Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Streaming services

• 07-03-2021 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

On the back of my other questions, what is the best streaming services you can get in Ireland now?
    What even are there?
    At the moment I have
    Netflix
    Disney
    Now
    Prime

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've Disney, Amazon and NowTV, I got rid of Netflix. With Stars adding to Disney it's probably the best in my opinion, especially if you've had Netflix for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Clareman wrote: »
    I've Disney, Amazon and NowTV, I got rid of Netflix. With Stars adding to Disney it's probably the best in my opinion, especially if you've had Netflix for a while.

Is that starz? Or a different thing.

God, I remember back when Netflix had shows I wanted to watch, and was 9.99 a month. I'm. On 17.99 now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

God, I remember back when Netflix had shows I wanted to watch, and was 9.99 a month. I'm. On 17.99 now

There is a thread where you can get 4k version of netflix for less than 5 euros a month from Turkey

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There is a thread where you can get 4k version of netflix for less than 5 euros a month from Turkey

Would it have the sane stuff as here?

Would it have the sane stuff as here?

Yes. You will get exactly the same Ireland netflix. I've been paying mexican netflix but Turkey is cheaper again. I'll be moving in the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is that starz? Or a different thing.

Star on Disney and Starz are two different streaming services.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Butson

There is a serious amount of crap on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does it involve technical stuff - vpn ?

Butson wrote: »
    There is a serious amount of crap on Netflix

Serious amount of crap on all of them really. Only a few good things on each one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry, was on my phone earlier. Star is on Disney.

@fryup, it involves a VPN and an international payment option like Revolut, nothing major.

• Advertisement

I meant to add earlier, a lot of the terrestrial stations have decent online offerings as well, RTÉ gets a bad rap but there's a lot on there, as does Virgin and TG4.

I used to have the full suite of services and have started to cut back, we very rarely used Netflix so that was easy to cut. I get Amazon because I'm a student and it comes with Prime so it's a no-brainer. I got Disney on launch last year with the addition of Stars and decent shows coming online I'll renew for another year, it's a decent price point. I've NowTV Kids for the children, I got a cancellation deal so it's €4.20 a month, I'll sign up for a Sports pass every once in a while if there's a good weekend of sport coming up. I just remembered I've access to Eir Sports as well, I've never used it so can't comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I
    Mexico is also ok

I Mexico is also ok

I'm on Mexico and it is cheaper than Ireland but Turkey is cheaper again. I'll be moving soon

All4 is great and it's free

It is add supported however I'm ok with that.

RTE player has some great stuff just a pity the player itself isn't the greatest.

Shudder is good if you enjoy horror etc.

Mubi is good if you enjoy arthouse and classic films.

Volta is an Irish based streaming service that has Irish and International films on it this more rent and buy though.

The one great thing about streaming services is you are only tied to month long contracts and can bounce between them a month at a time when you want to watch something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭brevity

Shudder is good if you enjoy horror etc.

I asked this on another thread but this thread might be more active, are you able to get Shudder on Amazon Fire TV? It seems to be region blocked for me, I cannot install it via Amazon and it doesn’t appear in the search on the fire tv.

brevity wrote: »
    I asked this on another thread but this thread might be more active, are you able to get Shudder on Amazon Fire TV? It seems to be region blocked for me, I cannot install it via Amazon and it doesn’t appear in the search on the fire tv.

I don't have a Fire sorry so can't help you on that one.

Have you tried contacting Amazon or Shudder supports just to ask what the issue might be?

I don't have a Fire sorry so can't help you on that one.

Have you tried contacting Amazon or Shudder supports just to ask what the issue might be?

Yea that was my next port of call. Cheers!

is Discovery + available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

fryup wrote: »
    is Discovery + available in Ireland?

Yes, Sky are currently offering a years free subscription

so its only available through sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Do you mean you can't add it as an Prime Video channel via a Web Browser or App? If so I'd imagine it's region blocked. I'm in the UK so can't check.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Do you mean you can't add it as an Prime Video channel via a Web Browser or App? If so I'd imagine it's region blocked. I'm in the UK so can't check.

Both!

It’s very annoying. I am able to sign up and give my credit card and watch it on my phone/iPad but even though I have amazon prime and a fire tv I cannot watch it on the television.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

fryup wrote: »
    so its only available through sky?

It’d take you less time to google this but no, it’s available to all and it’s €6 a month

I tried Starzplay on my Tv last night, I have a Samsung series 7
    It wont find the app for me!

I put starzplay on my phone, thinking I could use the screen projector function, but for some reason, it won't play the video, will show everything else but just not the video.

I couldn't find starzplay on Amazon prime as I want to watch the Stand and Mr. Mercedes. There was a few other shows also I wanted to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I'm really liking Discovery + at the moment, some great content there.

Netflix still in a league of its own though imo, in terms of content, usability and app performance.

Now tv and prime have good content also but let down by brutal apps and poor usability. Disney is a good one for the kids.

Dodge wrote: »
    It’d take you less time to google this but no, it’s available to all and it’s €6 a month

but why bother, when the likes of you do it for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Shows up on a search on firestick for me. My store is set to UK though. You can change this easily if not.

Can you install BBC iplayer or ITV hub?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Shows up on a search on firestick for me. My store is set to UK though. You can change this easily if not.

Can you install BBC iplayer or ITV hub?

Nope. I think this is the problem. Will try to change my store on the fire stick

Cheers!

Advertisement