Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Today was a very cold day and very grey. We got a glimpse of spring for a few days that’s disappeared again and we’re back to the grey slate and I’m sure the wind and rain not far away now either.

Yes, I call this fools spring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Today was a very cold day and very grey. We got a glimpse of spring for a few days that’s disappeared again and we’re back to the grey slate and I’m sure the wind and rain not far away now either.

Yes, it’s best not to wish the winter away. As we all know on the island if we have a good spring summer is appalling.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Snow here in March is quite common. Plenty of it in 2018 at the start and again on Saint Patricks day. 2013 again had plenty of snow in March but it was melting quickly past 9am. I remember during the 2000's getting snow during March which did not materialize during the 'winter months'. Even last 'winter' didnt produce a single flake of snow but we managed to scrap a few flakes at one stage last March for a few minutes and that was it for 2020 in terms of snow in his area.

There really isn't much of a difference between Northern Ireland and the republic in terms of snow most of the time. Could say the same about Wales and south-west England as well. The entire island is generally mild and under the influence of the Atlantic almost all the time. Northern Ireland is one of the milder parts of the UK between November and March for that reason, it's further west than the majority of the UK mainland with the exception of the far south-western tip of England and the Scottish islands. Northern Ireland can do better if there is a north/south divide in terms of temperature but when it comes to the east/west splits, then NI usually ends up on the mild side same as the republic.

Scotland and north-east England is where you start to notice more snow at low levels compared to Ireland, especially when it comes to frontal snow and they get the easterlies more often than Ireland.

I don’t believe I ever said that it doesn’t snow in the ROI in March. My point was that we DO often end up getting snow when the rest of the island doesn’t get snow, just like this morning.

You say there is very little difference. If you look at the charts you can see that there is. Malin Head which is at the immediate coast has far more snow days than anywhere in ROI. I am sure NI stations would be considerably greater than that again.

Shannon only averages 9.9 days which is paltry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I don’t believe I ever said that it doesn’t snow in the ROI in March. My point was that we DO often end up getting snow when the rest of the island doesn’t get snow, just like this morning.

You say there is very little difference. If you look at the charts you can see that there is. Malin Head which is at the immediate coast has far more snow days than anywhere in ROI. I am sure NI stations would be considerably greater than that again.

Shannon only averages 9.9 days which is paltry!

Shannon is low lying and for the west of Ireland, very sheltered. I am not sure why you are comparing frequency of high ground snow in the North to low lying snow in the 'south'. Not a fair comparison.

If we look at this map from the UK Met Office, we see that low lying locations in Northern Ireland hardly do any better in the number of days with lying snow in an average year than in most lower lying regions of the Republic.

metofficegovuk%3Axsmall

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

We must have had this discussion 500 times already this winter. Jesus move on people.

• Advertisement

Also NQP, why do you keep making a distinction between Northern Ireland and the 'RoI'? Fair enough, two separate political entities and all of that, but for us geographic nuts, we are all the one. Ireland is still Ireland. The North no less so than the Republic.

New Moon

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    We must have had this discussion 500 times already this winter. Jesus move on people.
    No, not this particular one.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

I for one am really enjoying this weather, nice and dry and cool, there is a kind of haze aswell which gives the place a different look. I'm not bothered about lack of sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Pangea wrote: »
    I for one am really enjoying this weather, nice and dry and cool, there is a kind of haze aswell which gives the place a different look. I'm not bothered about lack of sunlight.

Me too, I can't believe anyone is complaining about a decent spell of dry weather after weeks of rain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm enjoying this spell of weather but I can see why others wouldn't - it's been wall to wall cloud since the start of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

While these endless days of cloud are never great, they are more acceptable in early March compared to June, July and August. Hopefully we get all the cloud now followed by what looks like more westerlies and unsettled zonality after this weekend rather than being stuck in this rut throughout summer 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We had beautiful weather last week for a few days, did we not?
    Today was nice in the evening, it brightened up a bit. I like this weather and will take this calm dry stuff over the usual windy rainy nonsense.

Soundings are very good for low level snow in Northern Ireland, it’s a pity there is no precipitation.

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/sondage_display.php?id=3918&map=2&date=1614898800&map2=2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cloudy morning in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

It looks like another cloudy day. The memory of the 4 hours of sun we got nearly 10 days ago is a distant past. The ground is still wet but slowly, ever so slowly drying.

How the Scandinavians and the like put up with the lack of sunlight I know not. Vitamin D supplements are taken daily in this household.

The only sign of Spring is the daffodils in bloom and the toads moving en mass to breeding grounds.
    Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bright start in the West......the lawn may be cut yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another cold, dull weather in Dublin but nice and dry so I don't mind.

It would be nice if we got some sun for the weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Quite a cold day. Only 3c at 200 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Milder and brighter today here just outside Castlebar. Nice afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Milder and brighter today here just outside Castlebar. Nice afternoon

Yeah better day here in Kerry today, partial cloud with sun getting through, 10.0C, SE breeze just keeping it a bit cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Has brightened up in D5, lovely day now, especially when you think of how bad March can be.

Is anyone else’s grass still brown? It’s bone dry here again similar to the easterly, roads are white again.

Grass round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Grass round here.

Looks a normal colour for hilly areas.

Don’t insult my intelligence Pad. That’s not true, I live here and so know what the normal colour is. Otherwise I wouldn't have raised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looks a normal colour for hilly areas.

Looks like normal Irish grass to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a class week of weather. It's bone dry. Cut the lawn today.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

That grass is normal enough colour. Its early March not late April. Growth a little behind average but nothing major.

However 4th successive cloudy day in Sligo with nearly zero sun. I prefer a day of sunshine and showers. I love weather but I hate dull boring weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wonder will there be a thread created for next Tue/Wed potential wind and rain event?

Advertisement