Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Formula 2 and Formula 3

• 06-03-2021 5:48pm

Thought it might be an idea to have a separate thread to the F1 thread. Just because at times in the past I've recorded the support races only to have the spoiled in the F1 thread when there's actually something noteworthy that's happened. :pac:

Aaaaaanyway, provisional calendars look like they're split so only one will be at each F1 weekend and neither at Monaco. A little disappointed to see that F2 won't be at Zandvoort, I could see that actually being a decent race. Though I don't know if the calendars have been confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We'll be seeing plenty of Matteo Nannini this year. Hes racing for HWA in both F2 and F3! Thats three races every race weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Should be a good season for both series. I'd expect Schwartzman to build on last year's performance. Looking forward to seeing what Vips can do now he is full-time in F2 - a Red Bull-backed driver to possibly breakthrough into F1 next year depending how Perez/Gasly/Tsunoda shake out during the year. The fear I have is F1 silly season might start very early this year.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Great season ahead, shwartzman, daruvala, vips, Armstrong. All title contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Womens W series is going to be at some of the races that F1 go to this year too so maybe this thread could incorporate that too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1.41 seconds covered 1 - 21 in this mornings test session. Deledda was last (22nd) 1.49 seconds behind 21st.

pjohnson wrote: »
    1.41 seconds covered 1 - 21 in this mornings test session. Deledda was last (22nd) 1.49 seconds behind 21st.

How did he get a cockpit at HWA lab, just seeing they lost everything (DTM formula e) still he looks like the Indian driver of two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Harika wrote: »
    How did he get a cockpit at HWA lab, just seeing they lost everything (DTM formula e) still he looks like the Indian driver of two years ago.

2 years in F3 and finishes no higher than 16th. Average finish of 24th or 25th. Yikes.

He competed in 2021 F3 Asia with Pinnacle Motorsport - a team running under the Irish flag. Poking around their Twitter points out some young Irish talent racing in various junior categories. Wonder would it be worth a thread to keep tabs on the Irish juniors around the world?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

F2 Calendar. Assuming all on Sky F1

26-28 March – Sakhir, Bahrain
    20-22 May – Monte Carlo, Monaco
    04-06 June – Baku, Azerbaijan
    16-18 July – Silverstone, UK
    10-12 September – Monza, Italy
    24-26 September – Sochi, Russia
    26-28 November – Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    03-05 December – Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi

Bahrain Race Weekend for F2:

Free Practice Friday 10:05-10:50
    Qualifying Session Friday 13:30-14:00
    Sprint Race 1 Saturday 10:25-11:10
    Sprint Race 2 Saturday 16:40-17:25
    Feature Race Sunday 10:50-11:50*

*I've no idea if daylight savings affects this. Will need to check the listings on Sky later.

• Advertisement

Updated to include daylight saving: There are 3 races this weekend which I only noticed now - should be great craic.

Free Practice Friday 10:05-10:50
    Qualifying Session Friday 13:30-14:00
    Sprint Race 1 Saturday 10:25-11:10
    Sprint Race 2 Saturday 16:40-17:25
    Feature Race Sunday 11:50-12:50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Wow, just also noticed the 2 Sprints and 1 Feature race. This is going to be great!

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Wow, just also noticed the 2 Sprints and 1 Feature race. This is going to be great!

Yeah but F2 and F3 will alternate so no more extra races each weekend overall.

Qualifying was great right up to the end.

I'm wondering how the Grid to race 1 winner > then select race 2 grid > race 2 winner > feature grid, etc will work out. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Qualifying was great right up to the end.

I'm wondering how the Grid to race 1 winner > then select race 2 grid > race 2 winner > feature grid, etc will work out. Anyone know?

Qualifying sets the grid for the feature race. The top 10 qualifiers are reversed for sprint race 1 (P10 qualifier starts P1) and the top 10 finishers in sprint race 1 are reversed to set the grid for sprint race 2.

Ticktum such an eejit. You can't just turn in like that. He tried doing a big switchback on the first corner.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ticktum such an eejit. You can't just turn in like that. He tried doing a big switchback on the first corner.

Plus I don't think many of the drivers would have seen him in that positioning

That race was great fun

Yes, great race. Pit stops made it interesting.

I think the issue with 18 inch wheels and tyre deg makes some of these sprint races a good watch. Feature race is tomorrow with a mandatory pit stop - it'll be about strategy and when to pit.

Lundgaard got his second place back as he served the penalty under the safety car in the pit stop.
    Alpine juniors 123
    Great race

• Advertisement

During the pits I had thought Luungard had served his time penalty because of how long he was in there, although the cameras weren't showing it. I was then confused when both commentators and FIA missed it. Glad he got the right result. He drove a great race.

Schwartzman making a bit of a meal of it on lap 1 this morning in the feature race! Such an experienced guy making a simple error.

During the pits I had thought Luungard had served his time penalty because of how long he was in there, although the cameras weren't showing it. I was then confused when both commentators and FIA missed it. Glad he got the right result. He drove a great race.

Schwartzman making a bit of a meal of it on lap 1 this morning in the feature race! Such an experienced guy making a simple error.

Same here, was convinced Lundgard served his penalty at the stop. Shame he didn't get to stand on the podium but at least he has the points.

Schwartzman has had a shocker this weekend, while his rookie teammate has been on it. Only 8 rounds in the championship, he can't afford another bad weekend

What a race, so many fights through the field it was hard to keep up

Monaco race 1 was a bit of a snorefest.

Second race could be good as starting at wet conditions and will dry up

Hilarious that you hear the tyres screaming

Good race, perfect for breakfast

Hopefully get to see Sprint Race 2 at Baku on Sky now. I think it's slightly delayed due to F1 red flags.

https://twitter.com/Formula2/status/1401176319740760068?s=19

Jaysis, someone get the violins out for Dan Tictum. Such a whinger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Why do I get the feeling that Sky's German or Italian operations wouldn't pay him so much attention?

Advertisement