Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NathanB98

I’m pretty nervous about whether or not I’ll get an offer. By my reckoning, I have 43 points. UCD last year was 42, so I’m worried that it’ll go up. I can’t seem to find the points for previous years anywhere, does anyone know where I can find them? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭starstothesun

NathanB98 wrote: »
    I’m pretty nervous about whether or not I’ll get an offer. By my reckoning, I have 43 points. UCD last year was 42, so I’m worried that it’ll go up. I can’t seem to find the points for previous years anywhere, does anyone know where I can find them? Thanks!

Attached is the 2019 round 2 points. Just to note those with the * mark were not all offered places. As far as i am aware if candidates are on equal points it’s random/lottery type selection. Have you applied for Trinity, DCU or Hibernia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 086211080322

Has anyone completed the PME languages interview in UL or in any other college ? I have my interview this week and feel like I am going in blind.

Has anyone completed the PME languages interview in UL or in any other college ? I have my interview this week and feel like I am going in blind.

Have you completed Interview yet? was there many general questions or were they all language specific? I’m Business and Accounting - awaiting interview date

DCU PME PP offers are out today. Delighted to have got a place for Sept 2021. Best of luck to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JGrey1426

Congratulations, I have been also! Have you been able to accept and pay your deposit? I get an error when I do that, do you also need to fill out the teaching council form for your particular subject?

JGrey1426 wrote: »
    Congratulations, I have been also! Have you been able to accept and pay your deposit? I get an error when I do that, do you also need to fill out the teaching council form for your particular subject?

Congrats to you too! There seems to be a problem accessing to pay the deposit, i’m sure it will be rectified in a day or two. Yeah, i think we will have to refill out the forms for the teaching council as they have different criteria for 2023 onwards (that’s when we will be finished the course) Suppose easier complete the forms now and not have to worry about credits etc down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Kirby Puckett

The PAC offers are coming out "from tomorrow". So best of luck to everyone who applied to NUIG, UCC, UCD or NUIM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is the PME still 12 and a half thousand? did mine in maynooth , found it fairly handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Dickie10 wrote: »
    is the PME still 12 and a half thousand? did mine in maynooth , found it fairly handy.

Depends on where you're doing it. Hibernia is €15,000 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Been thinking of applying for the PME for a long time and think the time is right now. Working in marketing makes me want to jump out the top window!

I need to do my Irish though. I have an Ordinary B from 2007. So hopefully can do the honours then this year.

Considering Hibernia or Froebel in Maynooth as Im in West Wicklow/Kildare. Are there any other PME's other than Hibernia that arent full time?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BettyBlue22

Hibernia is full-time. It's just more flexible than the traditional universities because the hours are at night and weekends. You are still doing the full PME course over two years.

Any chance of a former PME student selling a second hand copy of Teaching Today by Geoff Petty?

I have a quick question for anyone starting a PME. Did you get a second invitation to Garda Vetting recently? I got one this evening and I have no idea why. I have already been through this entire process and wasn't told of any issues. Why would they ask me to do it all again? I will call them in the morning but until then - any ideas?

@Kirby Puckett Sorry, I'm unsure what you mean by second invitation?

Your college will send you the initial invite, you have to complete some details and submit these and then the invite will come from the Garda Vetting Bureau.

If you got that invite twice, then yes, that's odd, the bureau should be able to sort that out for you.

I got the original invitation in July, signed and uploaded the documentation and got the disclosure a few weeks later.

Then, a few days ago, I got a slight variation on the original invitation urging me to sort out vetting before Teaching Practice. Apparently it's some sort of glitch relating to registration and not, as I had assumed, a problem with my vetting personally.

Ah, that makes more sense, sorry for my confusion, I'm glad it's all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MöbiusStriptease

Hi! I'm a Spanish student of mathematics that's interested in the PME's programme. I stumbled upon this forum while seeking different views about the master and the situation in Ireland. I know that the prospects of renting a cheap room are quite bleak (compared to my country) and that the fees are a big investment. Been talking too to some unis but I'm not still sure about what to do...

So, basically: are there many job positions as mathematics teacher in Ireland? And in Europe? Is it a mad move to study in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MS 19

Hi :) Wondering if anyone can help me out!

I have the fundamental exams in ACCA passed and have the ACCA diploma in accounting and business, does anyone know if this lets me teach business or do you need the full ACCA qualification? and how do you fill out the student declaration form using the ACCA qualification?

If that ACCA qualification doesn't allow Business, I have accounting as a qualifying subject for teaching and really want to try add on business (without going back to do 4 years) has anyone done this and could maybe share the route they took as I am finding it really hard to get information seems to be impossible to get this information.

There is a noticeable shortage of Maths teachers in Ireland. In terms of job prospects, a PME in Maths would be a good step. However, getting Irish universities to recognise overseas degrees is quite a challenge. Some don't even try to hide their bias!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 DazC98

Regarding teaching council requirements for some subjects - is it correct that you can teach the likes of history, geography etc with any degree as long as you have the 60 credits made up for these subjects? Example - I have a computer science degree, and will have 60 credits in geography (15 human/15 physical covered) and also have 60 history credits too. I believe it doesn’t matter what degree you have, or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

So 60 credits - with 10 of these at least to a 3rd year level or higher? Not 70 credits? Sorry not sure.

No, 60 credits, 10 of which must be in third And/or 4th year.

Ah cool. My geography postgrad diploma is made up of 3rd year modules and masters modules so should be all good on that. Thanks!

Great. Don’t forget your computer science subject for leaving cert also - not all

bit some schools teach it . Once you are in a school, there may be the opportunity to teach maths there also. Very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

If I don't get direct entry CAO offer for Primary Teaching and go down the ARTS with PME route, which subjects with Irish would be best...was thinking Music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Want to do Primary Teaching though, just thought aside from Irish, which other subjects would be helpful for PME interview etc.

Advertisement