Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One that got away

• 08-03-2021 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Now and then I'm reminded of a classic that was for sale at one stage, and that I probably should have purchased, or at least had a close look at it. But for one reason or another, I didn't. Lack of garage space usually features. The one that particularly comes to mind is a 928 S4 for sale in Kilkenny for around €14,000 maybe a year or two ago. It was a smokey colour if I recall, with black and white checkered seats. Boy do I regret not going to see that, given the way 928 prices have shot up.
    Is it something that bothers all classic car enthusiasts? What haunts you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

outfox wrote: »
    Now and then I'm reminded of a classic that was for sale at one stage, and that I probably should have purchased, or at least had a close look at it. But for one reason or another, I didn't. Lack of garage space usually features. The one that particularly comes to mind is a 928 S4 for sale in Kilkenny for around €14,000 maybe a year or two ago. It was a smokey colour if I recall, with black and white checkered seats. Boy do I regret not going to see that, given the way 928 prices have shot up.

About 8 years ago a yellow Fiat 850 appeared on DD in Wicklow for about €1000, two weeks later it appeared again for about €5000 but in a different part of the country.......kicked myself as I assumed it was a dog at the original money. If memory serves me it had minilites or cromodora alloys and all.
    There have been numerous 500's down through the searches but that yellow 850 had me distraught for a long time, never surfaced again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

About 5 years ago a beautiful VW Notchback came up for sale at 6500 euros.
    Contacted the seller and exchanged a alot of info. Aussie car so would probably be rust free.
    Pondered on it too long, and when I contacted to arrange a view, it was gone.
    Looking out for it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

outfox wrote: »

Don't mention the war :o:(

I sold my 928 S2 for €2950 at the depth of the recession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Almost a classic, I guess.
    Bought a '99 Evolution VI in 2009 for €16,000 and sold it a year later for €6,500.

In hindsight, I probably should have been a bit more sensible in 2009, but things hadn't gotten bad yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I remember about 20 years ago I was offered a Clubman 1275 GT for nothing by a friend of my then girlfriend (now wife). It had been his dad's car and was in a garage for about 3 or 4 years as he could no longer drive it. The car ran and drove and was in very good condition but I had nowhere to put it as I was living at home with my parents so I gave it a miss. Roll on 4 years and I had got married and bought a house with a garage so we called my wife's friend to ask about the car... They had scrapped it the week before as they thought it was worthless!

I'm still kicking myself over that one.

• Advertisement

This thread has also painfully reminded me of another, snooze and lose car.

Abought 10 years ago I visited my aunts house to chase up my uncles 54 VW Beetle he had years ago.
    I was told it was down the bottom of the garden still, and had not moved for years.
    So armed with slash hooks, strimmers and chainsaws, my brother and my self ventured where no on had gone before.

Amidst all the scrub and trees, lay the beetle. Quick look confirmed that it was worth the effort, so we locked and loaded
    the saws. About 4 hours later, there she sat. An original, unmolested 54 beetle. It needed a major resto, but was complete
    except for an engine.

Delighted we headed home, well pleased with our days toil. Two months passed before we were ready for collection.

Quick phonecall to my aunt to let her know we would be down to collect the beetle.

Our hearts sank when she told us it was given to a local scrappie who was passing:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

I've a friend who offered me a beautiful 1982 911 for €20k 9 years ago,

i was only new in my business and not yet turned 30 i juts thought it would be too flash but i do regret not buying it of course.
    he still has it and maybe some day i'll buy it off him

he also takes great enjoyment in telling me what it's now worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Great idea for a thread. Cars I've owned and in hindsight sold for little or nothing in real terms that would now be classics!! 1990 Citroen XM and a 1981 Alfasud 15ti Cloverleaf, regrets!!! But the biggest one was not buying a Lancia Fulvia when offered it after selling the Sud. I'd say everyone has stories like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

One of these. I went to view one in Tipperary in 2018 and was blown away. What an engine. Couldnt disable the passenger airbag to take a rear facing child seat is what killed off the purchase. Still haunts me to this day as they are almost never for sale in manual in Ireland.

10372412.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BluePagoda

In 2008 I could have bought an original Irish reg 1970 280sl Pagoda for €18,500. T'was very tatty but driving. It even had a towbar!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

My friend and I would be interested in japanese imports. For a few years after coming out of college he would often offer me something he was thinking of moving on. He always seemed to poke out some great cars for reasonable money. Give them a service or nct and move them on after a few months. Altezza for 3k, s14 with great spec for 6, r32 skyline for 6.5 and a toyota chaser for 11k. All great examples but ever had the money at the time to buy and prices for this stuff has gone crazy. Also went to look at a trueno ae86 with a supercharged engine but didnt have the balls to take on the restoration. I'm still pretty sore over that one given ae86 prices these days.

I also remember a few e36 m3's for around 3-4k.

One that I had and left get away was a lovely mk2 gti I had bought. Wasn't even old enough to get a license at the time. Was a helios blue gti with some very minor work to get it back on the road. Recession hit, summer work dried up and I had to sell it on. I bought that car for 700 quid at the time. Another 1000 would have seen it back on the road :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bluesteely

I was at a car show in England in 2010 with my Dad and an Aston Martin DBS was parked outside the gates with "For Sale, £5,000" on the windscreen. Did we follow up? We did not. They are worth a lot more now. A lot.

More recently, there was a Porsche 914 that popped up on the classic section of Done Deal (probably before Christmas?) for very little money, I'm guessing it was snapped up instantly because when I went to phone the ad was whipped..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

A Fiat 127 Sport for £250. I left it because the windscreen pillars were rusty. The real kicker is that it was the now very rare silver colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Sometimes the one that got away was a bullet dodged!

Remember the girl you fancied in school all those years ago and you met her years later and she wasnt quite as you remembered her!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    Don't mention the war :o:(

I sold my 928 S2 for €2950 at the depth of the recession

I'll see your 928 @ 2950 and drop you a 968 Tip for 2700..... :(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

w124man wrote: »
    Sometimes the one that got away was a bullet dodged!

Remember the girl you fancied in school all those years ago and you met her years later and she wasnt quite as you remembered her!

Or is it the one that never drew much attention in school and turned into an absolute bombshell a few years later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

An Alfa Romeo GTV6 - back in 2004; I took too long to 'think it over'. It sold.

Not going to make the same mistake twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Back in 2003, I was about 23 I think. I spotted an advert in the old 'Buy & Sell' for a 1979 one owner '79 Mercedes W123.
    Made the call and got chatting to a nice old farmer in Roscommon.
    Myself and a mate made the trip. Arrived at a little old cottage with a farmyard beside it. The old farmer came out and brought us to his hay shed where the car was parked.
    He went on to explain that his brother was an engineer for one of the big oil companies back in the 70's, he was based in the middle east but bought this to have in Ireland when he was home. It lived all its life in a shed in Roscommon :pac:

Anyway, it was the worst W123 possible, white, manual 4 speed box and a 2.0 diesel engine, but it was immaculate and had only about 40k miles on it!
    We took it for a drive and I have never drove (floated) in anything like it before or since. Thinking back it was grim in the manual/diesel combo but I regret to this day not buying it for the craic!

He was looking €5k so it wasn't cheap and it probably wouldn't have gone up much in value, but it was certainly different!

Peter T wrote: »
    Or is it the one that never drew much attention in school and turned into an absolute bombshell a few years later :pac:

Well yes, there is that too! Then you have to work out if you can afford her ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

so many cars I went to see, or spent hours researching and then didnt buy and regret. Porsche 964, TVR Tuscan are 2 that really stick out. Honestly I could spend the rest of my days posting about them all.
    Not unlike the girlfriend analogy though, there's 1 or 2 I did go for that I regret more !

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    so many cars I went to see, or spent hours researching and then didnt buy

The researching and the working up to go see and buy it is half the fun!

We'll never know but I say you would have regretted buying that Trevor a lot more than you now regret not buying it :pac:

RobAMerc wrote: »
    so many cars I went to see, or spent hours researching and then didnt buy and regret. Porsche 964, TVR Tuscan are 2 that really stick out. Honestly I could spend the rest of my days posting about them all.
    Not unlike the girlfriend analogy though, there's 1 or 2 I did go for that I regret more !

Thats nothing. There's one or two I went for, and THEY regretted it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Not a classic at the time (but getting there), but back in around '95/'96 I was after a Mk2 Golf GTi, had looked at a few. I had two lined up to look at in dealers one Sat morning, looked at the first, it was great, seemed the one for me, but thought I may as well look at the second one, would be back to buy in 2 hours if not better than the first. It wasn't so headed back to the first dealer, trying to find a working phone box on the way (before my first mobile). Found one, he sold it 10 min before! Got a Sierra Cosworth in the end. That put several mechanic's kids through college!

More recently a W123 230E in Thistle Green, decided to pass on it due to rust (I posted pics here) but regretted it later, really fell in love with the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Around 2008 I was looking at buying a 1987 328 GTS. For sale by a former colleague in Switzerland. Actually had every single receipt that was ever attached to it. Fully serviced, about 50,000 km on it. In genuinely perfect condition, two owners, almost never driven in rain, always, always garaged except for holidays, the leather and paint were perfect.

Originally on German plates so not EU VAT needed. Problem was I couldn't get a VRT quote, so I left it as if VRT was in excess of €10K I would be in trouble. Car was sold to a friend of the then owner, he sold it 2 years ago for €90,000. I try to convince myself that I'm not that bothered as I wouldn't have held onto it for that length of time.

Tried to convince a colleague in Germany to buy a high mileage Porsche 959 for €165,000 in 2012 or so. Anyone familiar with Trier would know it, it's a red Komfort model, was often parked on the street near St Paul's. He had just sold a company for around €800,000. Kids were out of college and no mortgage. He turned it down and got a 964 turbo instead. 959 is now worth near €1,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There was a SWB Mercedes 600 (W100) for sale here for €70,000 (?) for a long time, ended out in the UK I think, just after that prices exploded. Think it was 2013/14. Reg was 200 XXX I think.

There was also a blue Testarossa in Offaly for €70,000. 89-OY-2222. Couldn't sell here with a full NCT during the recession, ended out in the UK AFAIK. Very low price even then for a car like that.

KevRossi wrote: »
    There was a SWB Mercedes 600 (W100) for sale here for €70,000 (?) for a long time, ended out in the UK I think, just after that prices exploded. Think it was 2013/14. Reg was 200 XXX I think.

oLhTOzE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Went down to buy a Miami Blue Peugeot 205 Gti about 20 yrs ago. Car was in mint condition but had a slight misfire that the owner had failed to diagnose. Made a decent offer but he wouldn’t accept so went home. Later that night I rang him back to tell him I’d give him asking.. car was sold. Seen it converted into a rally car a few months later :( it was genuinely the best one I’ve ever seen.

There was a few others through the years but that’s probably the “One that got away”

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'll see your 928 @ 2950 and drop you a 968 Tip for 2700..... :(

Sold my 1989 635 CSI for €1750 and a few years later, my 928 S4 for €4000.
    Recession prices, mixed with a bit of frustration with road tax I suppose.
    Still have the Stag though😀

Hifive wrote: »
    Sold my 1989 635 CSI for €1750 and a few years later, my 928 S4 for €4000.
    Recession prices, mixed with a bit of frustration with road tax I suppose.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I wasn't desperate for the money at the time, but the car was deteriorating in front of my eyes (no garage) and I could not afford the motor tax which is over €500 per quarter for just a handful of trips :rolleyes:

Silver lining was that I really needed a second car on the road occasionally and selling the off the road Porsche allowed me to buy a cheap and cheerful MGF convertible (bought in very decent condition, nothing needed, with tax & test for €550)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Went to England to buy a Saab 900 Turbo I saw on carandclassic. I had just sold a Mitsubishi FTO for relatively big money and wanted a more insurable weekender for around the same money.
    The advert was astounding, every bit of work ever done on the car was listed on the ad. Two owner car, owned by the sellers father who was a Saab mechanic etc etc.
    Met the guy, went over the car, fell in love with it. Drove it, then there was a slight hesitation on acceleration. Seller was embarrassed and a bit concerned, probably more than I was.
    He basically said be wasn’t going to sell a broken car, and would get it into his garage on the Monday.
    I did a few bits in the uk over the weekend with friends and flew home the Sunday for work Monday.

Then on the Monday afternoon, a bizzare thing happened, another FTO which I had seen go through the auctions in Japan a few months previous came up on donedeal or whatever site was the thing back then. It was only up the road, the guy that bought it couldn’t get insurance on it and was cutting his losses. He had already paid the VRT and all. Anyway I bought it, and later in the week the other guy rang to say the Saab was fixed.

I often wondered if I would have actually kept the Saab long term, if I would have minded it enough, if it would have gotten nicked. I’d love to have it now, but I reckon I’d never find another one as nice unless it was megabucks.

url]

The first sad twist in the tale is it got stolen from the guy who bought it within a few days, it was recovered but with a lot of damage, looking at the MOT history it doesn’t seem to have survived.

The second is that I kept on to the FTO for a few years, it was the most sorted one I’d ever come across - but in the first recession, I couldn’t justify keeping it. I sold it to a guy I knew could take care of it. It got stolen from him within a few days too and written off.
    Again, I’d love to have it now.

Advertisement