Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just bought a drone

Options
  • 06-03-2021 9:39am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just bought a drone
    A 3DR Solo, (€300) which I should have by Monday, all going well.
    I also picked up a GoPro for it, also due in on Monday.
    I got it on the recommendation of my brother, who owns the same drone. I got to see it in action and it was fantastic.
    So,
    What next?
    I will have to register myself as an operator, with the IAA.
    What would be good practice then, and recommendations?
    I think the sheer mass of the drone should make it pretty stable, but I'm taking no chances!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just bought a drone
    A 3DR Solo, (€300) which I should have by Monday, all going well.
    I also picked up a GoPro for it, also due in on Monday.
    I got it on the recommendation of my brother, who owns the same drone. I got to see it in action and it was fantastic.
    So,
    What next?
    I will have to register myself as an operator, with the IAA.
    What would be good practice then, and recommendations?
    I think the sheer mass of the drone should make it pretty stable, but I'm taking no chances!

check IAAs info here https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/droneshttps://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones its pretty much covering everything plus when out and about, always check https://airspace.flyryte.com/ for specific airspace. Also, UAS Forecast app is pretty useful :)
    enjoy your drone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks for that.
    While it's a lovely thing, I wonder if I have backed the wrong horse, given that the spares are in short supply.
    Conversations about batteries on different forums given me cause to pause, as they have a natural life span and I don't think I'll be able to find capable replacements easily.
    The official app alone hasn't been updated since 2016 and refuses to work on my Android 11 phone!
    I've an alternative app installed and I look forward to trying it, but... well, maybe I should have gone DJI instead...
    Anyway, the €300 spent on it isn't that much, so if I can get a couple of years out of it that will be worth its weight.
    I mainly want it for getting some decent photos as sources for paintings, so it could pay for itself in a couple of months, not to mention the GoPro Hero4 on board can be sold on for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

That UAS Forecast app looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Feltskies

May I ask were you able to successfully register yourself online with iaa?

I haven't been able to get past the sign up page this week so I'm wondering are they not taking new registrations due to covid. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Feltskies wrote: »
    May I ask were you able to successfully register yourself online with iaa?

I haven't been able to get past the sign up page this week so I'm wondering are they not taking new registrations due to covid. ðŸ˜

Done mine this week. No issues. Make sure you sign up on a laptop/desktop as I believe there is issues using mobile phones to sigh up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

There's also issues with Internet Explorer as well so use Chrome or Edge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you have to add the go-pro to the drone I’m assuming there’s no camera already on the drone?

Advertisement