Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 v 2021 depreciation

• 06-03-2021 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Would appreciate some opinions on this.

Was looking at a 2019 Toyota Rav4 Sol and dealer pricing was coming in at about €35k, which is 15% depreciation versus a 2021 list price of €41k.

I've always worked off a 30% depreciation rate after 2 years. Is this normal or what would you expect....seems to really push you towards stretching towards a 2021 plate, plus then you have the full 3 year warranty versus 1 year left on a 2019 plate. Struggling to see the benefit of a 2019, is this Toyota specific or across all makes.

Totally confused.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You have to remember that factored into that 35k is the dealer's profit margin, straight deal haggling room and prepping the car for resale. 35k is what they are asking for it, not what it sells for. Another factor is that hybrids are very trendy now and the Toyota brand has a very stonge following in Ireland so prices stay high even for used one. Brexit also has a part of it with importing being more expensive now than this time last year.

You also have to take into account that some dealers ask more than others so it's not an accurate indication of depreciation. Here is one asking 31.5k:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2762706

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

You really can't apply a generic figure to depreciation, there's far too many variables at play. You're looking at a high spec RAV4, crossover's and hybrids are really popular right now which is going to help it retain value especially if it has low mileage. A €35k price sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm looking at 182 cars at the moment. They're asking between 37 and 40k now. They initially came out in 182 plates.
    New list price was 60k so they are now between 60 to 66% asking price although none quite 3 years old yet.
    I'd expect I could do a straight deal for 35k now if I wanted and I also expect them to go to around 30k by end of year which would be 50%.

For a 19 car at the moment (is it a 191 or 192) I'd be looking at around 80% give or take a few quid. That ones probably slightly on the high side but a bit of haggling etc might get it a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 frankyman

bazz26 wrote: »
    You have to remember that factored into that 35k is the dealer's profit margin, straight deal haggling room and prepping the car for resale. 35k is what they are asking for it, not what it sells for. Another factor is that hybrids are very trendy now and the Toyota brand has a very stonge following in Ireland so prices stay high even for used one. Brexit also has a part of it with importing being more expensive now than this time last year.

You also have to take into account that some dealers ask more than others so it's not an accurate indication of depreciation. Here is one asking 31.5k:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2762706

Thanks Bazz,

Yeah there's a lot of other factors that l needed to consider. So if the 2019 plate Rav4 is a private sale, l assume then that's where the 30% depreciation would kick in more.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    You really can't apply a generic figure to depreciation, there's far too many variables at play. You're looking at a high spec RAV4, crossover's and hybrids are really popular right now which is going to help it retain value especially if it has low mileage. A €35k price sounds about right to me.

Thanks PaulRyan,

That's true too, seems to be a little more movement on the Luna's versus the Sol comparatively. Good to know €35k sounds about right.

• Advertisement

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I'm looking at 182 cars at the moment. They're asking between 37 and 40k now. They initially came out in 182 plates.
    New list price was 60k so they are now between 60 to 66% asking price although none quite 3 years old yet.
    I'd expect I could do a straight deal for 35k now if I wanted and I also expect them to go to around 30k by end of year which would be 50%.

For a 19 car at the moment (is it a 191 or 192) I'd be looking at around 80% give or take a few quid. That ones probably slightly on the high side but a bit of haggling etc might get it a bit cheaper.

Thanks Buddy Bubs,

This is what l was originally expecting, depreciating rate wise. I too would have been open to an 18 plate, but the Rav4 changed design on the 19 versus the 18 plate, and l prefer the new design. The 18 plates are selling with a depreciation rate of about 33%, but of course with the older design. The 19 plates l'm looking at are 191's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

I’d buy a new one if you can find the cash as that 191 is going to lose a lot more than 6k over the next two years plus

Casati wrote: »
    I’d buy a new one if you can find the cash as that 191 is going to lose a lot more than 6k over the next two years plus

This is very true, and why I am stalling now with a 19 plate

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭jusvi2001

Same here. shopping around to buy a 2019 RAV4 SOL but the difference in price with a new one is not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I just bought a new one for the very same reason. No value in second-hand new model rav4 hybrids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement