signed his senior deal in 2019 alongside Keenan, Frawley and Kelleher etc so not sure if they were all 2 or 3 year deals

Edit: already been asked as I was typing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster look set with Doak and Finley. I wouldn't begrudge Cooney setting sail to greener pastures either. I notice that Stewart is not listed? I assume he was released?
    Connacht have 2 great options in Blade and Marmion. Kerins is probably gone though. I was surprised he didn't do better, I thought he was great as a u20. I wonder if Marmion will stay? I think he could get a fairly hefty contract in England or France.
    Munster have Casey, a future international mainstay, imo. Murray is older and on the back 9 of his career. They must hope that Coughlan has a big future. I don't think Cronin or Osborne are viewed as anything more than depth.
    Leinster after JGP and Luke have a significant drop in skill. There appears to be no standout youngsters coming up either. I would assume that Murphy will be offered an academy position next season.
    There's a glut of talent at the provinces. At least for the top 2 rated 9's. After that there's a drop off. But I think Leinster are in the worst position as far as developing scrum halves. There hasn't been a very top talented 9 for a while.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Ulster look set with Doak and Finley. I wouldn't begrudge Cooney setting sail to greener pastures either. I notice that Stewart is not listed? I assume he was released?
    Connacht have 2 great options in Blade and Marmion. Kerins is probably gone though. I was surprised he didn't do better, I thought he was great as a u20. I wonder if Marmion will stay? I think he could get a fairly hefty contract in England or France.
    Munster have Casey, a future international mainstay, imo. Murray is older and on the back 9 of his career. They must hope that Coughlan has a big future. I don't think Cronin or Osborne are viewed as anything more than depth.
    Leinster after JGP and Luke have a significant drop in skill. There appears to be no standout youngsters coming up either. I would assume that Murphy will be offered an academy position next season.
    There's a glut of talent at the provinces. At least for the top 2 rated 9's. After that there's a drop off. But I think Leinster are in the worst position as far as developing scrum halves. There hasn't been a very top talented 9 for a while.

Stewart has left Ulster yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Marmion is contracted until 2023, he's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is Stewart playing elsewhere?

Is Stewart playing elsewhere?

Don't believe so, at least professionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

Kerins has suffered from some very ill timed injuries, the development of Reilly and the fact that Marmion and Blade have been available to Connacht all season when they expected 1 to be with Ireland for significant spells (as confirmed by Friend on the latest Craggy Rugby podcast). Feel for him. Hoping his loan to Bristol pays dividends

Advertisement