Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pulled up mid-run this morning...

• 09-03-2021 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Not sure whether this post is within forum guidelines or not....

Been running in this exercise cycle 18 months now. Took days off and rest periods but never had to stop mid-run before.

Lower calf strain just above right ankle. Better be safe than sorry.

Possibly overdid the static stretching pre-run. Possibly.

Bought a pair of Cirvit running insoles from lidl on Friday. Ran Sat/Sun no problem.

Personally I believe they are the culprit though. I was limping back home from my run. Stopped. Took out my insole.

Went back to walking fine. With only mild discomfort.

Personally I believe the human foot just wasn't built to be cushioned when running. Leads to issues.

My local running shop sells different brand insoles though.

I'd be interested to get your opinion on running insoles? Yay or nay? Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why did you buy insoles?

So many different types of shoes you really shouldn't need them unless a phsyio etc has told you that you need them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Not sure whether this post is within forum guidelines or not....

Been running in this exercise cycle 18 months now. Took days off and rest periods but never had to stop mid-run before.

Lower calf strain just above right ankle. Better be safe than sorry.

Bought a pair of Cirvit running insoles from lidl on Friday. Ran Sat/Sun no problem.

Personally I believe they are the culprit though. I was limping back home from my run. Stopped. Took out my insole.

Went back to walking fine. With only mild discomfort.

Personally I believe the human foot just wasn't built to be cushioned when running. Leads to issues.

My local running shop sells different brand insoles though.

I'd be interested to get your opinion on running insoles? Yay or nay? Why?

How old are the runs? Is the support at the back of the heal strong?

Why the insoles?

RICE it now and see what it is like at the weekend, if still not right, go to the physio

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

How old are the runs? Is the support at the back of the heal strong?

Why the insoles?

RICE it now and see what it is like at the weekend, if still not right, go to the physio

3-4 months old asics. Still got good grip on soles. Never had an issue before.

I might cycle today and possibly run tomorrow sans insoles.

Bought them on a whim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

it's the insoles for sure, it's like putting in orthotics and running in them before your body gets used to the new mechanics,
    take them out unless you need them

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

You're probably right. But we weren't designed to run on concrete or tarmac either I'm guessing.

Sounds like the insoles anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

A pair of insoles that cost €4 are certainly the issue I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

A little bit late on this one but you should try avoid static stretching before exercise, some gentle dynamic structing before and static after the run.

A foam roller might help too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Jnealon wrote: »
    A little bit late on this one but you should try avoid static stretching before exercise, some gentle dynamic structing before and static after the run.

A foam roller might help too

This is really good advice
    I used to do martial arts and did the same stretches that I'd always done before training for high kicks and stuff before running or playing football until a guy who's a physio that played with us pulled me up on it. Definitely notice I don't get as many twinges

Hopefully you get sorted OP, good luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ed...... wrote: »
    But we weren't designed to run on concrete or tarmac either I'm guessing.

We weren't designed for it, but despite that since the moment you could walk it's what you've been training your body to do. A young kid will happily run along barefoot on various surfaces because it's what their body was designed for, an adult would struggle though because despite the design still being for running barefoot, the lifetime of training isn't.

Advertisement