Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch repair North Dublin during COVID

• 04-03-2021 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi all, i can't find a watch repairs sticky or dedicated forum on here, and from searching past threads they are quite old.

My Guess watch I bought from H Samuel in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre just over 2 years ago has stopped working - most presumably battery.

It is only worth €200 or so, so I'm just looking for a local jeweller or repair shop in D15 area that will do the basics and get it going again.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Hi all, i can't find a watch repairs sticky or dedicated forum on here, and from searching past threads they are quite old.

My Guess watch I bought from H Samuel in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre just over 2 years ago has stopped working - most presumably battery.

It is only worth €200 or so, so I'm just looking for a local jeweller or repair shop in D15 area that will do the basics and get it going again.

Thanks in advance.

Crystal Jewelers in the Blanchardstown Centre is good, if it is just a battery they should be able to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Don't see how they'd be open for business though? I think you should give it a go yourself - unless it has a screw case back you don't need any special tools to DIY.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Don't see how they'd be open for business though? I think you should give it a go yourself - unless it has a screw case back you don't need any special tools to DIY.

I think they are allowed to open at the moment as watch repair is an essential service.

Google Services says they are open till 21:00, but I doubt that.

It would be worth a phone call (01) 822 2674, if you are considering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

T-Maxx wrote: »

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/1111647/guess+ladies%27+blue+nylon+strap+watch/

Where would I buy a battery and know it's the correct one for it? Happy to give it a go but something I've never done.

Image of the back below - I'm not sure how that comes off

545877.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17glLJIQnok_-pBk4KJjNGjVUcpO-elmS/view?usp=sharing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you've not done that kinda thing before I'd personally not try it now. You'll require a tool to get that back off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Have checked via the model number, but can't see what the movement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you've not done that kinda thing before I'd personally not try it now. You'll require a tool to get that back off.

Squished sticky ball works nine times out of ten without damaging if it doesn't.

Pretty sure jewellers are not an essential service in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

saccades wrote: »
    Pretty sure jewellers are not an essential service in any way shape or form.

Yeah, none open around here that I've seen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Thanks in advance.

I am NOT a watchmaker or repairer but i did run a jewelery store in my youth.
    I do have a case opener for my own watches, and i am located in Dublin 15 as well.

If you want to drop off & leave with me for a day or two i will try to sort it out.
    Only cost will be the price of the battery.

No guarantees though.

Shoe repair, keycutter places often do watch batteries and many of them are open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Just to add, anyone opening the case should be replacing the gasket to maintain waterproofing/resistance.
    That requires a stock of gaskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Was passing Duggans in Fairview yesterday and noticed the shutter was partly open so he may be taking in repairs.

Advertisement