Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation €3-4k budget

• 01-03-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Looking to buy a new bike in the 3-4k bracket. I'm not racing anymore and to be honest have been off the bike for a while but this year is the year to get back into it.

The house is built, 2 of the 3 kids are at school and I need an outlet for myself. I'm living in the South West but from the North West and I don't really know many people in my area and this will help me settle in a bit more as I don't know anyone bar my other halfs family in the area.

I'm hoping to join my local club as an extra kick up the arse to get going once these restrictions are lifted.

I've done a fair few triathlons/sportive's and some club racing in the past. The last bike I bought new was way back in 2004, a Trek 2000, and it has stood me well and still will be a grand machine for next winter.

Long term the plan is to get back to doing sportives and possibly more triathlons and local racing.

I've been looking around and the following tickle my fancy:

2021 Giant Propel Advanced Disc -
    Comes with 105 and P-A2 wheels for €3100 or Ultegra and SLR2 Carbon wheels for €3999. Is it worth the extra for Ultegra and carbon wheels? I'd probably end up buying a set of carbons eventually.

2021 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2 Disc
    105 groupset and SLR-1 42mm Carbon wheels

2021 Wilier Cento 10 SL Disc
    Ultegra groupset, RS100 wheels

2019 Trek Madone SL 6
    Ultegra groupset, Bontrager wheelset

Bianchi Aria Aero Disc
    Ultegra, Fulcrum 618 wheelset

Any gurus there that could provide any advice on the above or recommend something different. I don't mind spending the money even though I'm not racing, I know when I bought the Trek (€1700 at the time), I was never off it, and hoping this will do the same for me.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was going to suggest titanium, but then saw you want it for sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I got a 2020 TCR Advanced Pro One Disc for 4089€ during the first lockdown (I live in France). Found the cheapest price online and contacted all of the Giant dealers within an hours' drive seeing if they would price match (cheapest was 4k but I took it from the shop anyway). This is the one with Ultegra Di2 - so comparable to the Pro Zero this year I think.

A lot of the bikes you list above look overpriced I think tbh. 105 is a perfectly fine groupset but I don't think you should be paying 3k for a bike with it. Same for wheels - the Giant alu wheels or the Shimano ones are definitely areas you would be looking to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bikes now are easily 300-500 dearer in the 3k plus bracket unfortunately.

Get the best frame & wheels for your money is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That I agree but I'd still shop around.

I'd also question if you need discs if it is going to be a good bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭obi604

a car :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rose X lite, Disc or rim rake options, helluva bike. The 4 or 6 version are the same frame as far as I can tell so you can go all in on the 6 or go for the 4 and upgrade what you want for

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

At that price any road bike youd buy, unless an endurance bike will be well capable of racing. Youd most likely be buying speed over your current Trek. If your asking if one bike is faster than another, i would say the difference is marginal and youd be best spending money on a good coach and that would make much more of a difference in terms of speed. Anyway tyres and wheels can add alot of speed, i.e a 2000 quid 105 bike with top of the range carbons and fast tyres would probably smash alot of 3-4k bikes in terms of performance.

If your asking in terms of value? The best specced bikes will be had online from canyon rose vitus etc.
    Although some brands you can get in your LBS definitley compete in terms of value. Giant and merida are frame manufacturers so they make other brands frames aswell as their own hence they usually have the nicest framed bikes at a certain price point. Other brands might have a really nice frame but not appealing spec for example for around 3000€ you can get scott addict rc its only 105 disc but your getting pretty much the same frame as the pros. Remember its alot easier to upgrade parts over time than your frame.
    My advice would be, especially if your new to an area and dont mind spending extra, go to your local shop and see what they have and start building a relationship. Pick one of their bikes that appeals to you best, and get a bike fit and maybe even a coach if you want to go racing.

Also as others have mention prices have increased so i wouldnt hesitate to negotiate a small discount

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

obi604 wrote: »
    a car :)
    Got rid of me car! Was paying for it and bik on work van so now have a few extra euros built up to treat myself!

That I agree but I'd still shop around.

I'd also question if you need discs if it is going to be a good bike.

Not fixed on disc brakes, just seems to be the way it's going. Quite happy with a rim brake bike, at least I'll be well able to maintain them, wouldn't have a clue on bleeding discs

Tony04 wrote: »
    At that price any road bike youd buy, unless an endurance bike will be well capable of racing. Youd most likely be buying speed over your current Trek. If your asking if one bike is faster than another, i would say the difference is marginal and youd be best spending money on a good coach and that would make much more of a difference in terms of speed. Anyway tyres and wheels can add alot of speed, i.e a 2000 quid 105 bike with top of the range carbons and fast tyres would probably smash alot of 3-4k bikes in terms of performance.

If your asking in terms of value? The best specced bikes will be had online from canyon rose vitus etc.
    Although some brands you can get in your LBS definitley compete in terms of value. Giant and merida are frame manufacturers so they make other brands frames aswell as their own hence they usually have the nicest framed bikes at a certain price point. Other brands might have a really nice frame but not appealing spec for example for around 3000€ you can get scott addict rc its only 105 disc but your getting pretty much the same frame as the pros. Remember its alot easier to upgrade parts over time than your frame.
    My advice would be, especially if your new to an area and dont mind spending extra, go to your local shop and see what they have and start building a relationship. Pick one of their bikes that appeals to you best, and get a bike fit and maybe even a coach if you want to go racing.

Also as others have mention prices have increased so i wouldnt hesitate to negotiate a small discount

It's all about the looks too! Some frames out there aren't the prettiest!

I'm not fussed on groupset, I've always had ultegra and suppose would like to keep it, but a good bike with 105 can always be upgraded but I'd prefer to buy once and maintain it.

I've always wanted carbon wheels since I was a junior, could never afford them! If I can get them on the bike it's money saved in future until I take a notion in 2 years to buy zipps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

CramCycle wrote: »
    Rose X lite, Disc or rim rake options, helluva bike. The 4 or 6 version are the same frame as far as I can tell so you can go all in on the 6 or go for the 4 and upgrade what you want for

Can confirm, the 4 is a delight but I think the rang might be due a refresh soon. Still a lot of bike for the money and there is always 'next year's model' so no point waiting!

I thought the 6 was a different grade of carbon tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

It's all about the looks too! Some frames out there aren't the prettiest!

I'm not fussed on groupset, I've always had ultegra and suppose would like to keep it, but a good bike with 105 can always be upgraded but I'd prefer to buy once and maintain it.

I've always wanted carbon wheels since I was a junior, could never afford them! If I can get them on the bike it's money saved in future until I take a notion in 2 years to buy zipps!

Well i cant choose whats to your taste. But imo any clean bike with a gold chain zipp wheels and a slammed stem is pretty.
    Ultegra has a much nicer finish than 105 but is functionally the same and 105 is cheaper to replace if needs be.
    I find oem carbon wheels arent usually as nice as aftermarket stuff but yeh can sometimes be great value.

km991148 wrote: »
    Can confirm, the 4 is a delight but I think the rang might be due a refresh soon. Still a lot of bike for the money and there is always 'next year's model' so no point waiting!

I thought the 6 was a different grade of carbon tho?

It is, and it comes with nicer wheels but I don't think that I or many others would even notice, its about 100g weight penalty. The wheels with the six are epic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They're all nice bikes. I don't know if the coffee shops need lads tripping over yet another Giant so the Bianchi would be nice in that respect! Having said that Giant make fine bikes too.
    Personally I couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of money for lowly 105 but that seems to be the way things are going so.... whaddyagonnadoo?
    But in answer to your question is it worth the extra for carbon wheels and ultegra - A resounding YES would be my opinion. If you change your mind a week after buying and go about pupgrading groupset and wheels it'll cost you a heck of a lot more then to do it, so you may as well go all in from the start.
    That kind of money also gets you a Cervelo S3 disc and there are several shops in Ireland that would have stock for you to throw your leg over - base2race in Dublin and Harry's bikes and.... what's the name of that big showroom in Cavan, they have a big facebook presence... Clarkes of Cavan.

What else is there... - base2race sell Orro bikes and they're beautiful machines in the flesh. Well priced too - ultegra, disc aero or endurance for well within your budget.

https://shop.base2race.ie/collections/orro/products/venturi-stc-ultegra-8020?variant=37673810755779

As lads have said - your bang for buck starting point / yardstick has to be Canyon and measure everything from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Out of those you've listed I'd have the TCR advanced it's a hell of a frame, the groupset wouldn't really bother me to be honest but I guess when you're spending that kind of money you'd expect Ultegra level. The bianchi is very nice also and as Fat bloke mentioned something a bit different. You could squeeze in the cervelo R3 also which I'd probably choose myself.

It would be nice to get Di2 or similar and if you're going for carbon wheels I'd get disc brakes, not so much for the braking ability but the not destroying your rims with rims brakes.

In any case a nice position to be in, enjoy.

fat bloke wrote: »
    They're all nice bikes. I don't know if the coffee shops need lads tripping over yet another Giant so the Bianchi would be nice in that respect! .

I wouldn't be one for the coffee stops, I was in a tri club a few years back and they always stopped for coffee, I just couldn't get used to it especially if only doing around 80km on the spin. I'd rather be home 30 minutes earlier and not have to warn back up again, especially in winter. Maybe I'll mellow when I get a bit older!

It is, and it comes with nicer wheels but I don't think that I or many others would even notice, its about 100g weight penalty. The wheels with the six are epic though.

RE The wheels - it seems to change. The did do an OEM DT Swiss (P1750 on the four) but now they seem to use their own "Rose branded" wheels.

km991148 wrote: »
    RE The wheels - it seems to change. The did do an OEM DT Swiss (P1750 on the four) but now they seem to use their own "Rose branded" wheels.

I have the Rose 50/50 wheels, roll beautifully and are glorious to look at.

As for the debate above about which from the list given, I would rather buy any other frame than have another Giant or Trek on the road, be different. They are fine bikes but just be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭joey100

As for the debate above about which from the list given, I would rather buy any other frame than have another Giant or Trek on the road, be different. They are fine bikes but just be different.

I thought the same. Then I got a go of a tcr. Loved it. Sold a bianchi oltre xr4, canyon ultimate and Scott foil and now have 2 tcrs. One with rim brake for racing and one with disc brakes for everything else. Love them.

To the OP, they are all good bikes. Buy which ever you like the look of the best and there's more chance you will get out and use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’ve got a Merida Reacto 6000 due soon that was originally around €3,200 but suspect that will now top €3600 or a little more .It isn’t the value it was as it will need a racing wheel set from the off but it’s from the LBS & I’ve agreed a deal on a decent set of wheels as well.

All in I’m out €4500 hopefully for aero frame, disc, mech Ultegra & 2 wheel sets. Expensive new bike!!!

• Advertisement

I'm with Cram and like to be different (difficult?? :pac:)

I also sat on a TCR advanced last year too, is a great bike as well, and as others said they all pretty much are - you can't go wrong, pick what you like the look of and get some pics up even you do!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I think the Willier is the sexiest bike there, that's the basis I'd be working off :D
    Discs rock.
    Would there be a DeRosa to meet your requirements? They're glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭koutoubia

There is a lad I know selling an absloute low mileage cracker of a bike (minus wheels) for 4k. I know the price that he will let it go for and will leave you a few quid for wheels OR he may do a deal with wheels.
    Drop me a pm and I will link it if you are interested.
    BTW Its not me and if it wasnt a disc brake set up it would be in my ownership now as I have too many wheels on rim brake.

Also something to consider on new bikes there is a long waiting time due to the shortage of equipment globally.

koutoubia wrote: »
    There is a lad I know selling an absloute low mileage cracker of a bike (minus wheels) for 4k. I know the price that he will let it go for and will leave you a few quid for wheels OR he may do a deal with wheels.
    BTW Its not me and if it wasnt a disc brake set up it would be in my ownership now as I have too many wheels on rim brake.

Also something to consider on new bikes there is a long waiting time due to the shortage of equipment globally.

Jeez, there are not many bikes that will make 4 grand on the second hand without a wheelset! What is it?

Do we know what size the OP is looking for?

Pinarello F10 with Di2 with powermeter.
    I know the owner and can vouch for the low miles.
    Was half tinking of selling one my Noahs to pick it up but teh disc wheel thing is just a little bit of a deal breaker for me.

Pinarello F10 with Di2 with powermeter.
    I know the owner and can vouch for the low miles.
    Was half tinking of selling one my Noahs to pick it up but teh disc wheel thing is just a little bit of a deal breaker for me.

Nice indeed. I didn't realise there WAS a disc option on the F10.

Thanks, I should have said I'll be part funding using the bike to work so a private sale is not for me. I actually nearly bought a Pinarello from Halfords a few years ago, but didn't like the sales experience and they didn't have one in my size in the end up.

What size are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

A pinarello in Halfords !! ?
    Wouldn't have thought they would stock a high end Italian brand ?

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    A pinarello in Halfords !! ?
    Wouldn't have thought they would stock a high end Italian brand ?

They did sell them briefly. Not the full range or anything. Was a funny marriage of brands alright though.

Advertisement