Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Caspero wrote: »
    Great news, thanks for sharing Herald.

That's the H122-373 right? Am I right in thinking that router
    • Has Wifi 6 (IEEE 802.11ax)
    • Has no external antenna ports?

Yeah thats the one, here's the link for it from the Co. I bought it from,

https://www.sotel.de/en/Handy-Tablet/Surfsticks-MiFi/Telekom-Huawei-5G-CPE-Pro2-white-0050.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvvKBBhCXARIsACTePW_SfqL8h0UhDJepZ_K51paYuPbTdBLsWchuYz8TI5IvvZyTr0D0o9IaAv7PEALw_wcB&cur=0

But its available from various online retailers, Amazon etc.

It doesn't have external antennae ports, my previous Router, the B618, did
    but its hard to know if they actually improve things, or if its a sort of placebo effect.

As i've only one 5g sim/plan at the moment, and I need to keep that in a phone for the next few months, I'm using the 5G CPE on 4G at the moment, speeds are same as the B618 with antennae.

It has WiFi 6, but its not something I'm focused on at the moment, and my stuff and my girlfriends, with the exception of Mobile Phones, may not support it. If we have the need to stream a number of 8k streams simultaneously and require bandwith up to 6Gbp/s then that might change!!

Overall though, I'm happy that it works, and that Three are not discriminating!!

Any joy your end with seeing 5G signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

I bought a CPE Pro (1, not 2) a while back. Might've been a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

but its hard to know if they actually improve things, or if its a sort of placebo effect.

External antennas will help when signal is the limiting factor, for many the limiting factor is network contention and not signal so itll have no impact.

Nuphor wrote: »
    I bought a CPE Pro (1, not 2) a while back. Might've been a mistake!

Have you tried a sim with 5g in it?

I was intending to buy that one, but went with the Pro 2 because theoretical download was 3.6Gbs versus 1.8Gbs I think? So wanted future proofing there and with better Carrier Agregation.

I'd imagine yours should work though? As its non branded, as is mine?

ED E wrote: »
    External antennas will help when signal is the limiting factor, for many the limiting factor is network contention and not signal so itll have no impact.

Yeah, but I'd imagine that applies to Antennae used in an external setting( bolted on the exterior, high up, etc), where as mine were the €15/€20 plastic box and suction cups on a window setup.

The thing I also noticed was that the sockets on the router(t9) were pretty flimsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 themixermac

So I got a chance earlier to try the €20 plus €5 addon 5g sim card in the Huawei 5g cpe2.
    Stuck the card in, gave it about thirty seconds and I got green lights in all three display indicators (telling me I had 5g signal).

So I plugged in an ethernet cable to my Nvidia Sheild, and at the same time, connected a laptop wirelessly from about 10 feet away.

Management page showed me I had 5g download and 4g upload (which is par for the course for 5G NSA)

Speeds on the shield wired were 800Mb/s download and 70Mb/s upload.

Speeds on wireless were about 470-640 Download.

So, the 3 PAYG sim in a 5G router works, and you don't have to buy the router from 3.

Great to see this working in the way you describe. I am currently on a 3 unlimited Sim only 4G plan using a router and am getting ok speeds. If I get a 5G add-on for this new router do they upgrade my current sim or send out a new one.

Great to see this working in the way you describe. I am currently on a 3 unlimited Sim only 4G plan using a router and am getting ok speeds. If I get a 5G add-on for this new router do they upgrade my current sim or send out a new one.

No, the Sim I'm using is a couple of years old. You have to change your plan though, if you're using the old €20 deal, you have to sign up for the new €20 deal, this means you lose the ability to save your credit and use it to buy stuff.

You then just pay an extra €5 on top for the 5G addon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

That's great news, I purchased the 5G Booster add-on again there to check if it'll work in the CPE Pro 1 but unfortunately I am still getting 4G speeds (5G indicator light turned on after activating add-on). Perhaps it only works on the CPE Pro 2 models currently as that's what Three are using for their 5G broadband plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Yeah thats the one, here's the link for it from the Co. I bought it from,

https://www.sotel.de/en/Handy-Tablet/Surfsticks-MiFi/Telekom-Huawei-5G-CPE-Pro2-white-0050.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvvKBBhCXARIsACTePW_SfqL8h0UhDJepZ_K51paYuPbTdBLsWchuYz8TI5IvvZyTr0D0o9IaAv7PEALw_wcB&cur=0

But its available from various online retailers, Amazon etc.

As i've only one 5g sim/plan at the moment, and I need to keep that in a phone for the next few months, I'm using the 5G CPE on 4G at the moment, speeds are same as the B618 with antennae.

It has WiFi 6, but its not something I'm focused on at the moment, and my stuff and my girlfriends, with the exception of Mobile Phones, may not support it. If we have the need to stream a number of 8k streams simultaneously and require bandwith up to 6Gbp/s then that might change!!

Overall though, I'm happy that it works, and that Three are not discriminating!!

Any joy your end with seeing 5G signal?

As a comparison for your location, what did are you getting with 4g?

ArrBee wrote: »
    As a comparison for your location, what did are you getting with 4g?

Speeds improved dramatically about 18 months ago, when Three installed a new mast within a few hundred yards from me. I figured that was related to 5G, as 5G NSA uses 4g for upload. I'm getting 200-300Mbs, generally doesn't drop below 160Mbs.

• Advertisement

weeb wrote: »
    That's great news, I purchased the 5G Booster add-on again there to check if it'll work in the CPE Pro 1 but unfortunately I am still getting 4G speeds (5G indicator light turned on after activating add-on). Perhaps it only works on the CPE Pro 2 models currently as that's what Three are using for their 5G broadband plans.

Hmmm, I wonder would there be a software update?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

weeb wrote: »

Speed is no indicator. You can get 20Mb on 3G while getting 3Mb on 4G. If a tower has 200Mb back to core then it'll give the same speeds on both RATs

Login to the device to see which RAT it's using.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The problem is that 5g can track people’s thoughts. Be careful out there!...only joking, I’m not that crazy!

ED E wrote: »
    Speed is no indicator. You can get 20Mb on 3G while getting 3Mb on 4G. If a tower has 200Mb back to core then it'll give the same speeds on both RATs

The speeds I were getting were the exact same as before I bought the add-on. Using the optimise location feature it showed that there was 0% 5G connectivity, despite the homepage showing full 5G signal. Testing it outdoors yielded the same results. This is exactly what it does when 5G access is blocked by Three.

Edit: it is running the latest firmware Herald (v10.0.5.1).

Have you tried a sim with 5g in it?

I was intending to buy that one, but went with the Pro 2 because theoretical download was 3.6Gbs versus 1.8Gbs I think? So wanted future proofing there and with better Carrier Agregation.

I'd imagine yours should work though? As its non branded, as is mine?

Yeah, have tried - no luck with the CPE1. That said, this could actually because of signal or the maps being inaccurate too, mind. Hard to tell.

poisonated wrote: »
    The problem is that 5g can track people’s thoughts. Be careful out there!...only joking, I’m not that crazy!

It can track your thoughts before you even think them, Bill Gates made this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If I can get a decent 5G signal, Bill is welcome to my thoughts.

Nuphor wrote: »
    Yeah, have tried - no luck with the CPE1. That said, this could actually because of signal or the maps being inaccurate too, mind. Hard to tell.

Mine was like this when I got the router in November. 3's map was telling me I had 5G coverage, however it was February when I noticed 5G on my phone.

I've a house down the country thats covered by 5G going by their map, but a mate of mine can't get 4G+ there most of the time.It's near a primary route, so I'd imagine it will eventually get it, but three's maps are way off the mark at the moment.

nPerf is a good app to use to see if anyone has picked up 5g in your locale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi guys.

I had been a Three prepay customer since January of this year. I was with eir before I switched to Three. I live in Blackrock in Dublin. And let me tell you; my first impressions of Three's prepay broadband to date is that the performance of it to date has been excellent. It's performs so much better than eir's broadband in recent times. It's just the speed of the connection when I am playing videos on Youtube has been the big indicator for me here. I am able to stream 1080p videos in HD when I am using Three's broadband without any issue. When I did it with Eir; it was a struggle to do it because it just stopped playing Youtube unless I had it playing to a lower resolution. I can give three words for Three's broadband in my situation and they are it just works. With Eir; it just doesn't.

To give some examples; I have been playing some music videos, video game streams & video podcasts using Three's broadband. I had no issue playing them at all. The experience for me has been very stable which has made me very happy to stick with this service. OTOH; when I used Eir's broadband; that experience is degraded when I have to lower resolution on the Youtube videos to 720p, 480p or in some cases down to 360p. It's just that the amount of recent outages that I have had with Eir have been a joke during the pandemic. At one stage I had paid for 4 30 day broadband passes from Eir 4 times in a row. They all went out after lasting for one day each. I just couldn't understand how that happened to me. What would you say to me in this situation. Have I made the correct decision to stick with Three? With all of the stories that have been recovered about Eir recently here by the media. Eir's customer reputation being highlighted by Prime Time among the public is just embarrassing & now in tatters. I couldn't believe the amount of complaints that has been given to Eir from the Comreg figures. It's just been alarming how they have performed so badly during these times with the Irish public while in a major pandemic.

I than made the switchover to Three in late January with a new 4G Nokia 5.3 smartphone & Huawei 5576-322 router.

Bear in mind though; I had recently installed an update to get rid of Adobe Flash Player on my laptop. I don't know if that is a factor in my case with my recent playback performance with Youtube on my laptop or is it just Three's infrastructure is in a much better state than what other operators can provide at the current time? I did install it from Windows Update when I used Three's broadband over 2 weeks ago.

I had checked the Speedtest app recently on my phone & it said that Three's 5G broadband is available in my area. On the app; it said to me that the 5G signal from Three was able to cover home addresses from the Blackrock by-pass all the way up to Carysfort Avenue & then from St Augustine's School to Fleurville Road on Annaville Terrace. Three's 5G signal does pass over my home address which is good news. But I can't celebrate just yet though as I have hit a bit of a stumbling block. I have checked Three's coverage checker for 5G coverage on their website earlier tonight. It said that there is 5G no available in my area yet. Could that be true in my case even though as I have not officially checked this with a Three retail store agent yet. My nearest Three retail store is in Dún Laoghaire.

I have been considering to switch to the Three billpay Sim only contract for €30 a month. But the 5G broadband may be much better for me in my case if it's officially available to me in my locality. When I'm downloading feature updates for Windows 10. It can be a bit of a pain because it takes several hours to do it on a 4G dongle plugged into a laptop. The speed from the Eir dongle is just so slow as it takes about several hours up to one day to do it. I need something much faster to meet my needs. I currently have the 30GB prepay broadband for 28 days at the moment. But that will change once I get vaccinated to prevent Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

So i went to the area which i picked up 5g on my phone a while back and brought my cpe pro 5g router suprisingly enough all the lights lit up and from the admin page it shows it has 5g connectivity so thats a plus.The download speeds were not great but on on a positive side at least it works.

• Advertisement

Assuming that is a Huawei CPE Pro 1 model, that will not actually establish a connection over 5G. It will detect 5G coverage but Three will restrict it from using its 5G network. This is what Nuphor and I have experienced also.

Have a return organised (Amazon were nice about it) for the CPE1 I bought a few months back, to swap for CPE2. Might have better luck, let you all know how it works out.

Update: No joy, still restricted. Shows 5g/4g signal. I am guessing there isn't actual 5G coverage here.

So I bought a three SIM and topped it up with a 5g fiver, and bunged it in the Huawei 5g CPE Pro 2 Router and I've been using it since the weekend for basically everything, work stuff, streaming Prime, Mubi, Disney, Youtube, Izzy Streams, History Hit, Magellan, Curiositystream, my two IPTV subs on Tivimate, and a couple of well known dodgy apps.

The speed and ping and jitter are pretty OK, and fairly consistent, Download 500Mbps to 700Mbps during the day, 700Mbps to 800Mbps late night, early morning. Upload 70-90 Mbps most of the time, ping about 6/7 ms, jitter about 5ms.

One slight issue I've found though, is that from time to time, the 5g SIM loses connection for a split second, this was happening a lot on Monday night, the frequency was about every 37/38 minutes, at the moment it's about every four hours and seems to be decreasing in frequency.

It seems specific to the 5g connection as opposed to 4G, as when I had the 4G only sim in, there was no obvious dropped connection. Although I'm aware that this does happen on 4G, to me it seemed irrelevant, it happened once in 4/5 days, happened in the middle of the night, or happened so infrequently as to not matter.

However this break in connection is frustrating, you wouldn't notice it on Youtube or Prime, however with the IPTV service it takes a while to get a connection back up with the server, maybe 30 seconds to a minute, also with my dodgy app it cuts off whatever is playing mid programme and causes issues when trying to reconnect.

I've tried switching off Data roaming, and also scheduled all updates for 3.00am to 5.00am, so not sure if this is having a positive effect or not.

Haven't had to do a zoom or teams meeting this week, so can't comment on how it affects those, but if it does, then it'd be an issue for me.

As I mentioned previously, the wired connection is very discernably faster than wifi, probably 150-170 Mbps faster on wired. I'm conscious of the need for more space for 5G antennae, and this is understandable on a phone, but I'd imagine a Router should be big enough to cater for lots of antennae space for both 5G and Wifi, I am toying with the idea of plugging in some form of Wifi access point, haven't researched it enough yet though.

Overall, I'm happy enough with it, I can still remember back to 2013 or 2014, when a 3 Mifi dongle(or tethering on a Phone) here would be lucky to get you 2/3Mbps!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I know its early days yet in regards to 5G Routers but does anyone know of any 5g Sim routers coming out soon thats cheaper than the HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro/Pro2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I looked at the 5G Checker on 3's website recently. It doesn't say that it's available for my address yet.

It gives me the option of SIMO & 4G unlimited broadband for my address.

Is the 3 5G Coverage Checker an accurate way to check if it's available for your address as opposed to going into a 3 retail store to get any further clarification from staff? I had been looking up some posts from the 3 Community forum via the My3 app recently. I read posts from some 3 customers who were asking about 5G coverage for their home address. They were getting information from 3 staff online that it wasn't available for them yet.

Also; are 3 customers required to purchase a 5G phone to get the router self-installed in their house?

I would like to use it for a laptop as my Nokia 5.3 phone is 4G.

I looked at the 5G Checker on 3's website recently. It doesn't say that it's available for my address yet.

It gives me the option of SIMO & 4G unlimited broadband for my address.

Is the 3 5G Coverage Checker an accurate way to check if it's available for your address as opposed to going into a 3 retail store to get any further clarification from staff? I had been looking up some posts from the 3 Community forum via the My3 app recently. I read posts from some 3 customers who were asking about 5G coverage for their home address. They were getting information from 3 staff online that it wasn't available for them yet.

Also; are 3 customers required to purchase a 5G phone to get the router self-installed in their house?

I would like to use it for a laptop as my Nokia 5.3 phone is 4G.

The coverage checker isn't accurate, use the nPerf app, but you'll need a 5G phone and 5G addon.

I've got 5G but I'm still coming up on the Coverage checker as not having it.

3 Staff in the shops haven't a clue. If they do try to check for you, they'll use the coverage checker.

Getting 3 4g/5g BB is completely unrelated to your Phone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check coverage here https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/
    Doesn't list 5G but it's on the same masts so similar lines of sight.

Check who has masts near places you go to here https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

I know this is a 3 thread but given it's fairly active I thought I'd ask here: anyone had any luck using these routers with an Eir 5g bill-pay package (which you can get at 19.99 for the first 12 months SIM-only )?

I can't get 5g on three here with my handset but I can get 5g with an Eir SIM. I'm pretty sure I won't get 5g on Three with a router either given I've taken a good walk towards the mast with a handset and don't get any 5g signal outdoors even after going a few km.

120gb fair usage on the Eir plan though (source)...they say they will throttle after that. 120gb is not a lot but do they enforce it?

Caspero wrote: »
    I know this is a 3 thread but given it's fairly active I thought I'd ask here: anyone had any luck using these routers with an Eir 5g bill-pay package (which you can get at 19.99 for the first 12 months SIM-only )?

I can't get 5g on three here with my handset but I can get 5g with an Eir SIM. I'm pretty sure I won't get 5g on Three with a router either given I've taken a good walk towards the mast with a handset and don't get any 5g signal outdoors even after going a few km.

120gb fair usage on the Eir plan though (source)...they say they will throttle after that. 120gb is not a lot but do they enforce it?

GOMO seem to be changing prices and may be offering 5g in their new plans after Mar 31, might be worth trying if they do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Highest speed ive gotten in Cork so far upload has increased a lot over last couple of months!

Advertisement