Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Expanse

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought there was only 4 seasons of Battlestar Galactica not 10? Or do you mean Stargate?

I think they mean Stargate, cos yeah, there were only 4 seasons of the BSG reboot. Not sure there was enough story for 10 seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

pixelburp wrote: »
    Far thee warned: Firefly is not that similar to Expanse, in the sense that while both follow the underdogs or downtrodden in a galactic civilisation, the tone in Firely was consistently sarcastic and flippant in the manner of Joss Whedon at his best / worst (Delete where applicable)

The crew are very similar especially Cobb and Amos but the shows are pretty different.

BSG is about the only sci-fi outside the Expanse that I have seen in the 21st century that has properly blown me away or has stuck with me beyond a first watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

GreeBo wrote: »
    You might like Stephen Baxter, especially The Long Earth or Manifold Trilogy.

Thank you, on book 7 of the expanse so am looking for something to take up when I finish up book 8. Absolutely love this universe. Perfect mix of near enough future with ancient mystery and interesting characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I do apologise, you are right, there are 4 seasons ( I just dug out the DVDs). There were around 20 episodes per season, so I got a bit confused.

And it is BSG. I haven't watched Stargate that much, a bit to A-team as beauf suggested.

And re books, if you are into naval battles, the Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell is pretty good. It gets a bit samey after a while, but the battle logistics are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I like those books, Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell. Battles are good, does get samey and the non battle stuff is a little simplistic but worth a read. If you like those, Siobhan Dunmoore Series has good ship battles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The crew are very similar especially Cobb and Amos but the shows are pretty different.

BSG is about the only sci-fi outside the Expanse that I have seen in the 21st century that has properly blown me away or has stuck with me beyond a first watch

The fact BSG is nearly 20 years old and still stands out top of class, kinda reflects poorly on the state of spaceborn Sci-Fi in general. It's a nice sub-genre I suppose, but weirdly BSG never really caused an uptick in copycats or attempts to recreate the recipe.

In fact, even with a proposed Sam Esmail BSG apparently coming, I wouldn't be surprised if it stays grounded on Caprica or whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Don't think I ever watched an episode of BSG. Went looking to see where I could stream it but it's only available for purchase on SkyStore

Don't think I ever watched an episode of BSG. Went looking to see where I could stream it but it's only available for purchase on SkyStore

Make the effort. It's supremely worth it and having recently re-watched, hasn't aged a day. Thematically it remains topical and punchy. Even the FX remain solid; some of the Cylons look a bit ropey but otherwise still looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

pixelburp wrote: »
    Even the FX remain solid; some of the Cylons look a bit ropey but otherwise still looks great.
    And some of the cylons look Damn Hot!
    humanoid_cylons.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

beauf wrote: »
    Stargate is fun but its mostly A-Team like.

I get the comparison but it's a lot more than that especially as it developed long story arcs.

• Advertisement

Ramasun wrote: »
    I get the comparison but it's a lot more than that especially as it developed long story arcs.

It's a real pity it dragged on as long as it did. Those seasons with the Farscape cast are awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ramasun wrote: »

Totally. It was a poor comparison on my part. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Willful child by steven erikson is a good book for anyone into reading sci fi (comedy sci fi)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Any books that are similar?

Spinward Fringe is one I like, a lot of books at this stage with a story thats evolved along the way but a core group of characters. More futuristic than the expanse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Anyone got any recommendations for a series similar to the expanse? I particularly like the hard sci fi, near future, first contact, mystery of an old advanced civilization, ship of interesting people.

In book terms, anything by Peter Hamilton. For me, he's consistently excellent, with an incredible scope and world building.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/where-to-start-with-the-space-epics-of-peter-f-hamilton/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In book terms, anything by Peter Hamilton. For me, he's consistently excellent, with an incredible scope and world building.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/where-to-start-with-the-space-epics-of-peter-f-hamilton/

Only thing of his I have read is A Second Chance at Eden and The Night's Dawn trilogy, they were brilliant.

1000%

Alistair Reynolds is also brilliant, epic Spare Opera Reading for any of his 'Revalation Space' universe books

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any books that are similar?
    If you like the political angle, then Ian McDonad's Luna trilogy has a lot of that - different factions and views on Earth, etc. Lots of infighting. It's also all within the solar system and pretty near future. Nothing like the proto-molecule idea or dead civilizations.

Alastair Reynolds is probably among the better for the "dead civilisations". If you're looking for large alien artifacts, search for the "big dumb object" trope. A classic example, for me, would be Greg Ear's "Way" series where they have to investigate a mysterious asteroid that appears around earth.

I don't really think Peter F. Hamilton's books are much like 'The Expanse' - they're galaxy spanning, much further in the future, etc. They're damn good fun though and should be read regardless. Personally, I'd say go for the Commonwealth series first, starting with "Pandora's Star". It's got a fantastic alien protagonist and the series wraps up a lot better than the Night's Dawn series did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm thinking of reading some of these but the number of books is disconcerting. Is it one long story that never ends, a la Game of Thrones? Or separate stories in the same universe, a la Banks' Culture novels?

I'm thinking of reading some of these but the number of books is disconcerting. Is it one long story that never ends, a la Game of Thrones? Or separate stories in the same universe, a la Banks' Culture novels?

Its about the same crew but the timeline is broken up into blocks of about 3 books per story arc. All are about the same crew but each but throws in a few 1 off POV characters. You get answers to stories along the way so you wont be waiting till book 7 to get the answers to all the questions from book 1.

Dont worry once you start your biggest complaint will be that there are not enough books in the series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its about the same crew but the timeline is broken up into blocks of about 3 books per story arc. All are about the same crew but each but throws in a few 1 off POV characters. You get answers to stories along the way so you wont be waiting till book 7 to get the answers to all the questions from book 1.

Dont worry once you start your biggest complaint will be that there are not enough books in the series

Consider me reassured. Flowers for Algernon next, then the Expanse for me.

Anyone manage to get there hands on the final book?

I had it on preorder for release today and my book shop is "sold out" and nowhere else in Limerick seems to have it. I'm wondering is it in Ireland at all yet

I'm about halfway through it on Kindle, tbh it kind of drags a bit compared to the others.

Im finding I dont really care about the characters but loving the rare times they get stuck into the alien stuff

Advertisement