Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batter a Garda, walk out of court before your victim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

The case is moving to a higher court, what ye want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

That’s pretty horrible. If you did that in America, you would get a few years. You might have even gotten shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I thought the judge took jurisdiction after hearing about the offenders past. Maybe I misread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No the judge accepted jurisdiction and handed out less than a slap on the wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Probably has other convictions under his belt.

A regular in the courts for the rest of his life as well no doubt.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The defence had told the court the boy had been exposed to extreme domestic violence from a young age.
    And there it is, the "I got beaten so now I get to beat you" defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Good message that the gangs of little scrotes roaming Dublin can basically beat the crap out of anybody they feel like without having to worry

Isn't that more or less what people deserve? I mean at the end of the day we don't live in a dictatorship, there's an election every 4 to 5 years and your local TD comes down to knock on most people's doors at least once. You either challenge the fukcer to make an election issue out of it or else STFU. Everyone complains about it but no one ever forces it with their local TD, no wonder it's out of control.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Isn't that more or less what people deserve? I mean at the end of the day we don't live in a dictatorship, there's an election every 4 to 5 years and your local TD comes down to knock on most people's doors at least once. You either challenge the fukcer to make an election issue out of it or else STFU. Everyone complains about it but no one ever forces it with their local TD, no wonder it's out of control.

The judiciary are independent and not elected.

You to read the article properly would be a great start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There should be mandatory minimum sentences for phyisical assault on members of AGS, which rise substantially depending on the nature of the assault etc.

No wonder the little shîts walk around like they're untouchable and turn complete sections of towns and citys into no-go areas for everyone else, including sometimes even the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Silence from the Left. Attacker is one of their sacred cows while victim is from a group they hate (ACAB)

If attacker was posh / middle class and victim was not a cop, then Left would be screaming about postcode justice

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This country needs to wake up, fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I wish the media would emphasise the individual judge's responsibility in cases where a horrendously lenient or no sentence is handed down. Headlines should look something like:

"Judge Brendan Toale does not consider the brutal assault of a Garda worthy of a jail sentence"

I wonder would that make a judge think more before letting scum off with a slap on the wrist?

Wouldn't expect anything less of him given his priors. Judge Brendan Toale everyone. It's not quite up there with Judge Nolan letting Kiddy Fiddlers off with a suspended sentence though.
    A 16-year-old schoolboy, who set up a fake profile on dating app Grindr and lured a man into a violent trap, has been spared a custodial sentence

A judge at Dublin District Family Court who found there was “reasonable cause to believe” a child had been sexually abused, has refused an application to have the child taken into care

IN AN UNUSUAL case in the Dublin District Family Court, Judge Sineád Ní Chúlacháin agreed to give a couple whose children had been taken into care a memo written by the judge who made the order.
    The couple are challenging the case in the High Court.
    The court was told that Judge Brendan Toale had made the order to take the children into care until the age of 18 on 26 November — but he had not given reasons as to why. The court was told that the parents “were at a loss to understand the momentous decision”.

A foster mum who cared for a baby since birth has lost a legal battle to adopt it as its birth mother, never saw it again or had any role in its life, wants the child to go to "a couple".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

L1011 wrote: »

Judges are politically appointed. By TD’s. From a shortlist they approve and choose from.

Their agenda and liberal leanings are well known before they are chosen/approved to be put into the job.

Why do you think the country is in such a state.

Politicians also agree, continue and fund the endless stream of free legal aid made available at the taxpayers expense to every scrote and so called unemployed and no resources scumbag that chooses to make his life by crime.It dosn’t pay them to bother working as they will lose their free legal aid and no restitution is ever made from their dole or reatriction put on the getting benefits or housing because of their past criminal records.

The government and their policies that support them is entirely to blame.

Front page headlines minister for ‘justice’ is having emergency leglislation rushed through so she cN take half a year off for maternity - no such urgency or effort ever made to combat crime or protect the citizens of the state from douchbag criminals and recidivist scumbags.

Where are the wives and families of garda in protesting all this - they are organised enough through unions and legal resources - why the endless silence when their loved ones go out powerless to face vermin?

L1011 wrote: »

Yes there are plenty of laws. The judges are reluctant to enforce them.

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    Silence from the Left. Attacker is one of their sacred cows while victim is from a group they hate (ACAB)

If attacker was posh / middle class and victim was not a cop, then Left would be screaming about postcode justice

What's all this rubbish?
    Who cares what the 'left' say, who do you expect to speak for them all?

If the attacker was posh and the victim was not a guard. Well that would be a different crime wouldn't it??!

Guards are assaulted everyday of the week, don't see too many people worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

bubblypop wrote: »
    What's all this rubbish?

If the attacker was posh and the victim was not a guard. Well that would be a different crime wouldn't it??!

Guards are assaulted everyday of the week, don't see too many people worried about it.

We should be worried about it though. Anyone attacking a front line service worker eg guard fireman paramedic should get an automatic custodial sentence.

Yes there are plenty of laws. The judges are reluctant to enforce them.

In many cases so are the gaurds.
    Probably because the industry of justice gets their teeth into them and then the judges hand out nonsense or no sentences.

Crime pays. It pays the criminal, it pays their lawyer, it pays the judges, it pays all the court staff. The victims and society gets ****ed over - and nobody cares. In this case what’s unusual is that it was a gaurd as the victim. Welcome to the reality the rest of us face. No costs to or consequences for criminals.

Maybe this will cause some backlash. Otherwise nothing will change - as usual.

What's all this rubbish?

Nobody collectively speaks for The Left.
    I follow numerous leftie people on social media. They are very selective with what they condemn. Crimes committed by the underprivileged are never condemned by them.

• Advertisement

Nobody collectively speaks for The Left.
    I follow numerous leftie people on social media. They are very selective with what they condemn. Crimes committed by the underprivileged are never condemned by them.

Do people have to comment on everything?

Do people have to comment on everything?

No not everything. But refusing to acknowledge that violent crime exists (or is only perpetrated by rugby players) is not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

No not everything. But refusing to acknowledge that violent crime exists (or is only perpetrated by rugby players) is not a good look.

Maybe some people arent aware of this case. I was only aware of it from this thread.

Maybe you should bring it to that persons attention whom you believe is ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

I wish the media would emphasise the individual judge's responsibility in cases where a horrendously lenient or no sentence is handed down. Headlines should look something like:

"Judge Brendan Toale does not consider the brutal assault of a Garda worthy of a jail sentence"

I wonder would that make a judge think more before letting scum off with a slap on the wrist?

While I think the sentence is a disgrace, my fear would be that we end up with the cesspool journalism they have in the UK if we start down this road.

That country is an absolute mess and the laughing stock of Europe.

Welcome to the reality the rest of us face

Do you seek out and challenge violent criminals? If not then this reality is not the reality you face.

Nor are you likely to have seen the grim / violent reality that the Gardai do on a daily basis.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Well the Guard was on a bike so I’m surprised AGS even bothered to investigate.

Well thats us told. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

batman_oh wrote: »
    Good message that the gangs of little scrotes roaming Dublin can basically beat the crap out of anybody they feel like without having to worry

Yes, if I got a few slaps as a kid I can now give a Garda a hiding or anybody a hiding and the courts will back me instead of my victim or society at large.... THIS is what we are faced with, the fûckwit of a judge earning a six figure salary backing a violent criminal (regardless of age) ahead of the society and the Gardai which he undertook an oath to protect...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wouldn't be a fan of some aspects of the Guards but this is a disgrace, and the judge really ****ed up with the message this sends, either Gardai will become even more reluctant to deal with these areas or they'll feel the need to go more aggressive, both of which are bad options for society as a whole.

Do you seek out and challenge violent criminals? If not then this reality is not the reality you face.

Nor are you likely to have seen the grim / violent reality that the Gardai do on a daily basis.

Would you ever stop moaning about your job and go off sick with something long term or take early retirement. You signed up for it, you wanted to do it, you take the salary. You now hate it - we all know. Yes its terrible, yes its **** for the garda, yet unless your unions organise and sort out another blue flu nothing will change. Accept it or leave. The politicians dont care, noone is putting pressure on them, the industry of law is not going to change ever if it can help it - too many multimillionaires made from it. So make your world a better place and choose a career that will make you happy. Leave your **** job and ait working conditions and the daily **** you have to endure. Your current role and career choice is clearly one you hate and dosn’t agree with you. You are not a tree - if you don’t like where you are MOVE. Stop letting them poison your life and make a walking victim of you and the rest
    of your working life. Bitterly, we all know and can clearly see It is not going to change or get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Would you ever stop moaning about your job and go off sick with something long term or take early retirement. You signed up for it, you wanted to do it, you take the salary. You now hate it - we all know. Yes its terrible, yes its **** for the garda, yet unless your unions organise and sort out another blue flu nothing will change. Accept it or leave. The politicians dont care, noone is putting pressure on them, the industry of law is not going to change ever if it can help it - too many multimillionaires made from it. So make your world a better place and choose a career that will make you happy. Leave your **** job and ait working conditions and the daily **** you have to endure. Your current role and career choice is clearly one you hate and dosn’t agree with you. You are not a tree - if you don’t like where you are MOVE. Stop letting them poison your life and make a walking victim of you and the rest
    of your working life. Bitterly, we all know and can clearly see It is not going to change or get better.

That’s a bit harsh.
    Your telling the poster to move jobs as opposed to society solving the actual problem of feral criminals?

Advertisement