Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Behind her eyes [Netflix]

• 21-02-2021 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Just finished Behind her eyes, loved it.

The twist in last episode was something of a surprise. Overall thought Eve Hewson's acting was good, impressed ... soundtrack pretty cool too (e.g. Lykke Li "I know places" ...)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,948 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Waste of six hours. Called the "twist" after episode 4....

Its a show which really doesn't know what it wants to be.
    Robbie is the best character, and is pivotal, yet has too little of screen time. Even at that however he's the most believable character, everyone else is either a 2D caricature or a parody. Louise is OK, David is one of the worst written characters ever and Adele is psycho 101.

If you've nothing else to watch, it's digestible.... But don't expect your socks blown off

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It's funny how so many can see the same series and have different opinions.

I enjoyed it.
    I wasn't expecting the twist, but when it came, it actually made the storyline much better than I'd first thought.
    It made a few things very clear. And the entire story somehow seemed more clever than I'd initially thought.

I thought Eve Hewson was very good as I'd not seen her act before.
    Robert Aramayo as Rob, so nice to see an actor who's not traditionally handsome get a lead role and excel in it.

And David? Surely him being a little all over the place makes complete sense?
    Why wouldn't he be, given everything lurking in their past.

I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

sydthebeat wrote: »

Robbie is the best character, and is pivotal, yet has too little of screen time. Even at that however he's the most believable character, everyone else is either a 2D caricature or a parody. Louise is OK, David is one of the worst written characters ever and Adele is psycho 101.

If you've nothing else to watch, it's digestible.... But don't expect your socks blown off

Pivotal means exactly that: of importance in relation to the development or success of something else.
    - imo Rob is only meant to help build Adele, did what it needed to do, with a bit of Trainspotting flavor - what's new or missing to the role other than that, dunno, I'd say nothing ?!?
    Eve's acting is split across two decades, more complex -I defo favor that over the single mom's you seem to OK.

The story line is quirky, but such mini-series doesn't have to appeal to everyone ... same as with every other series on netflix, if you don't like it, for sure you give it up sooner than the 6 episodes ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Just finished it too. Watched 5 in a row on Sat night and opted to keep the finale back.
    Expecting a twist or 2 for sure but wasn't expecting that. To say far fetched is an understatement.
    Did get sucked in mid way and and found it intriguing - good performances from all I thought.
    There will be a bit of head scratching at the end and I believe there's a support group set up on facebook to help people deal with the ending ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,948 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mvl wrote: »
    - imo Rob is only meant to help build Adele, did what it needed to do, with a bit of Trainspotting flavor - what's new or missing to the role other than that, dunno, I'd say nothing ?!?

ermmm

you dont think robbie had any other part to play in the whole thing??
    even just a small part .....

LOL

did you even watch the last episode?
    mvl wrote: »
    Eve's acting is split across two decades, more complex -I defo favor that over the single mom's you seem to OK.

no idea what your on about here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

ermmm
    you dont think robbie had any other part to play in the whole thing??
    even just a small part .....
    LOL
    did you even watch the last episode?
    your previous statement on Rob was "yet has too little of screen time"... imo the screen time allocated to Rob is sufficient, for what is a ... pivotal character.
    no idea what your on about here
    you can replace that part with ... Louise (as she's the single mom in this series, remember ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Well I didnt see that coming. All in all a good watch, like above Rob by far the best character serious trainspotting vibes from him. The twist at the end very very far fetched but very very original.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it similar to Dr. Foster but with a twist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thought it was absolutely class ,yeah it's a little out there but the ending made the rest make so much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Thought this was absolute rubbish. I got to about episode 4 and had a feeling it was about to take an absurd turn, and so it did. I can't say I thought much of Eve Hewson either. Her accent slipped constantly and was her character not supposed to be Scottish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Don't agree with it being rubbish but defo an issue with the accent slipping in the later episodes. To be fair the accent was never Scottish, more English I thought but it did drift into her native tone at times. But overall I thought she did well at playing the nutter. Why was she in 'hospital' at the very start, assume it was following the death of her parents but not sure if that was ever made clear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's my point, she never even attempted a Scottish accent. Her character was Scottish unless I'm mistaken about it. She grew up on a Scottish country estate, she may not have had a thick working class accent like Rob but surely would have had something of a Scottish accent.

That's my point, she never even attempted a Scottish accent. Her character was Scottish unless I'm mistaken about it. She grew up on a Scottish country estate, she may not have had a thick working class accent like Rob but surely would have had something of a Scottish accent.

The Scottish aristocrats often have a received pronunciation accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I had no problem with Eve Hewson's accent. She obviously did the accent she was asked to do, and it's quite likely that someon like Adele went to a posh boarding school. I do agree that Rob was the most compelling character.

I really enjoyed this, and I didn't see the twist coming. Digesting that ending was probably the longest I've gone without thinking about the bloody pandemic in ages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Just finished the last 2 episodes tonight, and have to say I'm disappointed with it. I thought at the start that it was a really good psychological thriller, but then, it changed. A more sci-fi story to it then, which kind of ruined it for me. I like sci-fi, but not when it comes from left field like that, and not in my psych-thrillers.

Worth watching, but not if you don't like crazy off the wall twists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Big let down in the end. Really jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I must admit I was a tad intrigued by the first episode of this show...but then it went gradually and then dramatically off the rails
    I honestly don't mind something a bit weird or even sci fi...I was about to spoil another show but I wont...but this was just too bonkers and stupid for me. Eve Hewson was weird and stilted but that kind of made some sense I suppose...it was all a bit mad and OTT, not for me give me a good scandi show any day, I recommend the Valhalla murders on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just finished it.

I enjoyed it.

I spent most of the time trying to figure out who was the real nutcase.

I loved the twist in the end even though I usually hate anything remotely sci-fi.
    Really felt sorry for the kid Adam in the end, in the last episode when Louise dropped him off to the father you though that if anything bad happens to her he at least will be safe and in a good home. But then he ends up with someone who has taken the body of his mother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Agree, except for the twist at the end, that totally got me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Binge watched it iver last few days. I enjoyed it. All characters were strong. The twist to sci fi was unusual. It was all a bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It's funny how so many can see the same series and have different opinions.

I enjoyed it.
    I wasn't expecting the twist, but when it came, it actually made the storyline much better than I'd first thought.
    It made a few things very clear. And the entire story somehow seemed more clever than I'd initially thought.

I thought Eve Hewson was very good as I'd not seen her act before.
    Robert Aramayo as Rob, so nice to see an actor who's not traditionally handsome get a lead role and excel in it.

And David? Surely him being a little all over the place makes complete sense?
    Why wouldn't he be, given everything lurking in their past.

I'd recommend it.

I agree. Didn't expect the twist at all, and I usually predict twists pretty early on in these things.

To be honest it gave me nightmares :(

There was no way to predict the twist, as one guy said he did earlier. Probably if I watched it back I would see it made some sense. There was one scene which didn’t make a lot of sense involving one of the characters seeming jealous which didn’t go well with his sexual orientation, that later did make sense.

Only in the last episode did we learn the fact that could have solved the mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I suspect people who can't comprehend the ending being worked out are people who generally wouldn't touch the horror genre with a barge pole. Figured it was where they were going before the conclusion myself.

An okay passable show with a bunch to discuss but it's not something I'd recommend. Acting from the leads wasn't up to a whole lot wasn't shocked to look up and discover the guy wasn't even Scottish (in fact neither was the Rob actor but he'd an improved accent ha), Eve Hewson was grand but won't be shaking the young Bono tag based on that performance.

I suspect people who can't comprehend the ending being worked out are people who generally wouldn't touch the horror genre with a barge pole. Figured it was where they were going before the conclusion myself.

It’s not a horror show. Not really. And it was more like a psychological drama to begin with. There were two twists. Both came right after each other. The second twist depended on the first. The first depended on a fact that was revealed only in the last episode. And that depended on something revealed in the penultimate episode.
    The first 4 episodes didn’t even mention anything supernatural.

Which is why some people don’t like it. I was ok with it but I didn’t need to work it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I thought it was good, but once you saw the different colours, you knew what was up!!!

It’s not a horror show. Not really. And it was more like a psychological drama to begin with. There were two twists. Both came right after each other.[/spoiler]

I didn't say it was a horror (which it certainly isn't) just that the concept has been done to death in the horror genre albeit with more success. My thought was just that outside of that spectrum many may be unaware, unique a previous poster described it as.

Of course selling it like a conventional drama but for it to materialize that it's actually a sci-fi is bound to ruffle some feathers naturally. Personally don't have those limitations so wasn't overly fussed, slightly baffled perhaps not for me but out of sheer interest in the reaction of others maybe.

No they didn't mention
    anything supernatural
    in the first 4 but the flashbacks were from Robs point of view and it stuck in my head can't remember the particular line but essentially
    he wants to...BE HER
    this combined with the twist when they
    showed the orbs leaving the bodies
    the minute they did that I had it set that the eventual outcome was very much a distinct possibility.

I didn't say it was a horror (which it certainly isn't) just that the concept has been done to death in the horror genre albeit with more success. My thought was just that outside of that spectrum many may be unaware, unique a previous poster described it as.

Of course selling it like a conventional drama but for it to materialize that it's actually a sci-fi is bound to ruffle some feathers naturally. Personally don't have those limitations so wasn't overly fussed, slightly baffled perhaps not for me but out of sheer interest in the reaction of others maybe.

No they didn't mention
    anything supernatural
    in the first 4 but the flashbacks were from Robs point of view and it stuck in my head can't remember the particular line but essentially
    he wants to...BE HER
    this combined with the twist when they
    showed the orbs leaving the bodies
    the minute they did that I had it set that the eventual outcome was very much a distinct possibility.

Hmm. Firstly its not sci fi at all. Not set in the future. Or in a galaxy far far away. There is no technology involved in it at all. You might be confusing Sci Fi with supernatural. As for the other claims:
    The flashbacks were always both Adele and Rob. The orbs leaving the bodies, wasn't even shown until episode 5. Astral projection isn't a real thing but even if you can accept that it happens, it doesn't mean people can swap souls permanently. Also it doesn't make much sense that Rob would kill someone he claimed to love over a guy he just met. He was until then shown relatively sympathetically. Theres no way of working anything out until the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I read the book.
    Biggest pile of shoite going.

To thine own self be true

Hmm. Firstly its not sci fi at all. Not set in the future. Or in a galaxy far far away. There is no technology involved in it at all. You might be confusing Sci Fi with supernatural. As for the other claims:
    The flashbacks were always both Adele and Rob. The orbs leaving the bodies, wasn't even shown until episode 5. Astral projection isn't a real thing but even if you can accept that it happens, it doesn't mean people can swap souls permanently. Also it doesn't make much sense that Rob would kill someone he claimed to love over a guy he just met. He was until then shown relatively sympathetically. Theres no way of working anything out until the last episode.

Okay this is weird you seem to be particular over the notion people couldn't draw their own conclusions before the reveal.

Sci-Fi means science fiction like even you say
    Astral projection
    is not scientifically possible, this is most certainly a Sci-Fi element, if you only associate movies set in Space as Sci-Fi that's your business.

Despite
    Adele
    obviously appearing in the flashbacks it was always with the slant of
    Robs
    troubles, his impressions of
    Adele
    etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9698442/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Just finished watching this, very good series, great twist, I kind of wish now I had read the book first ....

Eve Hewson (Bono's daughter) is a decent actress too ...

edit oops, just discovered the other thread, and can't seem to delete this ... /sorry

Advertisement