Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parents Leave

Options
  • 24-02-2021 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I was wondering if I could get some advice here. My wife has finished her maternity leave and is now on unpaid leave until the summer. We want to avail of “Parents Leave” which is the 2 weeks paid (€245) introduced in November 2019 and which was announced in the last budget as supposedly increasing to 5 weeks in April.

We have contacted several phone numbers trying to find out how to apply for this leave and are just being given a new person to contact each time. All we want to know is how to apply for this benefit! The gov.ie website talks a lot about this but has no link to a form, a postal address or anything like that (so frustrating)

Has anybody here availed of this leave? If so how did you go about applying for it?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Hi all. I was wondering if I could get some advice here. My wife has finished her maternity leave and is now on unpaid leave until the summer. We want to avail of “Parents Leave” which is the 2 weeks paid (€245) introduced in November 2019 and which was announced in the last budget as supposedly increasing to 5 weeks in April.

We have contacted several phone numbers trying to find out how to apply for this leave and are just being given a new person to contact each time. All we want to know is how to apply for this benefit! The gov.ie website talks a lot about this but has no link to a form, a postal address or anything like that (so frustrating)

Has anybody here availed of this leave? If so how did you go about applying for it?
    Thanks in advance.

I plan on applying for it after Easter. You apply online as far as I know to the DEASP.

This is the reply I got from the leave section of the dept of Ed:
    “ At the moment the Department of Education do not have an application form for Parent’s Leave. In the meantime a written application specifying the dates of the Parent’s Leave accompanied by the relevant birth certificate is sufficient as a method of application for the leave. The application should be submitted to the BOM.”

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Application is thru www.mywelfare.ie website and by letter to the school BOM.
    The extra 3 weeks are only to come in from April and can't be input on school systems yet.

Millem wrote: »
    I plan on applying for it after Easter. You apply online as far as I know to the DEASP.

This is the reply I got from the leave section of the dept of Ed:
    “ At the moment the Department of Education do not have an application form for Parent’s Leave. In the meantime a written application specifying the dates of the Parent’s Leave accompanied by the relevant birth certificate is sufficient as a method of application for the leave. The application should be submitted to the BOM.”

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Thank you both so much for your replies. She is going to apply in writing to the Board of Management in school. That should be fine.

We are still having issues with the application form side of it. She went onto www.mywelfare.ie there but it is saying that she can’t apply without a Public Services Card! It’s getting very frustrating! I saw an article recently where they were encouraging more people to take parents leave. It’s no wonder people aren’t when it’s being made this difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lmartmom

If you send an email to parentsben @ welfare.ie they will send you out a paper form which you can complete and send back to them. I didn’t have a Public Services Card when I applied for parents benefit and was able to do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

lmartmom wrote: »
    If you send an email to parentsben @ welfare.ie they will send you out a paper form which you can complete and send back to them. I didn’t have a Public Services Card when I applied for parents benefit and was able to do it that way.

Thanks very much for your help. We’ll try that so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement