Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firearms / House Alarm

Options
  • 01-02-2021 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Ive been told my house needs an alarm if there are 4 firearms or more. What kind of alarm is acceptable, basic or does it have to be monitored etc..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

By whom?

I only ask because if its the FO or Super then you must. If its someone that is a friend or basically not in authority then they may be wrong (depending on type of firearm). The Minimum standard for 4 firearms is:
    Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    That means an alarm to the room the safes are in or the safes themselves.

If three or all four are restricted you need the house alarm and it must be monitored as per the minimum standards of level security:
    In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána.The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

This poses an interesting conundrum. “The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licenced by the spa, and supported by gsm mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities”. Does anyone know of a reasonable service I have the alarm and gsm back up. Just don’t want to throw €30 a month down the drain for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Is it the room or the safe itself that needs to be alarmed or is it the house itself?
    Would it suffice having the external doors and windows alarmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have always interpreted as the dwelling or place were the firearms are stored.

For the purpose of this comment I will say that the firearms are in a safe and all firearms are unrestricted.

Scenario One:

Work shop, Garage, Shed, etc.- then the building must be alarmed and any doors or windows must have a suitable lock- ie standard locks and catches as seen on standard external doors and windows.

Scenario Two
    House or Apartment- then the building or unit must be alarmed and the same, same for locks and catches.

This was introduced because there were multitude of firearms stored at frount doors / back doors, just inside porches, barns and sheds with no doors let alone locks and not to forget the countless numbers of guns left on the floors of vehicles around the country. It wasn't just a raft of thefts from urban houses that drove this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dunner515 wrote: »
    Is it the room or the safe itself that needs to be alarmed or is it the house itself?
    Would it suffice having the external doors and windows alarmed?

I think it's the room where the safe is located.

That said, if you are going to the bother of installing an alarm, I think you'd be as well off to do the whole house while you are at it.

I'd PIR's in every room in the house. The CPO inspected my house and told me I'd be better off with window sensors as someone is already in the house by the time they are picked up by the PIR's. Made sense to me so I went and got windown sensors too.

Richard308 wrote: »
    This poses an interesting conundrum. “The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licenced by the spa, and supported by gsm mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities”. Does anyone know of a reasonable service I have the alarm and gsm back up. Just don’t want to throw €30 a month down the drain for peace of mind.

Smart Monitoring were cheaper than Phonewatch the last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Smart Monitoring were cheaper than Phonewatch the last time I checked.

What type of money were ye talking

Zxthinger wrote: »
    What type of money were ye talking

€220 including VAT I think. That's what the missus is telling me anyway.

But you'd be as well phoning them to get a price.

http://www.smartmonitoring.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement