Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flat Iron Steak

• 26-02-2021 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Saw Jamie Thingy cooking flat iron steak on TV. I haven't seen it around. Anyone know what it's like or where it's available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭con747

Saw Jamie Thingy cooking flat iron steak on TV. I haven't seen it around. Anyone know what it's like or where it's available?

From the web. "Is there another name for flat iron steak?
    Flat iron steak—also known as a top blade steak, top blade filet, and shoulder top blade steak—is cut from the shoulder of the cow (called the chuck) and is nicely marbled with lots of beefy flavors. When cooked properly, a flat iron steak turns out tender and juicy"

Chuck of beef

This is the meat that comes from the neck and shoulder of the animal. It is usually cut into 1 inch cubes and sold as stewing beef. Like the shin it is very flavoursome and melts in your mouth when cooked slowly for a decent length of time.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu D3 sell beef chuck aka rib steak from butchers counter...
    Something like 7e a kg.
    Great in slow cooker cut into pieces... but never tried it steak fried.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

They certainly used to sell it in Lidl - not sure if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

You'll get it in James Whelan butchers. Flavoursome but a little tough if not cooked perfectly. Bavette is similar but a much easier cut to cook - flash fry and cut against the grain. Gorgeous and great taste. You'll get that in James Whelan also

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

davegilly wrote: »
    You'll get it in James Whelan butchers. Flavoursome but a little tough if not cooked perfectly. Bavette is similar but a much easier cut to cook - flash fry and cut against the grain. Gorgeous and great taste. You'll get that in James Whelan also

Thank you everyone for replying. That's exactly what Jamie Oliver said, don't overcook as it will be tough. Never heard of Bavette. I can't get to James Whelan as they're just outside my 5k but as soon as I can I'll get in there. I've been buying Rib Eye, which is usually lovely but the price is becoming beyond my purse. Thanks again folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They certainly used to sell it in Lidl - not sure if they still do.

Pretty sure they still do.
    Great cut, cooked med rare.
    Cheap compared to ribeye or strip loin.
    Usually a fairly tidy size - not for someone looking for a massive steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭phormium

I can't get to James Whelan as they're just outside my 5k but as soon as I can I'll get in there.

Food shopping is not limited to 5k

phormium wrote: »
    Food shopping is not limited to 5k

Have you a link to that information? First I've heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have you a link to that information? First I've heard that.

Food shopping has always been considered essential travel.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html#l053b3

I doubt it would work for me, as I would have to pass seven other supermarkets in order to get to Whelan's. I'd say if I was stopped I'd have little excuse, especially with 'I need to buy a different steak'. :)

• Advertisement

I think people (especially those who haven't actually been stopped) are vastly overestimating the Gardai's appetite for "nabbing" people with genuine reasons for being in the car.

I've been stopped a couple of times and the conversation has literally always gone:

G: What's your reason for this trip?

Me: Going food shopping *gestures at list, bags and wallet on passenger seat*

G: No worries, on you go. Stay safe.

I have never been asked which shop I'm going to, what for or why that particular shop.

Also depends on the response to the Gardai, yours is polite and respectful.

I've seen videos of the opposite. People not giving a proper answer, complaining that the Gardai are wasting people's time..... meanwhile queues build up...

We're getting slightly off topic but people filming themselves being antagonistic to the Gardai generally have an agenda.

Someone on their way to buy a piece of steak doesn't have any reason to be anything other than polite & respectful, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭phormium

Food shopping has never been limited as per link above, how could it be, there are many people with no shops within 5k of them at all!

Neither will a garda be asking you how many shops you have already passed to get to the one you want, I am closer to Supervalu but have no notion of shopping there despite it's name as it's far cheaper for me to shop in the supermarkets further away.

I'll have make my own decisions about that. Thanks all.

Advertisement