Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay Hill

• 04-03-2021 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

The 6th at Bay Hill is a dog leg par 5 over water. About 550 yards tee to green but less than 350 yards in a straight line. People have tried to drive it in the past. John Daly once took 18 in proving he couldn't.

DeChambeau has been trying in practice rounds. He hasn't made it yet but the wind wasn't helping. It will be interesting to see what he does in the tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭willabur

First Up wrote: »
    The 6th at Bay Hill is a dog leg par 5 over water. About 550 yards tee to green but less than 350 yards in a straight line. People have tried to drive it in the past. John Daly once took 18 in proving he couldn't.

DeChambeau has been trying in practice rounds. He hasn't made it yet but the wind wasn't helping. It will be interesting to see what he does in the tournament.

Can't see anyone doing it in tournament play that has anything to play for. Mostly because point of entry is basically the tee box

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

willabur wrote:
    Can't see anyone doing it in tournament play that has anything to play for. Mostly because point of entry is basically the tee box

Par still possible even with a 2nd ball off the tee but I agree trying it would most likely be for the notoriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Daly got it on the 7th attempt I believe :D

Daly got it on the 7th attempt I believe

I thought he gave up on it. I don't recall watching it at the time but I think the graphic on the Golf Channel this morning showed him eventually playing via the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I thought he gave up on it. I don't recall watching it at the time but I think the graphic on the Golf Channel this morning showed him eventually playing via the fairway.

You're correct, I'd say big John was worried he'd have no balls left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Daly apparently didn’t go for the green. Paul Goydos commented on an article about it on Twitter and said it’s fiction that he went for the green. He marked his card that day.

Bryson only talking about it to keep himself being talked about. No way he’ll try it in the tournament IMO.

fullstop wrote:
    Daly didn’t go for the green. Paul Goydos commented on an article about it on Twitter and said it’s fiction that he went for the green. He marked his card that day.
    The illustrations show Daly went for the green five times.
    fullstop wrote:
    Bryson only talking about it to keep himself being talked about. No way he’ll try it in the tournament IMO.

I suspect that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I’ve been lucky to play it a number of times, 3,6 and 11 looks like it’s all just water from the tee. Scary stuff if your stock shot is a hook !!!!

The illustrations show Daly went for the green five times.

I suspect that is correct.

Yeah I saw the illustrations, but they didn’t have shot tracker in those days so someone basically drew those onto a picture of the hole. It was posted in the golf.com article which Goydos commented on.

https://twitter.com/paulgoydospga/status/1367269164814065665?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Shane Lowry just had a double bogey on it.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote:
    Yeah I saw the illustrations, but they didn’t have shot tracker in those days so someone basically drew those onto a picture of the hole. It was posted in the golf.com article which Goydos commented on.

Thanks. Someone has it wrong but Goydos' version doesn't clarify it much.

Thanks. Someone has it wrong but Goydos' version doesn't clarify it much.

It certainly doesn’t clarify the original tee shot :D was looking for a video but couldn’t find one. Did come across ‘John Daly’s biggest meltdowns’ which was interesting viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

In fairness to Long John he recovered one of the shots at the next hole. Went 18-2!

DeChambeau managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Such a hullabaloo about Bryson’s tee shot. He didn’t go for it. He bailed out right yet celebrated on the tee like a long drive championship. He carried it 10yds further than Rory who didn’t jump out of his shoes hitting the ball.

Such hype.

DeChambeau managed it.

Managed what? He hit it 75 yards right of the green. He was absolutely miles up in fairness, but he didn’t go for the green.

fullstop wrote:
    Managed what? He hit it 75 yards right of the green. He was absolutely miles up in fairness, but he didn’t go for the green.

To get on TV.

To get on TV.

:D

Advertisement