Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun transfer of ownership

Options
  • 06-03-2021 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I am a licensed owner of a shotgun which I no longer need or want... but my father would like it. Is there a "process" to follow for this? Do I need to let local garda station that I no longer have the shotgun and give up my license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Your Father needs to fill out a FCA1 (Fire Arm Application) and hand that into his Garda station.
    When he is granted his application you need to fill out a FCA2 (Amendment / Cancellation), cancelling your license and submit that into your local station.

If your license is due to expire shortly you can hand the shotgun into your local gun dealer for legal storage while your Fathers paper work is going through. In this circumstance you can fill in a FCA2 form and hand it into your Garda station straight away.

All the forms are available for download here-

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Brilliant - thank you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You also have to write a simple letter stating that you are giving your gun to your father. Your Father will need it when he is applying for the licence.

The letter could go something like this:

Muppet Man
    Back of Beyonds
    Ballygobackwards
    Co. Wicklow.

To whom it may concern,

I, Muppet Man, am transferring ownership of my (insert make and model) shotgun, serial number xxxxxxxx to Mr Muppet Man Snr. of Overthehedge, Ballygobackwards, Co. Wicklow.

Regards,

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Absolutely no harm in including a letter with the application form but from experince (inherited one, gave one away, wife cancelled her one and I did both sets of paper work for a friend when he give his away) theres no real need to do so if you wish to keep it simple.

On the application form section 3.3 (B) fill in the information and just write down 'gift'.

For the FCA2 form page 2 'Reason for Cancellation of the Firearm Certificate' just use the first row - Sold to New Holder - put in thier name and licence number.

546058.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Brilliant folks. Thanks. Makes sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement