Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N13/N56 - Letterkenny Relief Road/DC upgrade [preferred route published; at design]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I must say I was really surprised when I looked at the maps for this project.
    It looks like Lurgybrack hill is being replaced with a new 2+2 which will start I assume at the new roundabout you mentioned in your OP.
    I'd always assumed this project was to start at the dry arch roundabout and go over the Swilly.
    It also looks like it will go straight through tinneys oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes that's correct. I questioned the engineers at a private meeting two weeks ago on the need for a complete new road and they said that the gradient on lurgybrack was too steep (which it is) and although I only ever remember one truck losing its brakes and crashing at the bottom, there is evidence of cars going over the roundabout at weekends on a regular basis.

If you look closely at the map, it also looks like that all traffic for tinneys/DHL/LK bikes etc and all other businesses in Bonagee including the NCT centre/One Stop etc will all have to travel up as far as Trimeragh to get access to those places which is utterly ridiculous and will end up destroying businesses so I can see changes being made giving those places access closer to the town or off the new road proposed from the dry arch roundabout to the new bridge over the swilly.

If you look closely at the map, it also looks like that all traffic for tinneys/DHL/LK bikes etc and all other businesses in Bonagee including the NCT centre/One Stop etc will all have to travel up as far as Trimeragh to get access to those places which is utterly ridiculous and will end up destroying businesses so I can see changes being made giving those places access closer to the town or off the new road proposed from the dry arch roundabout to the new bridge over the swilly.

It looks that way alright, there's no way that will be allowed go ahead. A sliproad from the section behind martins old shop down onto the new access road (which looks like an underpass) would be the best option.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yesterday was a perfect example of why the new bridge in Letterkenny is needed, one traffic incident near the Polestar roundabout and every road and street in the town grinds to a halt. Took me half an hour to do a journey that usually takes 5-7 minutes and I never went anywhere near the accident

• Advertisement

Render of the new bridge, not sure where it came from but seems a bit stupid to have such a big span only to stick a pier in the river

1556465023074.jpg--call_for_letterkenny__prioritising__of_new_letterkenny_bridge.jpg

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/home/378539/call-for-letterkenny-prioritising-of-new-letterkenny-bridge.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nice bridge, but it'll be fought hammer, tooth and nail by the locals I reckon as its basically a viaduct over a golf course.

Whats its length by the way?

Nice bridge, but it'll be fought hammer, tooth and nail by the locals I reckon as its basically a viaduct over a golf course.

Whats its length by the way?

No it won’t. Locals want a new bridge and road to bypass the town, no one is against that aspect of the project.

The render above is a photoshop, it’s nothing like what will eventually be built which will be a standard bridge spanning the river. The road approaching the river on both sides will be raised as it’ll be built on a flood plain but it won’t be on a raised viaduct style bridge like in the picture.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The proposed route also goes nowhere near the Golf Club

There isn't much scope for many routes so I'd imagine the current route will be progressed with whatever CPO necessary.

That's actually an old Pitch and Putt course, which is now only used for dirtbike racing. The Golf Club is a few kilometres up the river from here.

• Advertisement

Didn't know the pitch & putt was closed, haven't been in years but used to be a good way to pass a Saturday afternoon, shame.

Most locals are definitely in favour and the route only passes through industrial land and inaccessible flood plains so I can't see there being any real opposition

Not related but I see there's a new road being built between Port Road and Neil Blaney Road at the moment, guessing just to unlock more development land

Didn't know the pitch & putt was closed, haven't been in years but used to be a good way to pass a Saturday afternoon, shame.

Most locals are definitely in favour and the route only passes through industrial land and inaccessible flood plains so I can't see there being any real opposition

Not related but I see there's a new road being built between Port Road and Neil Blaney Road at the moment, guessing just to unlock more development land

Yeah it’ll open up that area of land to it’s left and right but I can see it being used as a short cut for people trying to beat traffic to the IT in the mornings.

Going to be a fun summer
    The main approach road into Letterkenny is said to be gridlocked this morning as planned works get underway.

The four lane road between the Dry Arch and Polestar roundabouts has been reduced to only one lane as works by Irish Water are due to commence, resulting in traffic chaos.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2019/05/07/traffic-chaos-reported-in-letterkenny-as-irish-water-works-begin/

Works are due to start on Pearse Road next week as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Give up and cycle.

Preferred route to be published in January.

Preferred route published. 2km of new N13 Type 2 dual carriageway from Lurgybrack Hill to the N13 dual carriageway, 4km of which is to be upgraded to standardised Type 1 dual carriageway with a grade seperated junction. 2.5km of Type 2 dual carriageway will link the N13 to the N56 including a new crossing of the River Swilly

attachment.php?attachmentid=499955&stc=1&d=1578939750

Route selection report and detailed drawings here: http://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/pages/documentsbrdownloads/options-selection-report.php

This is Section 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

How much is the current lockdown delaying this project? Also assuming a worldwide recession must put this project in further jeopardy

Snotty wrote: »
    How much is the current lockdown delaying this project? Also assuming a worldwide recession must put this project in further jeopardy

Lockdown delayed ground investigations by 6-8 weeks but they have presumably resumed now.

Worldwide recession isn't much of an issue as the scheme is years away from starting either way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Got the N56 tender from SIAC out to us last week so assume it’s been awarded to them and they’re intent on starting it in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

marno21 wrote: »

Worldwide recession isn't much of an issue as the scheme is years away from starting either way.

From the sounds of it the project has very much started, my wonder is how will the recession effect the project timelines, I believe pre covid 19, land purchases was meant to have started or be starting very soon.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307462.htm

Pre-application consultation has been filed with An Bord Pleanala.

Donegal County Council plan to sent this to ABP in March/April 2021.

https://www.highlandradio.com/2020/10/19/ten-t-project-progressing-well-despite-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

What's the overall purpose of all this work?
    What's the intended benefit to the area?

Rodin wrote: »
    What's the overall purpose of all this work?
    What's the intended benefit to the area?
    Bypassing Letterkenny on the N56
    Upgrading the dual carriageway between Letterkenny to Manorcunningham to address safety issues
    Bypassing a section of N13 at Lurgybrack Hill which has a severe gradient and poses safety risks to heavy vehicles

Bypassing Letterkenny on the N56
    Upgrading the dual carriageway between Letterkenny to Manorcunningham to address safety issues
    Bypassing a section of N13 at Lurgybrack Hill which has a severe gradient and poses safety risks to heavy vehicles

That's the hill heading down to the Dry Arch?
    What are the safety issues on the dual to Manor? If anything the major safety issues are on the road from Manor to Bridgend. Just my amateur observation.

Rodin wrote: »
    That's the hill heading down to the Dry Arch?
    What are the safety issues on the dual to Manor? If anything the major safety issues are on the road from Manor to Bridgend. Just my amateur observation.

That is indeed the hill down to the Dry Arch.

The safety issues: junctions/accesses and the median gap junction in the middle are the main ones. It’s one of the few remaining dual carriageways in Ireland not built to modern standards.

The reason this is prioritised over Manor-Bridgend is the higher traffic along here and the smaller size.

• Advertisement

That is indeed the hill down to the Dry Arch.

The safety issues: junctions/accesses and the median gap junction in the middle are the main ones. It’s one of the few remaining dual carriageways in Ireland not built to modern standards.

The reason this is prioritised over Manor-Bridgend is the higher traffic along here and the smaller size.

Cheers

Advertisement