Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Times at the El Royale

• 07-06-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't watch The Cabin in the Woods for ages. Needless to say, I'll be watching this faster! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Heh
    s**t happens
    , get the whiskey! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that's me sold, can't resist a good thriller involving strangers thrown together in strange situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Big Identity vibe coming off that.

So if it’s half as good it will be well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Big Identity vibe coming off that.

So if it’s half as good it will be well worth a watch.

Kinda getting a Quentin Tarantino vibe from the trailer, looks good :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saw it today and thought it was very good, and yeah it did come across like a Quentin Tarantino movie to me. Definitely worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kooto1982

Trailer is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Shred

I've been looking forward to this one and must catch it over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Saw a preview screening of it last week. Brilliant movie. As above a Tarantino esque vibe to it but very well made. The cast are well chosen. Deffo worth watching !!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have to say I enjoyed this.

Fun all around and the cast are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sorry I didn't go see this in the cinema like I had planned as it is just the type of film I like to go and see on a day off when no one is around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

I thought the first hour or so was very intriguing. A real film noir vibe off of it. We don't know who is is really who they say they are or what they're really up to.

Then a lot happens in quick succession, we're introduced to the man with the screen presence (and acting ability) of a wretchedly old, wet mop in Chris Helmsworth and things just go downhill fast.

To sum up - first hour good, last half hour bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It felt like the kind of movie where the writers had the premise & style down (mysterious strangers meet in a lonely place, with the Tarantino esque act structure), but couldn't quite figure out how to make it all stick properly.

Still a shame it didn't last long in the cinema though, felt like one of those B-movies you just don't get these days. Those mid-budget thrillers with some interesting actors and story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Some memorable set pieces with snappy dialog and accomplished performances. Unfortunately the parts don't sum together to form a coherent whole. That said I really liked this movie. Sets and style were cool, soundtrack was outstanding and I loved the quirky feel.

7.5/10 with a good portion for Cynthia Erivo’s singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭al87987

Great setting, tone, soundtrack.

Good flick 8/10.

Maybe could have shaved fifteen minutes off the runtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched this last night, with zero expectations - not because I'd heard anything bad about it, more so because I knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about it. It's a great film, the actors really make it, wouldn't have worked without the strong performances and production values.

Quite long and there are definitely places it could've been shaved down if needs be, but I really found it well paced and everything felt like it had a purpose. Definitely a Tarantino vibe off it too.

Big thumbs up though.

decent flick - not amazing - Tarantino (on the set pieces) with maybe a dash of Hitchcock (set design)

6.75 / 10.

p to the e wrote: »
    I thought the first hour or so was very intriguing. A real film noir vibe off of it. We don't know who is is really who they say they are or what they're really up to.

Then a lot happens in quick succession, we're introduced to the man with the screen presence (and acting ability) of a wretchedly old, wet mop in Chris Helmsworth and things just go downhill fast.

To sum up - first hour good, last half hour bad.

Chris Hemsworth doing the Nicolas Cage hamming it up method acting :p he is though playing a cult leader

Do we ever find out what is on the film?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Chris Hemsworth doing the Nicolas Cage hamming it up method acting :p he is though playing a cult leader

Not entirely; another obvious Tarantino influence with that, as it had a distinct "Wallace's briefcase" vibe going.

Given how the hotel was set up, and comments by characters who saw the film, we can infer it was some high-ranking politician caught in 'flagrante delicto'. Beyond that ... 🤷

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pixelburp wrote: »
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Not entirely; another obvious Tarantino influence with that, as it had a distinct "Wallace's briefcase" vibe going.

Given how the hotel was set up, and comments by characters who saw the film, we can infer it was some high-ranking politician caught in 'flagrante delicto'. Beyond that ... 🀷

Bearing in mind the conversation bits about how revealing the video would destroy the American population's view of itself (or something along those lines - it's been a while since I saw this), I took it as being JFK in particular. In the sense that it's one thing to have rumours about a popular personable president shagging around, and another to have video evidence of it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Did a bit of looking around and the Vietnam timeline allegedly throws off the idea of it being JFK, with a number of folk theorising it's RFK on the video instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought this was a really good movie, almost like an homage to classic Tarantino.

Fysh wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the conversation bits about how revealing the video would destroy the American population's view of itself (or something along those lines - it's been a while since I saw this), I took it as being JFK in particular. In the sense that it's one thing to have rumours about a popular personable president shagging around, and another to have video evidence of it...
    Fysh wrote: »
    Did a bit of looking around and the Vietnam timeline allegedly throws off the idea of it being JFK, with a number of folk theorising it's RFK on the video instead.

Was their photos on Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedys on the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave it a watch. It was well done. Some solid performances. Was kind of waiting on something like the Cabin in the Woods to happen in the end though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The movie kind've reminds me of those murder mysteries where you've got a group of people together and one of them is the murderer. Of course Chris Hemsworth is obviously the villain in the movie, but the way the movie is structured where we have different story arcs crossing over one another, each character with a interesting background and isn't what they make themselves out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,751 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is now on Disney+ (star part) for anyone who fancies watching it.
    I really enjoyed it

Advertisement