Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People on the internet talking about their huge salaries

• 08-03-2021 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the Askaboutmoney Money Makeover forum, basically a place to ask for a financial review in an Irish context. The template asks that you include your salary/income in requests for review. It is striking how high many of them are. Salaries of 100-200k are common. There are also recent threads mentioning a salary of 375k and another recent one mentions 400k (although that might be for a couple)

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/what-to-do-with-additional-150k-p-a.222703/

Do very well paid people tend to have difficulty with managing their finances and need to ask for free advice from strangers on the internet?

AAM is a fairly sterile forum compared to boards, surely people wouldn't make up elaborate bullsh*t stories on such a site? On boards things are different, it is more of a community so there is more scope for gaining "kudos" by boasting about a salary and also more potential for successful trolling.

I'm an unpaid carer now and my "career" has basically been a failure, I will never earn 100k p.a. or close to it in my life. Were it not for my frugality and the hard saving that I did when I was working plus the money I inherited, I would be financially f*cked and likely in a deep depression now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Do very well paid people tend to have difficulty with managing their finances and need to ask for free advice from strangers on the internet?

As Biggie once said, "Mo money mo problems".

If i earned that money yr ****ing right id be logging in telling anyone whod listen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If i earned that money yr ****ing right id be logging in telling anyone whod listen

How gauche.

Your health is your wealth these days.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

How gauche.

Your health is your wealth these days.

Yes but unfortunately health in this country is affected by wealth. Better food, education, access to faster private care, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've something else that's huge if that's ok to brag about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I would know of some people on very high salaries and you'd be suprised about the amount of complaints they have for things that people on much lower salaries would also have. I guess it comes from maintaining a certain lifestyle that makes the benefits of a high salary somewhat mitigated. I never fully believe when people reveal anything somewhat boastfull on the internet (i.e. high salary) as its so easy to lie to make it sound better but the forum highlighted i think seems more genuine as its fairly in depth regarding assets and liabilities, income and expenses etc. and the guy admits he works for an FB/Google type of company and they do indeed provide high salaries for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There's many a spoofer walking the streets.
    There's even more online. So pinch of salt op.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I was looking at the Askaboutmoney Money Makeover forum, basically a place to ask for a financial review in an Irish context. The template asks that you include your salary/income in requests for review. It is striking how high many of them are. Salaries of 100-200k are common. There are also recent threads mentioning a salary of 375k and another recent one mentions 400k (although that might be for a couple)

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/what-to-do-with-additional-150k-p-a.222703/

AAM is a fairly sterile forum compared to boards, surely people wouldn't make up elaborate bullsh*t stories on such a site? On boards things are different, it is more of a community so there is more scope for gaining "kudos" by boasting about a salary and also more potential for successful trolling.

I'm an unpaid carer now and my "career" has basically been a failure, I will never earn 100k p.a. or close to it in my life. Were it not for my frugality and the hard saving that I did when I was working plus the money I inherited, I would be financially f*cked and likely in a deep depression now.

Thinly veiled "i dont earn as much as you but i'm far superior at money management" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd like to hear from Mr. Angus von Bismarck on this.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

I would say yes, the case is with most people that the more you earn the more you give yourself to spend and improve your lifestyle so someone on 200k+ probably has the mortgage or the rent to match that pay, nice new car too.

Speaking from myself I went from standard enough 25k/30k to around 70k and for the first year or so in the job wasn't saving anything extra at all was buying all the things I wanted going on holidays etc before I coped on a bit and reigned it in and now I save quite a bit per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

COPE
    O
    P
    E

You tell yourself rich people are miserable too, don't you?

If being rich will make me miserable I’ll be the happiest miserable person going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Strumms wrote: »
    If being rich will make me miserable I’ll be the happiest miserable person going.

Rich people aren't happy. From the day they're born til the day they die, they think they're happy but, trust me, they ain't.

The tide is turning…

I don’t think this thread is the appropriate place to talk about your mortgage. ;)

Rich people aren't happy. From the day they're born til the day they die, they think they're happy but, trust me, they ain't.

If you had 5 million in the bank, a nice house, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, a couple of high end cars, no requirement to work... I could see maybe boredom setting in every now and then... but it wouldn’t be regularl...but we spend a good portion of our time at work... ok engaged with our work, as we must be but we are also either bored or under so much pressure where we don’t have time to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Please note the following:
    • that 375k case recently on AAM includes shares as payments, and that amount is not a typical case in the Money Makeoever
    • Yes, there are plenty of cases doing well, e.g. 80k - 100k - 120k
    • Note that there is a selection bias here, and many on AAM are aware of it

I would know of some people on very high salaries and you'd be suprised about the amount of complaints they have for things that people on much lower salaries would also have. I guess it comes from maintaining a certain lifestyle that makes the benefits of a high salary somewhat mitigated.

Yes, a couple I know are on 170k combined gross approx.

They often complain about costs, etc.

AAM is a fairly sterile forum compared to boards, surely people wouldn't make up elaborate bullsh*t stories on such a site?

I don't think any case on AAM is made up.

One high earner on AAM was a doctor, and didn't know much about PS pensions.

That is totally believable, as PS pensions are complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I don't think anyone on AAM is making their salaries and net worth up. If they are seeking advice on how to manage or grow their wealth, it would be rather pointless providing false information only to receive tailored advice that would be completely irrelevant to them so why would they bother posting it in the first place?

I do be a bit perplexed sometimes when you read people posting in AAM who are on mega bucks six figure salaries, their partners similar, gold plated defined pensions, mortgage free, investment property cash cow and savings and investments up to 500K....yet they still seek advice...on how they need a makeover to generate MORE income...how much more does one possibly need to maintain a comfortable lifestyle?

In relation to the money = happiness theory, I read before that €75,000 a year is the optimum amount you need to aspire to for financial security based happiness (i.e. never having to worry about paying bills to live comfortably). Any excess money apparently will not actually make you any happier (I can agree with that)

Now if you're on €150k a year (a great salary by any measure) and choose to take out a loan for a €200k Lexus and struggle with the repayments, that's on you and your desire for beyond your means unnecessary bling....constantly trying to keep up with the Jones will never make you happy...money has got nothing to do with that rather sad and soulless mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime when you have a couple of cars and three houses and three homes and a few housekeepers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, a couple I know are on 170k combined gross approx.

They often complain about costs, etc.

I know of a couple on combined of I'd say 450-500k (wouldnt be rude enough to ask, basing this off the jobs they have) who even complain about the struggles! Very jarring when you hear of people making 150K (around 7k a month take home) plus who are living paycheck to paycheck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

As long as there is anonymous internet forums people are going to lie and be in Walter Mitty land.
    Happens here every thread, someone comes on and says 100k is not a high salary if you're living in Dublin.....you need to be on 200k like me to make ends meet.
    I dont know why people do it anonymously but its rampant. Could be boredom. Everything you read should be taken with a pinch of salt. Might be true, might not, we all have the ability to type whatever we want.

You wont see it happening on any sites where you are identifiable, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As Biggie once said, "Mo money mo problems".

I wouldn't even say its more problems, but its more "stuff" to manage and any mistakes will be multiplied in real money terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

COPE
    O
    P
    E

I have no idea what you're going on about.
    Be honest... Where you having a conversation in your head and you thought I said something? Be honest now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

ongarboy wrote: »

In relation to the money = happiness theory, I read before that €75,000 a year is the optimum amount you need to aspire to for financial security based happiness (i.e. never having to worry about paying bills to live comfortably). Any excess money apparently will not actually make you any happier (I can agree with that)

Couldn’t agree more, if anybody on here needs any assistance capping their income to achieve optimum happiness then I’d be willing to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

A bus? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'd like to hear from Mr. Angus von Bismarck on this.

He gets around €200 a week on the dole. Collects his 'wages' down the post office on a Tuesday, but between cans of Dutch Gold (it's a brand of beer from the Netherlands), cigarettes and a gambling habit, it's usually gone by Thursday. In addition to the dole, he gets the odd day's work here and there (cash in hand, obviously). I think he's signed up to do an ECDL course through Fás (or whatever it's called now), so he'll probably be entitled to a few extra euro for doing that.

00113481-1500.jpg

"I wanna tell you something... try it some time..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

A good chunk of people on AAM are likely Consultants and GP's who might know very little about savings/pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Studies in the US conclude that people do indeed report greater levels of happiness with more money up until 75k USD. Which is the point all your material needs are met, you are a fairly unshakable member of the middle class and have confidence in your future.

After that, no further gains in happiness are reported with more wealth and in many cases, life satisfaction declines as your work consumes more of your life or you find yourself in social circles where you have more, but you feel poorer relative to your peers.

The Diderot effect: "I was the master of my old cape, but I am a slave to my new one."

Like when you buy a new expensive item for your wardrobe, and it makes everything else you own look shoddy. So you obsessively have to consume more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Every time there's a thread on boards about salaries it's comical how many people suddenly appear who are earning simply ridiculous and entirely unrealistic salaries.

Most about what you read about people's salaries online is just lies.

Advertisement