Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Super stuff on the mile C! Delighted for you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Hey TbL - do you mind if I ask you...are you following the keto way, or just gone no carbs/no sugar solo?

Is cauliflower rice the only way to navigate the storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hey TbL - do you mind if I ask you...are you following the keto way, or just gone no carbs/no sugar solo?

Is cauliflower rice the only way to navigate the storm?

Hi HS

Happy to answer any questions.

I went full strict clean keto for 6 months and lost over 3 stone and got all my energy back. I was daily logging my foods and was very strict and managed macros carefully

I relaxed a bit after 6 months but I still won’t touch any carb, I haven’t had spuds, pasta, bread certain fruits and veg etc etc in nearly 2 years.

I’d a terrible sweet tooth and thought I’d never manage it but tbh I was never hungry on it and found it was great for me.

I have cauliflower rice almost daily but you can buy zero carb noodles and make bread from almond flour. I make a mean homemade keto pizza :)

I started eating more veg and green salad to compensate for the lack of carbs.

My sister lost 9 stone on keto and has managed to keep it off.

It does take discipline though and requires a long term commitment

Happy to answer anything via pm as well.

Have a look at the carb manager app, that’s the one I use

TbL

Thanks so much. Lots of info there. Yeah I've upped the veg and green salad with each meal. Its just when I'm looking for recipes to vary the side dishes a bit there's a lot of full fat creams and cheeses which I'm a bit nervous about. Do you follow that part too? I just want to be sure before I let good fats in that I'm not digging my own grave with it!

3 stone and 9 stone is amazing!

Thanks so much. Lots of info there. Yeah I've upped the veg and green salad with each meal. Its just when I'm looking for recipes to vary the side dishes a bit there's a lot of full fat creams and cheeses which I'm a bit nervous about. Do you follow that part too? I just want to be sure before I let good fats in that I'm not digging my own grave with it!

3 stone and 9 stone is amazing!

Embrace good fats, for me they really satiate hunger. Dollop of mayo, heavy cream, cream cheeses etc.

Avocado is brilliant for breakfast I try and include it most days.

My advice would be to focus religiously on net carb daily count and mainly ignore calories for at least 8 weeks.

It only works if you track net carbs properly though, carbs sneak into almost everything and it’s takes practice to work it out

Also when it says net carbs per 100g for example you need to try and accurately assess the amount of carbs in your portion. To help with this I bought a scale that measured accurately for low weights

Edit: careful on veg selection some of them are very high in carbs

TbL

• Advertisement

Great, thanks so much. I just downloaded that app. Mandarins are NOT safe :eek:

Thanks a million!

Great, thanks so much. I just downloaded that app. Mandarins are NOT safe :eek:

Thanks a million!

If you don’t get the net carbs right it doesn’t work.

Strawberries, raspberries and very small portions of blueberries and melon.

Fruits tend to be full of natural sugars keto basically gets your body to rely on fats for its fuel source as opposed to carbs and mixing doesn’t work well.

Have you set a daily net carb “allowance”?

Keto isn’t for everyone but worked terrifically for me.

TbL

Yeah I set the net allowance. Sh*tty sh*te anyhow, I've been eating all sorts of veggie concoctions (thinking I was flying) and its telling me to avoid most of it :pac:

I'll go through all the friendly foods and start from there.

Lucky I asked! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

In fairness he’s in the best condition I seen him since Ben-hur!!

Haahaa you're a divil :D

I'm already 27g over my net carb allowance and I haven't even had dinner yet :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm a carb junkie. Dr Berg Keto stuff popping up lately. Watched a few and it makes sense.

It's so far the other side of the spectrum that's its scary. Plus how do you do it with a young family?!

TbL.. I read a good bit about it yet (while munching peanut butter and banana on homemade brown bread by the loaf) and its all good if you are running easy, fat burning zone. However once you hit 70% or try a workout...

I've cut real crap as part of Lent and doing fine except for replacing it with more bread and cereal. Thinking to tackle cereal next but cannot imagine giving up porridge!

How have you fared on higher aerobic, threshold stuff? Have you lost muscle mass? Where on earth did the 5:29 mile come from on Keto?!

I'm a carb junkie. Dr Berg Keto stuff popping up lately. Watched a few and it makes sense.

It's so far the other side of the spectrum that's its scary. Plus how do you do it with a young family?!

TbL.. I read a good bit about it yet (while munching peanut butter and banana on homemade brown bread by the loaf) and its all good if you are running easy, fat burning zone. However once you hit 70% or try a workout...

I've cut real crap as part of Lent and doing fine except for replacing it with more bread and cereal. Thinking to tackle cereal next but cannot imagine giving up porridge!

How have you fared on higher aerobic, threshold stuff? Have you lost muscle mass? Where on earth did the 5:29 mile come from on Keto?!

Hi Shotgun M

I’d been overweight since my early thirties and running helped but as you know you can’t outrun a bad diet! Once I got injured and stopped running I started to pile on the weight. Started looking at diets and liked the look of keto, I was also trying to work on toning and getting some leaner muscle mass. It’s definitely not for everyone and takes a determined focus.

What I liked about it at the start was that I was never ever hungry and enjoyed the foods. The total detox from all sugars was a shock to the system though.

For me keto has me the fittest and leanest I’ve ever been.

I actually think it has a positive effect on my running as my body has now learned to use fat for its fuel rather than carbs. I ran over 19 miles around Christmas without any drinks or gels and don’t think I’ll ever need them.

It’s worked really really well for me, better energy, I rarely get cold sores or sick, and strangely my hair stopped falling out.

With a bit of effort you can replicate almost any “carb” food.

You could bake a keto loaf and bang away with the peanut butter :)

Edit: good from a family perspective as they get to learn about hidden sugars. I just work around their dinners it’s no problem

TbL

This is a low carb pizza I made.

Base egg mozzarella cream cheese almond flour
    No sugar marinara
    Belt way with low carb toppings

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Only catching up now...well done on the Mile TT, super time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Some discipline on the food front C. I've always looked at food (since I've been running anyway) as calories in vs calories out to a large extent. I don't deny myself a whole lot, but keep it reasonably healthy. I don't know how you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This is a low carb pizza I made.

Base egg mozzarella cream cheese almond flour
    No sugar marinara
    Belt way with low carb toppings

TbL

Nice pic. Are those coco pops you have on the top of it? :p

Mon & Tue: easy miles both days. Was nervous waking up Monday morning to see how the body held up to the previous days mile exertion but felt good. Felt even better after a visit to the physioterrorist. 9.5 miles for the two days. Did some S&C on Tuesday.

Wed: plan called for wu/cd and 10 mins @ 7.15: 5 mins @ 7.00: 10 mins @ 7.15

Jogged up to the pitch for this and once I got into it I managed it handy enough. Just over 7.5 miles in total.

The young lad asked me to cut his hair with the clippers, first time I’ve done it and he wanted a “fade” look. Started off ok but then kept having to “correct” mistakes! The mistakes mounted and I though he ended up looking like a cross between a Benedictine monk and a convict :( He seemed happy enough with it and all was well until his mother saw it and then all hell broke loose...

Thur: plan called for easy miles and I got just over 5 miles done, trying really hard to concentrate on good form.

Fri: more easy miles few very easy miles with my daughter and then a few steadier on my own, just over 5.5 miles in total.

Sat: plan wu/cd 5 x 3 mins @ 6.50 off 75 secs: 3 min jog: 2 sets 20/30/40 sec strides off 40/30/20 secs.

Worst session so far on this plan, felt really pissed off at the end. Found it really hard to dial into the paces, thinking I was going 6.50 handy, watch showing 7.15 etc. Never got into it and was annoyed thinking that this was close to marathon pace a few years ago and here I am all over the shop with 15 minutes! Form was crap on the strides too!

6.51;6.46;6.43;6.55;6.41.

Sun: 10 miles “LR”

Absolutely stunning day for a run, really enjoyed this. Out and back to the Rossaveal crossroads.

8.45/16/11/07/09/07/25/05/54/33.

Highest weekly mileage since Xmas 45 miles

After last weeks mile TT I put the time into a race predictor for 5k, 18.14, I haven’t stopped laughing since!

I’m confident however I’ll break 20 if Mr H picks a decent course and I’m looking forward to a chance to chalk it off.

This lockdown is really starting to get to me now, hopefully this is the last of it!

TbL

The haircut story made me laugh, needs must:)

I remember doing those sessions during my 5k training & finding them tough enough & as I was told at the time don't let that one session get to you(which i'm sure you won't)

You'll be in flying form for this 5k TT:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

C did the same with my daughther when see was 2 years old.

Hope you enjoy the few weeks in the kennel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

You’re one driven individual or as I prefer to call you a determined bo!!ix!!! To come back from where you were to be doing what you are is absolutely inspiring. Great to follow and see C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Once you start 'fixing' your mistakes that's when the real trouble starts. I had the
    exact same situation during the summer with my eldest fella :D

Looking forward to the TT...wherever & whenever that may be!

Its like Father Ted fixing the 'dent' in his car. I started off great but then 'oh no wait' kicked in. The kids wont let me near them this lockdown. Every time i look at them i just see a razor going through their locks!

Mon: was battered after being assaulted by the physioterrorist. Plan called for 40 mins easy. Decided to try this without looking at the watch at all as I’ve noticed I’ve been glancing at it an awful lot. Bloody hard habit to break and found it very hard not to peek. 5.2 miles nice and easy.

Tue: plan was another 40 mins easy.

Got just over 5 miles very easy done with my daughter. She is reading Charlie Speedings book and is talking about doing a marathon with me, talk about a seismic change in 12 months :)

Wed: sh1t day at work, filthy mood and zero humour to run at all never mind a session!

Plan wu/cd: 3 sets [4 mins @ 6.50 off 90 secs: 1 min @ 6.30] 3 mins jog between sets. Never really listened to music until I was injured and only started when I was wobbling slowly around the pitch using the music as a distraction. Much prefer running just listening to the voices in my head :).

Today I need something to get me out the door so I threw on some tunes and jogged up to the pitch. Whatever it was I ran this session WAY too fast :( and was in worse humour jogging home!

Thur: first coffee of the morning and while stretching across the kitchen counter to pick up my phone I pinched a muscle in my back and I could hardly straighten up!! Try not to take ibuprofen anymore but needed it and spent the day gently stretching it. Plan today had called for 50 mins progression run and the next days was to be 40 mins easy. Switched them around and got 4 easy miles done with my daughter.

Fri: thought I’d try the progression run and decided I go with the tunes again. That’s the last time!!! My pace seemed to directly correlate to the tempo of the music and I made a balls of the progression I’d have probably run a sub 6 min mile if the shuffle play landed on Motörhead: The Ace of Spades :)

7 all over the place miles!

9.06: Christopher Cross: Sailing

7.55: Warren Zevon: Lawyers, Guns & Money

7.40: ZZ Top: La Grange

7.16: AC/DC: Dirty Deeds done Dirt Cheap

7.31: Black Sabbatt: Paranoid

8.31: Terence Trent Darby: Sign your Name

8.49: Leonard Cohen: Suzanne

Sat: got up late after 10 hours kip! Busy day, cut the grass, watch the athletics, watch the darts, watch Stoke beat Wycombe and squeeze in a session!

Plan was for wu/cd 4 x 1 mile @ 7.05 off 2 mins: 3 min jog 4 x 30 sec strides off 2 mins. Was nearly 5 by the time I got this done managed it fine with the miles all coming in around 7 min pace.

Planned 8 miler tomorrow will see another 40 plus mile week.

Straining at the leash to have a crack at a sub 20 5k at this stage!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sub20 5k?? You ran a 5:29 mile!! Just stick on the magic carpets and get it done..

Sub20 5k?? You ran a 5:29 mile!! Just stick on the magic carpets and get it done..

I’ve only ever run sub 20 about a dozen times and that was a few years ago when I was seriously fit. I hate the distance, it’s not the shoe in you’d think...

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I’ve only ever run sub 20 about a dozen times and that was a few years ago when I was seriously fit. I hate the distance, it’s not the shoe in you’d think...

TbL

It should be! I did a 5:30 mile and a 19:01 5k in the Boards TTs last year. I think that indicates there's a sub 19 there for you....especially with magic shoes :)

As I said fair play getting that session done especially as you weren't in the mood! I think music can have an effect on pace etc, I used to get told off a bit when I 1st started running for going too fast & I think music played a part in that. I also think music can have a really positive effect on my training personally too but not for everyone!

Terrence trent Darby:p

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It should be! I did a 5:30 mile and a 19:01 5k in the Boards TTs last year. I think that indicates there's a sub 19 there for you....especially with magic shoes :)

Thanks S

That’s encouraging especially as I believe you’re another OAP runner :)

That would be a big PB!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks S

That’s encouraging especially as I believe you’re another OAP runner :)

That would be a big PB!

TbL

Yeah just waiting on the bus pass! But I didn't have an Atlantic gale behind me.....:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

As I said fair play getting that session done especially as you weren't in the mood! I think music can have an effect on pace etc, I used to get told off a bit when I 1st started running for going too fast & I think music played a part in that. I also think music can have a really positive effect on my training personally too but not for everyone!

Terrence trent Darby:p

TTD was the man. Smooth!!!

I tried that sliding move in a night club in Galway and knocked over a group of ladies like 10 pins :(

My dancing is worse than my running:)

TbL

https://youtu.be/ynIHsHYaig0

Advertisement