Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Golfers.

• 05-03-2021 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,707 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure we have done something like this - but watching old golf stuff a bit over covid. But It has made me think of all the favorite golfers over the years. It can be an interesting topic - and some people have surprising answers. Some people can say someone - you seriously don't like. Then there is the obvious ones. Not sure how to lay it out - but post who you like. End with someone / a few you seriously don't like. This can be completely irrational at times - but we are in angry times :D

Irish Golfer

I love most of them and a massive fan of Shane - and in particular his Open win was the most joy I got out of golf in a long time. But it has to be Pádraig Harrington - was the full journey with him building his career. The years of loads of 2nd places - his 3 major wins were a genuine shock - I'll admit I cried at his first Open Win - people don't realize how bad majors were before him. Was nightmare stuff following Irish in majors before him.

European

Loved loads of them when I was younger from Jose Maria / Langer / Woosnam - guys that had big Irish Open links. They also had big roles in the Ryder Cup and that was a big deal in the 80s - and the start of it becoming a global event.

American

So many that are class - I'll admit certain Ryder Cups - most of the players I liked were on the US team. But outside of all time great below - got to be Phil Mickelson

All time Great

Hard to understate the impact of Tiger on the game and me personally - he actually made golf a sport you loved, important, relevant to non golfers - We all know there is Tiger the person and Tiger the golfer. But as a golfer - was an amazing journey with him. It was also a pleasure to be here to see all of it from start to fiinsh.

The Wild Card / Good Laugh

Got to love John Daly - what a player and character - and to make it better he actually won stuff - What would he have been like without the drink. What a natural.

Rest of World

I don't like anyone with a long putter - but Jaysus - Adam Scott is one serious class looking act on a golf course.

I think everyone always loved Ernie Ells - what a players and what a cool looking swing and mood on the course.

Not So Great

Well you have the obvious like Gary Player - he just seems to be everything wrong with golf. Then most of the English golfers like "Poults" , Rose, - I do like Faldo as a player , but as a character he is comical.
    Monty - I guess he has to go in here - but in fairness he is a character of sorts and was a savage European player.

I don't think I hate any golfer - Poults and his white stuff and clothing is close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Always went for Irish lads and like see them do well down year's

Tiger Woods made golf what it is today. He made the sport more accessible to people like me and made sport more diverse

Phil. For some you could only be a Tiger fan or Phil. But I admired most and I lived Watching Phil when in trouble. I would say the most naturally gifted golfer I saw.

When growing up I loved Payne Stewart. Something very likable about him. Died too young.

And Jasper Parnevik. I caddied for him in late 90s for a round in Ballybunion

Can't stand Gary Player. I mean he is a horrible human being. Monty and Faldo don't exactly make the Xmas card list either. But player was in different planet to arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1 on Player, i never warmed to him, I think he always had a chip on his shoulder (thats when he wasnt doing pushups during an interview of course!)

For me it was:
    Phil & Tiger and then Faldo & Nicklaus from the older guys.

None of the modern guys really do much for me, cant put my finger on why though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I am good friends with an English former tour pro and played in a few pro ams, lucky enough to meet/have drinks with a few pros 2005-2012, Justin Rose is a really nice guy, Paul Lawrie a complete Tommy Tanker, I heard many stories about Poulter that makes him even worse than you think. Hunter Mahon is sound.

Never met Harrington unfortunately, but seems a top man, I can’t stand Bubba Watson and Nick Faldo. I heard quite a few stories about Sergio and his antics during pro ams, ignorant child-like prick to play with.

So all in all. Rose is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭badabing106

Irish - Rory mcliroy. The most talented player this generation, and has the nicest golf swing to see in action

European - Seve ballesteros. Most influential golfer in European history. The passion, the glory,the charisma

All time great - Greg Norman. Golf's first superstar? He had it all. The game. The style. Such an aggressive style of play

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dav010 wrote: »
    I am good friends with an English former tour pro and played in a few pro ams, lucky enough to meet/have drinks with a few pros 2005-2012, Justin Rose is a really nice guy, Paul Lawrie a complete Tommy Tanker, I heard many stories about Poulter that makes him even worse than you think. Hunter Mahon is sound.

Never met Harrington unfortunately, but seems a top man, I can’t stand Bubba Watson and Nick Faldo. I heard quite a few stories about Sergio and his antics during pro ams, ignorant child-like prick to play with.

I would love hear these stories

Rose comes across as sound egg alright.most of English lads do TBF bar one or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭wonga77

Seen Tiger play at the local course along with David Duval, Payne Stewart, Mark O Meara, Stuart Appleby and a few more in the late 90s.
    Tiger was obviously the main attraction but Duval was mesmerizing, it wasn't too long after he had shot a 59 and his swing was effortless and like a laser. His demise was sad as he was unbelievable when at his peak. As a 16 year old it was the first time I had ever seen any pro's up close.

They were all nice fellas, interacting with the crowd and handing out gloves and so on. Payne Stewart left his mark on the village as he was pissed one or two nights. Got all their signatures on a scorecard.
    They were staying in a local hotel which has a bar which is separated in two. One side is for locals, the other is for a more golf/fishing crowd.
    Woods stood the whole bar a drink, when he passed into the locals side to go for a wizz, he got talking to a local guy who works as a digger driver with zero sporting interest. Completely oblivious, he says to Woods "Did you get your pint? Some wealthy yank is buying drinks for the place" to which Woods replied, "Not yet, I better head back out in case I miss it"
    They are still taking the piss out of him for it.

Of the current lot I really like Koepka, he's not everyone's cup of tea but I like his direct attitude.
    Cant stand Bubba or Reed.

Could watch Els and Seve all day long. Loved watching Couples in his pomp too

A good friend caddied on the European tour in the 90's. He said most players were as you would expect, some were dead sound and some were complete bellends. He was more interested in the after parties and the attention that came with it (before cameras and social media)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Harrington and Tiger

Noone else has ever come close to those two for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Apart from all the cringe sponsor posts on social media he does seem like a decent sort. He hooked a ball into the **** beside us at the Irish open a few years ago and was really pleasant and friendly with the few people dotted around the place, in a way that a lot of pros in that situation wouldn’t...even after he hit a terrible 2nd shot!

Surprised at what you said about Lawrie. He always comes across pretty well on tv.

David Howell ended up in the tented village on the Sunday night of the Ryder cup in 06 and made time for anyone who approached him, seemed really sound.

Favourite players outside of personality for me would be McIlroy, Speith, Harrington, Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,707 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was in a rush with first post - some great calls on Couples and Norman.

On the English lads - could be just a subliminal anti - English thing in me.

But they go around with a sort of arrogance of brilliance - but ultimately fail to deliver in majors. There is a little bit of the English soccer team in them.

I don't like Justin Rose - as it is a bit more of that from him. But in fairness, at least he is the first one in a while that actually grabbed the thing by the balls, worked very very hard and won a major. Fair play to him.

Other likeable English lads are - Donald , Fleetwood.

I personally like Westwood - but his failure in majors is another big problem.

Their failure since Faldo - is on an epic level.

Yes Sergio - is the biggest clown ever. But I was still happy he picked up his major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Irish Golfer

Harrington all the way. By his own admission not the most gifted or talented golfer, but no one could match him for hard work and determination. His 3 Majors wins are remarkable.

European

Big fan of Westwood, ultimate ball striker imo. Fantastic player just lacks that killer instinct. Casey and Sergio I could easily cheer on too.

American

Excluding Tiger I could watch Fred Couples all day long. Bubba is another one I would pull for.

All time Great

Tiger by a mile. Appreciate what those before him accomplished, but the competition was far less challenging for them. Tiger is probably the greatest sportsman of all time, not to mind golf.

Bryson is the king here. Love to watch him and listen to him. He’s stupid and extremely intelligent all in the one sentence. Love the way he pushes the boundaries and would love to see him succeed.

Rest of World

Some crackers here, Els, Goosen, Scott and Oosthuizen..
    Probably the 4 of the top 10 greatest swings ever.
    All likeable fellas too

Not So Great

Monty was a pain in the arse but was a fantastic player.

Hatton is a fine player, but don’t like his outbursts

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »

They were staying in a local hotel which has a bar which is separated in two. One side is for locals, the other is for a more golf/fishing crowd.
    Woods stood the whole bar a drink, when he passed into the locals side to go for a wizz, he got talking to a local guy who works as a digger driver with zero sporting interest. Completely oblivious, he says to Woods "Did you get your pint? Some wealthy yank is buying drinks for the place" to which Woods replied, "Not yet, I better head back out in case I miss it"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Heard the Tiger story, Mount Falcon by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This is the content I’m here for

Bryson is the king here. Love to watch him and listen to him. He’s stupid and extremely intelligent all in the one sentence. Love the way he pushes the boundaries and would love to see him succeed.

I wouldn't have been his biggest fan but I've seen a few behind the scenes and off course stuff on youtube and he comes across pretty well.
    His determination to get bigger and stronger and the science behind it is actually quite interesting when you hear him breaking it down.
    The knowledge some of these guys have on angles, speed and even things such as air humidity fascinate me. ( I must be a bit of a nerd)

Heard the Tiger story, Mount Falcon by any chance?

Waterville.
    ForeRight wrote: »
    This is the content I’m here for

There were actually a few good stories from their trip. Most of them returned in the following years. Payne Stewart was falling around the street after coming out of a disco. He fell in drinking with a few locals that almost killed him with pints. He had a real affection for the place, his death was a tragedy.
    In those days before mobile phones were a thing, guys could come and go relatively unnoticed. This place is sleepy enough, most of the locals wouldn't really be the golfing type and I think the golfers enjoyed the fact that nobody bothered them (now if you had stuck a GAA player in there, everyone would know him)

Meant to add to my original post, I somehow ended up following Robert Rock at the Irish Open in Killarney a few years ago. As the majority of the crowd were following Rory it was fairly easy to get up close to the other groups. Rock is a gentleman, very polite and a great swing to boot.

Was at this event with my father (RIP) - we were in heaven to actually see Tiger Woods - we knew the importance of it in our lives. He also was able to get locked as he didn't drive - my Dad (not Tiger).

Another Irish Golfer that deserves a proper mention is Christy O'Connor jnr (RIP). Great character and my first real Irish golfer celebrity encounter. In of all places, Deer Park (RIP). IN fairness to Christy he knew how to put on a show - and knew he was in show business - he was clever that way.

I really like Christy O'Connor's courses - and was a big deal to play his places when I was starting out on proper golf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

In no particular order, seve norman Tiger Padraig and monty for his swing which I love

I hate Tyrell Hatton. I actually wish bad results on every shot he hits. He is a absolute idiot on the course imo. Maybe he is grand of the course I don’t know.

Gary player, another complete plonker. Constantly going on about his gym and how fit he is and I’ve actually seem him in interviews going on about how he would kill all the modern players still in the gym as he is now. No Gary, no you wouldn’t. He’s fit obviously and fair play but my god I’m sick of hearing about it from him.

Love Padraig. I was nearly crying that time he won the Honda a few years ago out of nowhere. Just a very honest open fella.

Someone mentioned the modern English lads not being too likeable. Don’t know why but I always like to see Matt Fitzpatrick do well. He’s just like a bloke you went to school with.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Great thread.

Irish:

Padraig Harington, has to be Padraig. What joy he brought us, and a dead sound fella. Likeable all the way.

European:

Seve. The dash, adventure, fire, will to win. Always entertaining. Sad fall away, and poignant demise but always a special place in golf memory. A shout for Henrik Stenson, good sense of humour, good sport.

American:

Freddie Couples. That languid swing and calm demeanour. A lovely approach to golf.

Rest of world:

I'd go Ernie Els on that one. The big Easy

Wildcard:

Yeah, John Daly is a good call there. Who cares about gyms and all that sh1t.

All time great:

Golden Bear for me, though I can hardly remember seeing him in action.

Not so great:

Right now, the Michelin Man, Deschambeau. Is that where golf is going......

Love that story about Tiger and the pints. Only in Ireland. Gave me a well needed laugh in these dreary times.

This has been a welcome trip down memory lane. Reminded me I love golf!

• Advertisement

Lads - covid has a good bit to answer for - but you get great memories from this series.

HD tv - and You Tube has opened up a world of golf you never should have watched again - but hey.
    Great flashbacks. Jaysus - don't think I seen this one , looks class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Atm my favourite golfer has to be Tommy Fleetwood, just love his on and off course demeanour, My all time favourites is between 2.. Jack and Seve, no surnames needed to know who they are, had the pleasure of watching Jack play exhibition at Mount Julie and followed Seve around in many Irish opens. I've another favourite from years gone by and also had the pleasure of following him at Portmarnock in The Irish open and sadly passed away a few years ago is The American Hubert Green a true gentleman and was the Phil Mickelson of autographs back in the day as he'd stay for what seemed like hours to keep everyone happy. I actually got his golf ball after one of his rounds, a Uniroyal ball and you'd be showing your age if you remember those

Meant to add to my original post, I somehow ended up following Robert Rock at the Irish Open in Killarney a few years ago. As the majority of the crowd were following Rory it was fairly easy to get up close to the other groups. Rock is a gentleman, very polite and a great swing to boot.

My brother actually lives next to Robert Rock and both their sons play on same footie team, sound fella and watched him practice in his back garden on a few occasions when I was over there. He is a real gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Got into golf in the late 90s. Probably the Tiger effect, although funny enough, it was 1998 not 1997 that I remember really siting down to watch multiple events for many hours of the day, and Tiger went quiet that year.

I remember watching Payne Stewart being overtaken by Lee Janzen at the US Open at the Olympic Club and feeling desperately sorry for him (even though Janzen played incredibly well for the last 12 or 13 holes). Mostly I was mesmerised by his golf swing, and I must say, his win at Pinehurst the following year was and remains by far the most exciting major Ive ever witnessed. Of course, as I got a bit older and cynical, it dawned on me that Payne was as big a flag wavin', gun totin' , bleeds red white and blue, redneck yank as any of them, but I still love him. The stories from Waterville and Ballybunion Ive heard only add to the gra!

Freddy Couples was also a hard luck story that year, pipped by O Meara at Augusta. Just my favourite swing to watch by a mile, effortless power and rhythm. Everything about the guy was and is made for a long career in golf, the talent, the attitude. Just a shame his back let him down so often.

As regards nice guys, David Howell was described as an absolute gent by my brother who worked the locker room in Carton the year he lost to Stephen Dodd in a playoff for the Irish Open. He also mentioned Christina Kim the year the Solheim was in Killeen Castle and even gave Paula Creamer an endorsement for her humility; having been thrashed in the singles, she got smashed at Dunboyne hotel during the after party and started shrieking "6 and 5 BABY!!" at the top of her voice. Hard to believe she's so universally disliked having heard that.
    Harrington must be one of the nicest guys in golf. Never hear a bad story about him, effortlessly humble and always shows class, win or lose.

But my 2 all time favourites? Davis Love III and Colin Montgomerie.
    The former reminds me a lot of an American Harrington, especially in the way he handled defeat. I remember he 3 putted 18 to miss a playoff by a shot in the 1996 US Open. He was clearly utterly devastated but said all the right things in the interview afterwards. As successful as he was, given the talent he had, he was as much an underachiever as many refer to Harro as an overachiever. Such a powerful, elegent swing, he really should have won more than he did. Dodgy neck didnt help I suppose.

Then there's Monty. A pompous, elitist, spoilt rotten narcissist if ever there was one, but was always the guy I hated to love in golf. An amazing, unique and incredibly repetitive swing; outside of Tiger, probably the best iron player in his prime Ive ever watched. And yet, this very facet failed him so catastrophically in 06 when he took 6 on 18 to throw away the US Open, the closest Ive ever come to crying after watching a golf tournament. As bad as that was, his play in the Ryder Cup was exhilarating. He was a giant in 99 and 02 in particular, and rewatching footage from those events, youd never believe he'd end his career not only without a major but without a win at all on the PGA Tour. An unfailing #'*$hole in his prime, he has mellowed a bit since he turned 50, making him a sentimental favourite nowadays even to many of his biggest critics from back in the day.

I will say however that he is a terrible commentator. Nearly as bad as Faldo.

Not sure we have done something like this - but watching old golf stuff a bit over covid. But It has made me think of all the favorite golfers over the years. It can be an interesting topic - and some people have surprising answers. Some people can say someone - you seriously don't like. Then there is the obvious ones. Not sure how to lay it out - but post who you like. End with someone / a few you seriously don't like. This can be completely irrational at times - but we are in angry times :D

Irish Golfer

I love most of them and a massive fan of Shane - and in particular his Open win was the most joy I got out of golf in a long time. But it has to be Pádraig Harrington - was the full journey with him building his career. The years of loads of 2nd places - his 3 major wins were a genuine shock - I'll admit I cried at his first Open Win - people don't realize how bad majors were before him. Was nightmare stuff following Irish in majors before him.

European

Loved loads of them when I was younger from Jose Maria / Langer / Woosnam - guys that had big Irish Open links. They also had big roles in the Ryder Cup and that was a big deal in the 80s - and the start of it becoming a global event.

American

So many that are class - I'll admit certain Ryder Cups - most of the players I liked were on the US team. But outside of all time great below - got to be Phil Mickelson

All time Great

Hard to understate the impact of Tiger on the game and me personally - he actually made golf a sport you loved, important, relevant to non golfers - We all know there is Tiger the person and Tiger the golfer. But as a golfer - was an amazing journey with him. It was also a pleasure to be here to see all of it from start to fiinsh.

Got to love John Daly - what a player and character - and to make it better he actually won stuff - What would he have been like without the drink. What a natural.

Rest of World

I don't like anyone with a long putter - but Jaysus - Adam Scott is one serious class looking act on a golf course.

I think everyone always loved Ernie Ells - what a players and what a cool looking swing and mood on the course.

Not So Great

Well you have the obvious like Gary Player - he just seems to be everything wrong with golf. Then most of the English golfers like "Poults" , Rose, - I do like Faldo as a player , but as a character he is comical.
    Monty - I guess he has to go in here - but in fairness he is a character of sorts and was a savage European player.

I don't think I hate any golfer - Poults and his white stuff and clothing is close.

Jaysus, Big JD, well I have the stories of stories about him, a few years back my mate who's wife's family that they were visiting in Caherciveen went out on the Skelligs rock trip and James (my mate) had arranged a game in Waterville as a treat to himself and phoned up the club to book in, The pro said it would be x amount and that he'd pair him up with someone as he was a single so anyway he was on the putting green and his tee time had passed and no show from any potential playing partners when this guy comes out and asks if he is waiting for someone or would he mind if he and his mate joined him for a game.. With no one to play with my buddy says great no bother to which this guy says OK I'll get my playing partner and we'll get going. The guy comes out to the putting green and introduces his partner, yes the big JD, my mate was lost for words and said he was shaking on the 1st Tee as JD said to take the honor as he'd like to earn it. He said that JD is so ordinary not aloof or full of himself and just said he was in Ireland for r&r and he'd play a few golf courses on his trip, anyway after the game my mate was treated to a free bar and when he said he'd a dinner date with the wife and in laws JD told him to tell them to meet us at a certain restaurant and they all headed there and JD joined them and picked up the tab.. I'll get my mate in one of the boards outings to tell the story in full but basically to say that JD is a top top guy

Waterville.

Stayed in Mount Falcon a couple of years ago and heard same thing, bought a drink for the bar, some didn’t know who he was.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Jaysus, Big JD, well I have the stories of stories about him, a few years back my mate who's wife's family that they were visiting in Caherciveen went out on the Skelligs rock trip and James (my mate) had arranged a game in Waterville as a treat to himself and phoned up the club to book in, The pro said it would be x amount and that he'd pair him up with someone as he was a single so anyway he was on the putting green and his tee time had passed and no show from any potential playing partners when this guy comes out and asks if he is waiting for someone or would he mind if he and his mate joined him for a game.. With no one to play with my buddy says great no bother to which this guy says OK I'll get my playing partner and we'll get going. The guy comes out to the putting green and introduces his partner, yes the big JD, my mate was lost for words and said he was shaking on the 1st Tee as JD said to take the honor as he'd like to earn it. He said that JD is so ordinary not aloof or full of himself and just said he was in Ireland for r&r and he'd play a few golf courses on his trip, anyway after the game my mate was treated to a free bar and when he said he'd a dinner date with the wife and in laws JD told him to tell them to meet us at a certain restaurant and they all headed there and JD joined them and picked up the tab.. I'll get my mate in one of the boards outings to tell the story in full but basically to say that JD is a top top guy

Keep the stories coming I absolutely love this. I don’t want any bad stories though only ones about how sound people can be.

Golfhead65 wrote: »

Now that was worth filming :D

Class story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lawred2 wrote: »
    Harrington and Tiger

Noone else has ever come close to those two for me

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Knew some lads that played the JP in Adare with Micael Campbell, said you could't of met a nicer person..

Knew others that played with a more well known 'Senior' Irish player (no names) pain in the hole..

Advertisement