Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Olympic Games WILL be going ahead

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

titan18 wrote: »
    I don't see how it's possible. Usually there's a turnover of athletes in the Olympic village as some sports end and others begin, but if you need to add in quarantines period before hand like at the Australian Open, you're going to run out of room.

It will be up to governments and people to stop it anyway, the IOC won't give a crap, they just want the money it brings.
    I can't see how it can go ahead since a large number of athletes haven't even qualified for the event.

The IOC really needs this to go ahead more than anyone else. The Olympics has really been damaged by the corruption and demands placed on the host cities by the IOC, and the sports themselves by endemic doping. We have to remember that the next two host cities were chosen because there were no other realistic contenders interested in having it.

The losses faced by the IOC if Tokyo isn't staged could be cataclysmic for them and it couldn't happen to nicer people tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I can't see how it can go ahead since a large number of athletes haven't even qualified for the event.

The IOC really needs this to go ahead more than anyone else. The Olympics has really been damaged by the corruption and demands placed on the host cities by the IOC, and the sports themselves by endemic doping. We have to remember that the next two host cities were chosen because there were no other realistic contenders interested in having it.

The losses faced by the IOC if Tokyo isn't staged could be cataclysmic for them and it couldn't happen to nicer people tbh.

In the future: a different city/country per event or event group might be the way to go.

E.G Separate gymnastics, sailing, rowing, track sprint, track distance, field, cycling, Basket, Volley etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Yes, but if the IOC suffers, so do all the individual federations, and those sports collapse. Do you want this to happen?

demfad wrote: »
    In the future: a different city/country per event or event group might be the way to go.

E.G Separate gymnastics, sailing, rowing, track sprint, track distance, field, cycling, Basket, Volley etc etc.

So essentially a World Championships for each sport?

We already have those!

Nobody is forcing a city to bid for the Olympics by the way. Its shocking decision making to go for it if you can't support it. Rio should never have bid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »

We already have those!

Nobody is forcing a city to bid for the Olympics by the way. Its shocking decision making to go for it if you can't support it. Rio should never have bid for it.

Well the amount of cities wanting it are dropping now. Hence they really only had two options for 2024 and 2028.

The sport side of it is fantastic. Sports don't get that much financial aid out of it also.

Would love to see a breakdown of the funds to sports from the olympics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

when other sports events are happening.

There's nothing comparable to the olympics happening.

15000 volunteers, 15000 paid staff, 20000 contractors, and 10000 athletes coming from all over the globe... and that excludes families and spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I guess most of the athletes will be careful - but lets face it - why collect your best and finest and put them into a goldfish bowl of international germs.

The pity is that for most this is their lifelong goal they have worked and made sacrifices towards to achieve. Its not as thou you can just decide to come back the following year.

If it goes ahead they will attend and compete. And Japan will hardly call it off - too much money riding on it, sadly. Its all about profit.

Re Zika there are aprox 7,000 dirextly tracable Zika babies in Brazil with unknown children with acute lifelong developmental delays caused by it. A further 120+ in the US and a further seven thousand in the US being monitored for profound behavioural and lifelong disabilities including inability to see, feeding, cognition etc. Pretty high price to pay for a mosquito bite & holiday.

Article in New York Times - paywall.

I guess most of the athletes will be careful - but lets face it - why collect your best and finest and put them into a goldfish bowl of international germs.

The pity is that for most this is their lifelong goal they have worked and made sacrifices towards to achieve. Its not as thou you can just decide to come back the following year.

If it goes ahead they will attend and compete. And Japan will hardly call it off - too much money riding on it, sadly. Its all about profit.

Re Zika there are aprox 7,000 dirextly tracable Zika babies in Brazil with unknown children with acute lifelong developmental delays caused by it. A further 120+ in the US and a further seven thousand in the US being monitored for profound behavioural and lifelong disabilities including inability to see, feeding, cognition etc. Pretty high price to pay for a mosquito bite & holiday.

Article in New York Times - paywall.

Zika was a non issue in Rio during their winter though. Humidity levels are low. I honestly didn't see a single mosquito when I was there.

No doubt summer in Rio is a different issue, but the Olympics were not taking place in their summer. It was a complete non story as far as the Olympics were concerned. But the media latched onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes, but if the IOC suffers, so do all the individual federations, and those sports collapse. Do you want this to happen?

Of course I don't want that to happen. Who would want to see the federations collapse and athletes that have put massive efforts and sacrifice in for it to come to naught? I do think the federations need to get real though and actually tackle corruption within their own ranks and force change within the IOC. And that's before we get to doping. Maybe a cancelled games and the resulting clear out could be the catalyst to make that happen.

It really is bonkers that in order to have a well run games, host cities are looking at expenditures in the order of €12bn. Is it any wonder the world is now starting to call the IOC nonsense out.

When you think about the demands placed upon host cities by the IOC, besides massive stadia and infrastructure such as Olympic lanes and 5 star hotels for the blazers, there is little wonder there is pushback against holding it. Host cities take almost all of the risk while the IOC pockets the profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

We already have those!

No. An Olympics with similar format to a world championships.
    The cost to a city of supporting an Olympics is too high. Most cities will underestimate the fact that only a small amount of cities in a small amount of countries can afford this. You have to also look at the ethics of these mega events also. For example, 6500 migrants have already died constructing World Cup venues in Qatar. I haven't researched but I am assuming Beijing, Rio etc have caused live to be lost and/or destroyed. (I am not making claims against Tokyo/Japan BTW)

Interesting as analysis of elite performance is, the entire raison d'etre of the Olympics was to promote health and well being amongst young people.
    Surely spreading it around brings it closer to the people it is supposed to influence?

What we see now is an abomination to make money for billionaires at human cost, posing as something else.

• Advertisement

demfad wrote: »
    No. An Olympics with similar format to a world championships.
    The cost to a city of supporting an Olympics is too high. Most cities will underestimate the fact that only a small amount of cities in a small amount of countries can afford this. You have to also look at the ethics of these mega events also. For example, 6500 migrants have already died constructing World Cup venues in Qatar. I haven't researched but I am assuming Beijing, Rio etc have caused live to be lost and/or destroyed. (I am not making claims against Tokyo/Japan BTW)

Interesting as analysis of elite performance is, the entire raison d'etre of the Olympics was to promote health and well being amongst young people.
    Surely spreading it around brings it closer to the people it is supposed to influence?

What we see now is an abomination to make money for billionaires at human cost, posing as something else.

The logistics of having an Olympics spread over the world would be a disaster. Media and broadcasters wouldn't be able to cover multiple sports. This would drive up costs significantly. The organisation of it would be a total mess too. It would nearly be better just having a series of World Championships run by individual federations in that case.

I don't disagree re the costs of the Olympics. But again, nobody is forcing a city to bid for it. And in most countries that bid for a Games (there are exceptions of course), people aren't being forced to work in construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I guess most of the athletes will be careful - but lets face it.

It is well known and well documented that the athletes do a lot of boning at the Olympics.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8133052/athletes-spill-details-dirty-secrets-olympic-village-espn-magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Announced today that there will be NO over sea's spectators

Kyodo news agency says Japanese government has concluded that welcoming fans from abroad would not be possible; formal decision expected by end of month; Olympics set for July 23 to August 8; opening ceremony to be held behind closed doors; Paralympics run from August 24 to September 5

https://www-skysports-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.skysports.com/amp/olympics/news/15234/12240791/tokyo-2020-japan-to-stage-olympics-without-overseas-spectators-says-kyodo-news-agency?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16153199479130&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skysports.com%2Folympics%2Fnews%2F15234%2F12240791%2Ftokyo-2020-japan-to-stage-olympics-without-overseas-spectators-says-kyodo-news-agency

No foreign spectators. Officially confirmed.

Inevitable really.

Advertisement