Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRC and other rallying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I hate to say it but Breen's chance of a full time seat in a top car is gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Oops! wrote: »
    I hate to say it but Breen's chance of a full time seat in a top car is gone....

It’s going to be tough to get a competitive seat alright. There is quite a few very quick drivers but very few seats, fewer is Hyundai do leave. Craig can be really quick but never really had the program or car to develop the consistency. Hopefully he will have a program next year.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    It’s going to be tough to get a competitive seat alright. There is quite a few very quick drivers but very few seats, fewer is Hyundai do leave. Craig can be really quick but never really had the program or car to develop the consistency. Hopefully he will have a program next year.

He's 30 now, not the new kid on the block anymore. He's had the programs, the cars and more importantly the £££££ behind him to get where he is today. He'll still get drives and programs at other levels, but the top level full time seat is gone now....

Oops! wrote: »
    He's 30 now, not the new kid on the block anymore. He's had the programs, the cars and more importantly the £££££ behind him to get where he is today. He'll still get drives and programs at other levels, but the top level full time seat is gone now....

Maybe so alright, though it seemed to be very difficult to get the best out of the C3.

I fear you are correct but I hope he will have a good chance in the Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is there talks of Hyundai leaving? WRC would be dead if that happens. M-Sport are just hanging in there as is. That would only leave Toyota.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    Is there talks of Hyundai leaving? WRC would be dead if that happens. M-Sport are just hanging in there as is. That would only leave Toyota.

The is/was some concern about it as Hyundai have not committed to 2022. There was also talk that Hyundai hadn’t given the go ahead to develop the 2022 car. There has been an update on the situation just released today though (link below).

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/adamo-optimistic-hyundai-will-stay-in-wrc-beyond-2021/5590448/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I remember talking to Breen when he was 16, He had money to go down the BTCC route. He did very well at karting and had the two options.

Rallying or track racing.

If any kids are reading this, there is no money in rallying go race on tracks as much as you can.

It's a shame that's it true as rallying is just another level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The is/was some concern about it as Hyundai have not committed to 2022. There was also talk that Hyundai hadn’t given the go ahead to develop the 2022 car. There has been an update on the situation just released today though (link below).

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/adamo-optimistic-hyundai-will-stay-in-wrc-beyond-2021/5590448/

Is WRC that important to the sport of rallying ? There will all ways be international and national rally championships with just as impressive machinery and pilots if not better machinery depending on whatever style floats your boat.

Yes it is... But the problem is manufacturers have no interest in rallying anymore... It's too dirty, doesn't fit the image of the modern day green eco boxes they are trying to sell.

I know that hybrid tech isn't everyone favorite in motorsport right now but I think this is good news for the future of the WRC.

https://twitter.com/OfficialWRC/status/1377153966627188739?s=20

• Advertisement

From some really positive news yesterday to what I think is a frankly stupid idea today.

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/crazy-corner-adds-new-scoring-element-for-drivers/

Edit: As pointed out by kksaints. I'm an April fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

From some really positive news yesterday to what I think is a frankly stupid idea today.

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/crazy-corner-adds-new-scoring-element-for-drivers/

Good April fools joke alright. Just enough doubt as to whether it's real or not.

kksaints wrote: »
    Good April fools joke alright. Just enough doubt as to whether it's real or not.

Ah...... I can't believe I fell for one. I had a fifteen hour day yesterday if that's any excuse.

I watched extreme e today.

Not sure what thread it should be in but this seems right.

A few crashes today, Some surprising times and it was entertaining.

Not sure what races are going to be like but the time trials were alright when I watched on Facebook. Seems they are getting the right PR anyway. Might get rallycross back on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

afatbollix wrote: »
    I watched extreme e today.

Not sure what thread it should be in but this seems right.

A few crashes today, Some surprising times and it was entertaining.

Not sure what races are going to be like but the time trials were alright when I watched on Facebook. Seems they are getting the right PR anyway. Might get rallycross back on the map.

This just popped up on YouTube for me. I'd never heard of it before, but it looks interesting. Races are live here:

Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton both have teams through to the finals. Mix of rally, rallycross and formula 1 drivers

Breen won in Sanremo then took a 10 second penalty (apparently to had win to Italian Hyundai driver Crugnola) but the penalty has now been cancelled handing the win back to Craig. It all seems very strange.

https://twitter.com/rallyinsight/status/1381331818448830464

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JMR46

Craig had quite a slow time in Shakedown in Croatia, even after 3 runs, he was slowest WRC

Hopefully this doesn't mean he will struggle on this event. It's his first proper tarmac rally in the Hyundai

JMR46 wrote: »
    Craig had quite a slow time in Shakedown in Croatia, even after 3 runs, he was slowest WRC

Hopefully this doesn't mean he will struggle on this event. It's his first proper tarmac rally in the Hyundai

Hopefully he was just saving tyres. Even on a very bad day I can see him being nearly 1.5 seconds a km slower than Elfyn.

Rally Croatia proved to be a great rally. Not a great weekend for Breen unfortunately. He could not get any confidence in the car but Tanak seems to have had a similar problem. Hyundai messed up Saturday's tyre choice too.

Ogier had a crash on the road section before SS17 which came very close to ending his rally. He also had a bit of hassle with the local police because of said crash. Ogier took the win in the end by .6 seconds over Evans. Evans lost a second or so on the very last corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

He nearly ran over one policeman

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    He nearly ran over one policeman

It was all very messy. Apparently one police officer told him he could leave but the other didn’t no that. Apparently the police spoke very little English too. He was fined €5000 and received a suspended one race ban for the whole incident. He was fined another €2000 for breaking a red light too.

Driving at a police officer is never a good look though.
    https://twitter.com/SebOgier/status/1386369617241821197

Rally Croatia proved to be a great rally. Not a great weekend for Breen unfortunately. He could not get any confidence in the car but Tanak seems to have had a similar problem. Hyundai messed up Saturday's tyre choice too.

Ogier had a crash on the road section before SS17 which came very close to ending his rally. He also had a bit of hassle with the local police because of said crash. Ogier took the win in the end by .6 seconds over Evans. Evans lost a second or so on the very last corner.

The Power Stage was a great watch, right down to the wire after 3 days to be decided on the last corner. Seriously entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Massive amount of spectators on some of the stages. If there’s an increase in COVID numbers in Croatia because of this it could jeopardise future events in the WRC.

jelutong wrote: »
    Massive amount of spectators on some of the stages. If there’s an increase in COVID numbers in Croatia because of this it could jeopardise future events in the WRC.

Not to take it off topic but FYI track and trace have said that only 1 out of 1000 traced cases was transmitted outside.

It's the safest place to be.

It's the first rally I haven't had WRC +, I felt shafted last year and canceled my account after the year. Didn't miss it, unfortunately. :(

Craig Breen is off to compete in the Targa Florio rally again. It really can’t have been an easy decision to reach. Best of luck to him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COLTC2DHigp/
    551574.png

Craig Breen is off to compete in the Targa Florio rally again. It really can’t have been an easy decision to reach. Best of luck to him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COLTC2DHigp/
    551574.png

Brave decision, you'd have to admire it.

Paul Nagle is on the Dermot and Dave Show TodayFM at some stage this morning to do an AskMeAnything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Has had a very interesting life that man.... Fair f**ks to him!

• Advertisement

Great rally by Ogier again. Broken Hyundai for Tanak again.
    And a bit extreme by the officials
    https://twitter.com/DirtFishRally/status/1401526289731891203

Advertisement