Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SuperSpeed Sticks

• 25-02-2021 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Has anyone tried these before? Looking at reviews on YouTube and they look really effective.

Looked on the European site where they're shipped from Ireland and the bundle with the launch monitor is €431.95

Checked out the US site and the same bundle is $349 (€285!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Has anyone tried these before? Looking at reviews on YouTube and they look really effective.

Looked on the European site where they're shipped from Ireland and the bundle with the launch monitor is €431.95

Checked out the US site and the same bundle is $349 (€285!)

The US price never includes tax. So add duty and tax on to that as well as shipping, which also has vat added on to it.

Common sales tax in the US is around 10% so its 349 plus 10%, approx 385 or 315

349 plus 4-5% duty plus 21% vat that's around 443 which is around €362 now add shipping to that

The price differential is not as great as you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

You can get superspeed sticks for €225.00 in McGuirks.

If you don't mind changing the weights manually you can buy the Swing Speed Golf Swing Speed Golf Training Kit. Basically the same product (one club with three interchangeable weights). I bought one from McGuirks for €139.00 at Christmas. They seem to be out of stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Decoy2

SuperSpeed for €225 in McGuirks is probably as cheap as you'll get them anywhere to be fair, pretty good price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Decoy2 wrote: »
    SuperSpeed for €225 in McGuirks is probably as cheap as you'll get them anywhere to be fair, pretty good price

was looking at these and I'm very tempted to get them, but that's a nice chunk of lessons also which may see a bigger improvement in the overall game so I cant decide.

Check out Rick Shiels on Youtube, he's just used these to improve his clubhead speed. IMO lessons will help you with better ball-striking & direction control which will both help with distance but clubhead speed isn't something a teaching pro necessarily work on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

I got the sticks and launch monitor bundle from the superspeed website in December, paid £380 / €415, I paid in sterling and that was pre brexit.

I've enjoyed the training so far, only takes about 10/15 minutes 3 times a week - I've seen increases in my speeds on the launch monitor with the sticks for my non-dominant side (currently 8 weeks in), but my dominant side has been around the same - 131mph max with the green, 117mph with the red - my average driver swing at a trackman fitting in December was around 107mph pre speed training, so will be interesting to check that in a few months.

I'm not sure how it will translate into my actual golf swing yet as obviously haven't been able to get to a course or range this year!

Its purely speed training, I can't see how it would help with technique / ball striking. Although from reading some quotes from some of the pro's over the last while, some of their advice for someone starting off has been to learn to swing as fast as possible first, then get the technique down after.

I've used the launch monitor a couple times on the range in December - I'm not sure how accurate it is vs trackman etc. but for the price its probably accurate enough of my level of golf - 24 HCP!

I'm also getting lessons (or I am whenever the ranges are open!), I'd deffo be choosing lessons over these if you were looking to improve your swing / scores.

These are probably a bit of a novelty for me, and help pass the time in lockdown. Any speed gains will be a bonus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

mk7775 wrote: »
    in December was around 107mph pre speed training
    my level of golf - 24 HCP!

I can't reconcile these two statements, do you just go around topping the ball?

haha a lot of chunks, big slices and 3 putts unfortunately!!

I've always had plenty club head speed, the lessons are helping improve my control of the clubface and misses / consistency.

Any time I'm playing with new people and I manage to crack a drive 250+ I do get questions about the 24! It was an official handicap from my club though, started at 26 and was trending down pre lockdown.

I'm getting my excuses in early in case I get out to the boards society this year!

If my driver clubhead speed was 100mph+ I wouldn't even be considering increasing it, especially if my h'cap was 24. Put the Speedsticks away & get some lessons!

I am getting lessons, the speedsticks are just something to try and make up for the lack of golf over the last two months / next month! Better than nothing for sure.

I don't see the harm in also trying to gain more speed though if it doesn't affect technique - from a stroke gained point of view, more distance on drives / less distance into the green is always better as long as the dispersion isn't getting a lot worse.

Wouldn't you like to be able to hit a 300 yard drive from time to time? I certainly do!!

I appreciate its not necessary for every hole / course, but deffo more fun from my point of view!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

fungie wrote: »
    I can't reconcile these two statements, do you just go around topping the ball?

:D I love it.

Don't mind them mk7775, they're just jealous. Get fast now, get accurate later

trackman fitting in December was around 107mph pre speed training
    my level of golf - 24 HCP!
    I'm getting my excuses in early in case I get out to the boards society this year!

:D:D welcome to the society, you're in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Agree that there is nothing wrong with working on speed regardless of what handicap you are.

I have just started week 4 of the training and have similar figures to MK7775,

Green stick is 133mph, blue 130mph, red 121mph

Was 107mph driver before starting and have recorded 122mph hitting a ball into the net. got 128mph with the driver fresh air..

Would highly recommend them and do not buy the sticks without the PRGR monitor. Dont buy the cheaper swing speed radar.

There is no point doing this training if you cant see your gains. I find the PRGR is increadibally consistant.. and you can get ball speed, carry, smash factor and total distance which you cant get on the swing radar.

Im constantly at the net trying to up my ball speed. I can see it dropping with the same swing speed when I have off center hits. super piece of kit for ball data at that price.

Be sure to also put together a record sheet of all swing sessions. I have it done in excel, but any method is fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

etxp wrote: »
    was looking at these and I'm very tempted to get them, but that's a nice chunk of lessons also which may see a bigger improvement in the overall game so I cant decide.

hope you bought them for €225. just seen the price change on McGuirks, back up to €279

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Agree that there is nothing wrong with working on speed regardless of what handicap you are.

Was 107mph driver before starting and have recorded 122mph hitting a ball into the net. got 128mph with the driver fresh air..

Would highly recommend them and do not buy the sticks without the PRGR monitor. Dont buy the cheaper swing speed radar.

There is no point doing this training if you cant see your gains. I find the PRGR is increadibally consistant.. and you can get ball speed, carry, smash factor and total distance which you cant get on the swing radar.

Im constantly at the net trying to up my ball speed. I can see it dropping with the same swing speed when I have off center hits. super piece of kit for ball data at that price.

Be sure to also put together a record sheet of all swing sessions. I have it done in excel, but any method is fine..

I bought the sticks but didn't bother with the monitor, not required. I don't care that my swing increased from x to y. It's on the course is all I care about, the numbers are just for ego.

fungie wrote: »
    I bought the sticks but didn't bother with the monitor, not required. I don't care that my swing increased from x to y. It's on the course is all I care about, the numbers are just for ego.

I dont agree. What I have found it that the harder I go after the swing the less speed I get.

The feedback from the monitor has been crucial in developing a better swing sequence that has ultimatly resulted in a faster swing speed for me.

If you can swing 128mph with no ball on the ground, then put the sticks away, you do not need them, you just need to figure out why you cant swing that speed with a ball there and then work on that. That would be my thinking.

golfguy1 wrote: »
    hope you bought them for €225. just seen the price change on McGuirks, back up to €279

Unfortunately I did not :mad:

If you can swing 128mph with no ball on the ground, then put the sticks away, you do not need them, you just need to figure out why you cant swing that speed with a ball there and then work on that. That would be my thinking.

Thats a max swing speed Ive reached with driver after the training is finished - I take 3 driver swings before and after each session to record speed.

Its absolutley all out and would probably miss the ball if I was to bring that to the course.

In my last 6 sessions ive hit 128, 121, 120, 127, 121, 127 with the driver at the end of the training. The high numbers were only hit the once with the 3 swings.

Unfortunately I did not :mad:

the suprspeed deal with the PRGR monitor for €430ish is a good deal.

PRGR in Mcguirks is €230 so even with the sticks at €225 the total is still €455 which is more expensive.

• Advertisement

the suprspeed deal with the PRGR monitor for €430ish is a good deal.

PRGR in Mcguirks is €230 so even with the sticks at €225 the total is still €455 which is more expensive.

Already have the PRGR. There is the new "Stack System" coming out in the coming months so i might hold out and see what the reviews are on that. I'm in no panic to increase speed. I'm about 100/102 with the driver so not too bad as it is, but could improve.

Already have the PRGR. There is the new "Stack System" coming out in the coming months so i might hold out and see what the reviews are on that. I'm in no panic to increase speed. I'm about 100/102 with the driver so not too bad as it is, but could improve.

Havent heard of the stack system tbh. Will stick with these for a few months to see where I end up.

Nothing wrong with that speed, but I have lost some distance over the past few months and wanted to pick that back up. Also there is quite a bit of evidence the superspeed improves your kinamatic sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The stack system looks good. The biggest advantage being a designated app to track your progress and I believe helps fine tune your sessions.

Not sure I will ever bite the bullet as my shoulder can struggled with overspeed training! Might be an idea to see a physio first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Is there such a thing as a speed training device with an adjustable weight head that looks like a normal club and can hit a foam ball? I have a Swing Speed Radar and using normal cubs my swing speed is well down unless I swing at an actual ball. This makes me think that swinging a speed stick without hitting anything with it might not translate very well. Or have I gotten the wrong end of the stick here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I see a few here have the PRGR which I'm considering for home net hitting.

What a peoples impressions of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and it seems accurate. I won't be able to confirm until my club opens and I can use the system in the pro shop, but if it's out, it's not by much. It registers every swing, even without hitting the ball, and even if you swing away from and towards it, which is useful when you're doing the Speedstick training.

I'm not sure how accurate the smash factor and carry distances are but for the purposes of measuring your swing speed, it works very well.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I see a few here have the PRGR which I'm considering for home net hitting.

What a peoples impressions of it?

It is a very good monitor.

I’m tracking my results for 5 ish weeks now with the swing speed sticks and the consistency of my swing speeds are very precise.
    I have yet to put it up against a trackman or GC Quad due to lockdown, but if there is a delta either way the it’s simply a matter of adding or subtracting that figure, although I’m led to believe it’s very close.

Smash factor/ball speed works well too as I also tracked my face strike with foot spray on irons and woods and can see the ball speed drop on off centre strikes.

It’s a great piece of kit for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I asked about this already but have looked into it more. I see that there are lightweight drivers available that seem be aimed at seniors/those with slow speeds. One such driver is the Wilson D7.

I'm thinking of getting one as a light training club and it may well be useful as a driver for using on the course.

Wilson D7 with a standard flex shaft is apparently 272 grams
    My Nike driver is a few years old and I have weighed it as 325 grams
    Have another similar Nike driver than I could stick weights to to make a heavy training aid.

Any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I asked about this already but have looked into it more. I see that there are lightweight drivers available that seem be aimed at seniors/those with slow speeds. One such driver is the Wilson D7.

I'm thinking of getting one as a light training club and it may well be useful as a driver for using on the course.

Wilson D7 with a standard flex shaft is apparently 272 grams
    My Nike driver is a few years old and I have weighed it as 325 grams
    Have another similar Nike driver than I could stick weights to to make a heavy training aid.

Any comments?

Take this with a pinch of salt if you want, but Superspeed maintain (rightly or wrongly) that the actual weights of the training aids/clubs are very important. Apparently (according to them) it’s not just a matter of swinging a heavy club to gain speed.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »

Any comments?

I wouldn't try this as I think it could mess with your timing. For what it's worth though I also am also resistant to the idea of trying to improve your golf game by swinging different weighted sticks (ie the whole point of this thread :rolleyes:)

Advertisement