Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EV used as first car

• 26-02-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Hello all!

I've been going over and back on getting an EV as my first car, just not sure what would be the best way forward.

My main attraction to EV at the moment is the low running costs, given minimal fuel costs, cheaper insurance (I'm an under 24 yo male), and low motor tax.

My main need for a car at this point will be going on placement next year in hospitals. Round trip commute would be around 50-60km though I would also like to do long trips. Going back to visit family every so often (190km trip each way).

I was looking at the Leaf 24kwh, since it seemed to be the cheapest option (wouldn't really like to be spending more than 9/10k) however I don't really know what the meaningful range of it is

Does anybody have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

As a 1st car EVs are great, lack of gears, smooth driving style, minimal maintenance all that is good when you're new to driving.

For a 60km round trip almost every EV should be able to handle that except the oldest of Leafs.

If you're anyway nervous about driving a Zoe might be a good choice, smaller and nimbler to drive (just watch out for Renault's battery lease plan, most Zoes have them, but far better to find one without).

If you want something more 'fun' your budget could just be stretched to a BMW i3, much faster to drive, better interiors etc.

I'll leave someone more familiar with Leaf to talk about them

For a 190km trip...€10k would probably leave you tight on range unless you don't mind stopping, or driving at 90kmh with heaters/ac turned off

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The biggest question will be do you have a place to charge the car at home.

There's a lot of value in lower range EV's and second hand models, but you will lost the advantage quickly if you spend every day trying to find a charge point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Consonata wrote: »
    Round trip commute would be around 50-60km though I would also like to do long trips. Going back to visit family every so often (190km trip each way).

I was looking at the Leaf 24kwh

Stop looking at a Leaf24, you will be crucified on 380km round trips, likely at least two charging stops in Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Consonata

liamog wrote: »
    The biggest question will be do you have a place to charge the car at home.

There's a lot of value in lower range EV's and second hand models, but you will lost the advantage quickly if you spend every day trying to find a charge point.

There's a lot of charge points around my area, I'm renting in Leopardstown at the moment so it isn't too bad. However, a decent range would be nice. 24kwh seems a bit tight since I would like to be able to drive home with only one stop if possible.

30kwh seems more suitable, but getting one at 10k might be tricky.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Consonata wrote: »
    There's a lot of charge points around my area, I'm renting in Leopardstown at the moment so it isn't too bad. However, a decent range would be nice. 24kwh seems a bit tight since I would like to be able to drive home with only one stop if possible.

30kwh seems more suitable, but getting one at 10k might be tricky.

You won’t be able to do the 380km trip in a leaf 24. You won’t make it there either. You’ll have to stop and charge on that 190 journey at least twice and assume you’ll have charging at the destination to get you going back home for the return journey.

You won’t get a 30 kWh for €10k but here’s one a fellow boardsie is selling - https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26822464

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just make sure you are aware you will be restricted to automatics always but that’s the only drawback

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gael23 wrote: »
    Just make sure you are aware you will be restricted to automatics always but that’s the only drawback

True but with the shift to EV, and PHEV, most new cars going forward will be auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

On your budget ev isn't realistic given the distances you need to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

Gael23 wrote: »

That's assuming the OP does not already have a full licence acquired based on driving a manual car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

Lantus wrote: »
    On your budget ev isn't realistic given the distances you need to cover.

+1

Sorry, OP, it's not a runner on your budget.

The next best option is the 28kWh Ioniq but you'll have to spend several thousand more and under certain driving conditions (wind/rain/cold) will still need to stop on each 190km journey to top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, 190Km is a push for a €10k E.V. - for that range you'd get away with a BMW i3 94ah with Rex (start annoying Mad Lad on this forum, he's forever talking about getting rid of his and moving up) - but even then you're looking at near double your price range.

And as Liamog pointed out, you can never rely on public chargers. Ideally you have a home charger installed - it's not very expensive especially as you get a grant for it, it's the cheapest way to run almost any car, and it's a guaranteed place to charge. Relying on public chargers is more expensive (still cheaper than petrol/diesel) but means hoping there's space for you, and that you don;t end up paying parking charges as well - let alone annoying other EV users if you're hogging a space while car is not in use.

Still though, initial point I made stands. As a 1st car and just for your work commute EV is perfect, easier than an ICE to drive, less maintenance, cheaper to run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

OP, do you already have a full driving licence? Have you got a confirmed insurance quote? Do you really need a car during lockdown?

Can you get a home charge point installed? If you are renting you need landlord permission, to apply for grant, then put probably 1000 up front and claim 600 back.

With a 60km daily commute can you not move closer? Really a 24kWh leaf is only suitable as a second car. Long distance trips are dodgy as many chargers are busy, broken and blocked, and many are the slow 4 hour type.

I would do the sums compared to a cheap to insure car such as a 1.0L less than 10 year old small car. It probably makes more sense to go petrol with a short commute and renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Consonata

Patser wrote: »
    Yep, 190Km is a push for a €10k E.V. - for that range you'd get away with a BMW i3 94ah with Rex (start annoying Mad Lad on this forum, he's forever talking about getting rid of his and moving up) - but even then you're looking at near double your price range.

And as Liamog pointed out, you can never rely on public chargers. Ideally you have a home charger installed - it's not very expensive especially as you get a grant for it, it's the cheapest way to run almost any car, and it's a guaranteed place to charge. Relying on public chargers is more expensive (still cheaper than petrol/diesel) but means hoping there's space for you, and that you don;t end up paying parking charges as well - let alone annoying other EV users if you're hogging a space while car is not in use.

Still though, initial point I made stands. As a 1st car and just for your work commute EV is perfect, easier than an ICE to drive, less maintenance, cheaper to run

Yeah, I wouldn't mind stopping once on the journey, twice would be a bit of an ask.

It does seem like that it may push out of my 10k budget, in which case I'll need to revisit and see if its cheaper to either go for a cheaper ICE or a slightly more expensive EV. My major push factor from an ICE car was expense largely because of fuel and they are more expensive to insure vs an EV, and I'd sooner have the cost done upfront.

I've spoken with my landlord already and they have no issue with fitting a home charge point, which is something at least. At the moment I'll probably start looking at 30kwh Leafs becuase that's probably the closest thing to my price range as of now.

Thanks so much to everyone for their advice, its been incredibly useful. If anybody has any suggestions, do drop them in though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Vauxhall ampera plug in hybrid, I do like the look of them, to my knowledge they would do 50 to 60 km on a charge.

The bad, only 4 seats, no dealer network, and a 1.4 litre petrol which should do your 190km trip for about 20 euro.

There is a thread on them, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920829, last post was for 2 cars for sale for around your budget.

Good luck.

Advertisement