Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon & VAT

• 01-03-2021 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a new Canyon (CF SL 8) on the C2W scheme. I've just received an invoice and there is no VAT on this - despite having being on the website.

Just wondering if this normal - will the VAT be applied here in Ireland on entry (and I will have to arrange this myself w Revenue/Customs) or how does it work ?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

coldpaw wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a new Canyon (CF SL 8) on the C2W scheme. I've just received an invoice and there is no VAT on this - despite having being on the website.

Just wondering if this normal - will the VAT be applied here in Ireland on entry (and I will have to arrange this myself w Revenue/Customs) or how does it work ?

Cheers!

Is the price you actually paid the same as the total amount paid on the invoice. Secondly are Canyon stating that they are responsible for all taxes i.e. the price paid is inclusive of all taxes. Thirdly, where is the bike coming from EU or no EU. Sorry for all the questions, just need to establish the facts.

If Canyon are saying they are not responsible and the bike is coming from the UK then the courier will probably pay the taxes and send you a bill. This will be for VAT and possible duties.

On the other hand if Canyon are paying then you don’t pay anything extra and the Irish VAT and duties due are included in the price you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sure it's canyon Gmbh isn't it? An entirely within - EU purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

fat bloke wrote: »
    Sure it's canyon Gmbh isn't it? An entirely within - EU purchase.

And?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

Thanks for the responses all. It's from Canyon in Germany not the UK as far as I can tell.

The invoice is actually cheaper than what I was expecting to pay (1,850 on invoice vs 2,200 on website); not an issue to pay just wondering if anyone had any experience on when/if this will be added? I know my HR/Finance dept will ask about this so trying to have an answer rather than hope for the best like i'd do if I was purchasing on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ismat

They appear to be supplying it to you net of German vat at 19% possibly because it is being supplied to or invoiced to your employer. Your employer will need to self account for Irish vat at 23% and pay this over to revenue so it will cost you 2,275 approximately in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi all,

Cheers!

You're buying through your employer, otherwise C2w won't apply. Because it is B2B transaction outside one VAT jurisdiction, the Vat is not invoiced. However, The company importing the goods to Ireland must pay the Vat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Canyon have an Irish VAT number. Bought a bike off them a few weeks ago (they charged me VAT @21%). I'd say they haven't added VAT to your invoice in error.

Their VAT number is 9685412C

You can check it here

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Canyon have an Irish VAT number. Bought a bike off them a few weeks ago (they charged me VAT @21%). I'd say they haven't added VAT to your invoice in error.

You can check it here

Sale to a private consumer they don’t need to show the VAT separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭hold my beer

bazermc wrote: »
    Sale to a private consumer they don’t need to show the VAT separately.

I'm a private consumer. They showed the VAT separately. I didn't provide a VAT number as it's not a business expense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm a private consumer. They showed the VAT separately. I didn't provide a VAT number as it's not a business expense

That's the difference. If they exported to Ireland to a business, they don't need to charge Vat. If exporting for a private customer, they do need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sorry for a little tangent, but what's the waiting list for Canyon like these days? A lot of their road bikes seem to be out of stock at the moment

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Sorry for a little tangent, but what's the waiting list for Canyon like these days? A lot of their road bikes seem to be out of stock at the moment

Waits are long - Mine is not coming till August...

grogi wrote: »
    That's the difference. If they exported to Ireland to a business, they don't need to charge Vat. If exporting for a private customer, they do need to.

Thanks Grogi and all that makes sense now. They could have been a little clearer about this on the site or when I contacted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Macer123

Thanks Grogi and all that makes sense now. They could have been a little clearer about this on the site or when I contacted them.

In that case is it cheaper to buy as a private customer as Canyon will charge VAT at the German rate of 19%, than to buy as a business, as the Irish company will have to apply the Irish rate of 23% to the staff member buying under the CTWS ? Will the OP will loose out on some of the CTWS benefit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Macer123

Shedite27 wrote: »

Delay on Aeroad due to design issues with the seatpost. Excessive dirt can lead to increased wear between the seatpost & the seat tube.
    My April delivery has been delayed, no new scheduled date, more info promised from Canyon before March 17th !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

You can check it here

Macer123 wrote: »
    In that case is it cheaper to buy as a private customer as Canyon will charge VAT at the German rate of 19%, than to buy as a business, as the Irish company will have to apply the Irish rate of 23% to the staff member buying under the CTWS ? Will the OP will loose out on some of the CTWS benefit ?

Canyon will charge the Irish rate to Irish private customers because they are Irish VAT registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Canyon makes their bikes in bulk loads, they don't continually produce the same bike.

GCN did a factory visit where it's explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Peeling1979

Slight hijack folks people on this thread seem to know what they’re on about!

Thinking about buying a Grizl or Grail through the CTWS with my employer, obviously it will come in over the €1250 threshold for CTWS, has anyone done this with their employer, did they pay the whole amount and you just pay forward the excess? I’m public sector and our Admin can be a bit ‘computer says no’ around these things so I’d like to see what other people’s experiences have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Slight hijack folks people on this thread seem to know what they’re on about!

Thinking about buying a Grizl or Grail through the CTWS with my employer, obviously it will come in over the €1250 threshold for CTWS, has anyone done this with their employer, did they pay the whole amount and you just pay forward the excess? I’m public sector and our Admin can be a bit ‘computer says no’ around these things so I’d like to see what other people’s experiences have been.

When ordering the bike from Canyon you get an invoice with bank details. Employer sends their €1,250 and you send the excess. Canyon's accounts team will match up the payments and process the order. Very straight forward, throw an order/customer number on the payment reference. It took 3 days from my employer sending payment to Canyon processing it, probably would have been quicker as I sent my payment a day after my employer.

Some employers are fussy about the invoice not being split. I got an Endurace ON for €3,050. Employer sent €1,500 and I sent the rest, no questions asked as it makes zero difference to the company.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    When ordering the bike from Canyon you get an invoice with bank details. Employer sends their €1,250 and you send the excess. Canyon's accounts team will match up the payments and process the order. Very straight forward, throw an order/customer number on the payment reference. It took 3 days from my employer sending payment to Canyon processing it, probably would have been quicker as I sent my payment a day after my employer.

Some employers are fussy about the invoice not being split. I got an Endurace ON for €3,050. Employer sent €1,500 and I sent the rest, no questions asked as it makes zero difference to the company.

Sounds good Davey Dave many thanks for this ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Check with your employer first. If it’s done by PeoplePoint then I think they may insist on seeing an invoice for no more than the BTW limit.

Zen0 wrote: »
    Check with your employer first. If it’s done by PeoplePoint then I think they may insist on seeing an invoice for no more than the BTW limit.

Thanks Zen0 will send them a mail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks Zen0 will send them a mail.

And check it not done through a 3rd party like TravelHub, like many public/civil places, if so Canyon quite rightly won't give them their 10%.

Advertisement