Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pregnant and alone update

• 27-02-2021 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Hope everyone is keeping well during this seemingly endless lockdown.

I started a thread back in September having just found out I'm pregnant. The father of the baby moved out of our apartment days later and is still living in a flatshare. He hates living there and bitches about it all the time but that's a different story.

As I waddle into my third trimester, I was hoping to hear any advice or opinions you guys might have on the current situation. I received so much guidance and support on my last thread and it really helped me at a very vulnerable time. The thread really saved me at that time and thanks again to all who replied.

The way it stands now is he decided after 3 months of zero support that he actually wants the baby. After he moved out, I called his mom one day to see if she knew i was pregnant and her thoughts. Ive only met her a few times and have always been lovely to her, brought her wine and biscuits as a thanks for having us over and got on well with her. Her reaction was shocking. She said how do i know the baby is even his. She shouted at me and said if i dare tell anyone he wanted an abortion shed come to my house and sort me out. How dare I say he wants an abortion, he is an honourable man who would never say such a thing. I was very upset after the call and havnt heard from her or anyone on his family since bar the odd text saying...glad your scan went well.

Anyway, around Christmas he decided he wants the baby and apparently his whole family are now really excited. I got a random text the other night from his mom saying hello..We are super excited about the ray of sunshine and can't wait!!! Its as if nothing bad has happened.

There have been so many horrible moments over the past few months. Too much to go into here but mostly me desperately asking for his help and him coldly saying no chance. I dont have family here and have been going through the pregnancy alone.

I guess im asking how do i handle this from here on out? For the sake of the baby id like him to have a father in his life but im so broken from all this guy has put me through.

He is a coke addict too so very sneaky by nature of that and he lies about things so i have zero trust in him.

Any thoughts very welcome and thanks for reading if you got this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Here's my take on his mother.....her golden boy can do no wrong...classic irish mammy!

It's easier to blame you for everything than to acknowledge she may have raised an ar*ehole!

When it comes to abortion I think alot of people maybe prochoice on the surface, when it has nothing really to do with them, but the idea that their grandchild might be aborted doesn't sit well with them and that their child's first reaction to a pregnancy is to suggest an abortion really doesn't sit well with them.....if that makes sense.

Raising a child is really hard, especially in the first few months when they are so dependent on you...it gets easier the more sleep you get.

My sister is a single mum, she said it was easier after he left as then she knew she was on her own and planned accordingly. When he was on the scene she was constantly "dragging" him along too...he wasn't proactive needed to be nagged to do anything...ask him to get milk he'd return 3 days later after being on a massive bender all housekeeping money spent......she really had a hard time, but also had a couple of kids with him.....for the most part he stayed out of their lives....now the kids are adults he's back like a bad feckin smell...though to be fair the eldest child is the one driving that relationship...the mind boggles.

So from seeing that scenario play out i would advise to plan like you are single and doing it alone.

He has shown that he's not dependable and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a child in his care if he's taking drugs.

I wouldn't let him move back in as it just sounds like his flatshare is not working, if it was working he wouldn't be sniffing around. ...I might be wrong.

If he wants to see the child let him come over for the afternoon and you can use the time to have a long shower, maybe do some batch cooking for the week, catch up on chores etc whatever makes your life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a friend in a similar situation who got someone pregnant he shouldn't have. What he did is brought it to the courts and got mediation so that they have shared custody. They do not get along so this way it's all above board. This allows them to do what's best for the kid.
    Just try and keep emotions and drama away from the kid whatever you do, that messes people up for life.
    I've seen you post about your alcohol problems before, you really need to keep a lid on that no matter what, only he can sort his own addiction problems.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Thanks Princess. His mam thinks the sun shines out of his ass. Asking if it's his was insulting enough but to then get so angry when i said im sure you're aware he has moved out as i wouldn't agree to an abortion. Her tone changed completely and she essentially called me a liar. He wouldn't dream of suggesting that...yeah, i agree, demanding is more apt! I remember feeling so much shame at being pregnant.
    I know that call was months ago and i should let it go but i just cant stop feeling hurt over it. I also think if my parents were here today things would have been handled so differently. I dont think they would have treated me as badly.

I feel the same way about the flatshare and change of mind. At first he moved in with his mates and there was zero chance of him helping or being there for the child. He moves into a houseshare he hates and a few weeks later suggests coming back. Its also really insensitive to sit with me in the apartment we once shared talking about how he hates his new place.
    Maybe im overly sensitive though, i dont know but everything he says seems to hurt me.

Im sorry your sister went through that. She sounds like a strong woman and im glad her child is calling the shots with the dad now.

Lately he's been offering loads of support and checks in with me every day to see how i am. He is being really nice and its confusing. Part of me wants to forgive and forget and move on for the baby but another part just feels this anger and resentment towards him. He left me here with a broken lease and all the bills pregnant and scared. He has caused me so much stress and anxiety that i cant seem to let go of.

One of my sisters keeps saying cut him out completely. She refuses to even talk about him. She doesn't want his name mentioned.
    The other is telling me to accept his help and move on and quit living in the past. He's being helpful now so better late than never but i feel torn. Sometimes the damage is too deep and its unforgivable.

Ugh. Head is melted with this.

Porklife wrote: »

One of my sisters keeps saying cut him out completely. She refuses to even talk about him. She doesn't want his name mentioned.
    The other is telling me to accept his help and move on and quit living in the past. He's being helpful now so better late than never but i feel torn. Sometimes the damage is too deep and its unforgivable.

Ugh. Head is melted with this.

I think you need to start thinking about yourself as two people :)

If we ignore the pregnancy for a minute and your boyfriend acted the way he did over some other issue , massive fights, moving out etc would you as "single porkie" take him back , would you think your good times out weigh the bad etc. Or would "single porkie" think, jesus I've had a lucky escape.

Then we move onto "mammy porkie" I don't think mammy porkie can really cut him out as he is the father and does have rights and all that jazz. The guy is potentially going to be in your life forever and you need to figure out how you work that.

Now we have to merge the two porkies :)

You don't have to make any decision here and now.

I'd be of the mindset of sister #2 take his help......that doesn't mean he moves back in or you get back together unless it's something you want.

Right now your body is operating on about 90% hormones I wouldn't be making massive decisions until about 6 months after the birth at a minimum. If you want to give it another go, take it slow he doesn't need to be living with you to have a relationship. Be clear on your boundaries.

As for the "in laws" you have no idea what he was saying about you when you weren't around. Their reaction wasn't great, but I know of alot of parents who react very negatively when they are told....not everyone had the youtube insta happy reveal etc. :) Again your child is related to these people so you need to find a way to move forward as they will be in their life etc.

The one thing I will say is do not be the reason your child doesn't see their dad/dad's family. From your own ego or out of vengeance or whatever as the child will ask more probing questions as they get older and you need to be able to look at the child in the eye and not jeapordise your relationship........ obviously that doesn't apply if your child is getting let down on a continuous basis and it's in their best interest to cut ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm with the sister who says cut him out. I'd go further and say move away before the baby is born. You need a new life for you and the baby, away from the gaslighting drug addict and his horrible family. If you wait until the baby is born he can ask a court to stop you moving abroad or far from him if he doesn't drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

My sister gave birth 17 years ago to my first nephew , the light of our lives. She raised him on his own (along with help from our parents and family) She had to fight every step of the way with the "father" who didn't want to know , he did eventually pay maintenance and put his name on the birth cert. I know your situation is slightly different but my sister is thankful everyday that he was not involved in the rearing of her son as it would cause unnecessary heartache, fighting, arguing etc.

So from reading above you have the support of at least one sister. I know it will be tough but this guy I don't think will be good for you and your baby. Can you trust him if you leave him back into your life, if he gets fed up will he walk out again.
    I'm wishing you every best wish to you and your baby .

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm with the sister who says cut him out. I'd go further and say move away before the baby is born. You need a new life for you and the baby, away from the gaslighting drug addict and his horrible family. If you wait until the baby is born he can ask a court to stop you moving abroad or far from him if he doesn't drive.

Move where though?

If memory serves the op is in late 30's with well paid job. If she handed in her notice tomorrow there goes her paid maternity leave....I don't know how the state benefits would work.

She's in her third trimester will an airline take her?

Will she then have to spend her maternity leave looking for a new job/new place to live etc.

Let's not forget the slight issue of a global pandemic.

I'm not saying the boyfriend sounds like father of the year, but at least here she has a job and roof over her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I can't remember the specifics of the last thread and PI/RI threads aren't listed under a user's posts.

You don't have to move far to get away. Just somewhere her ex doesn't know she is. If going overseas then ferries are running? Most people are working remotely now so location isn't as important as it used to be.

I don't believe that a bad father is better than no father. He and his family will continue to make the OP's life hell if she doesn't get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I think you should keep him at a distance but informed of the general progress of the pregnancy and when the baby is born. You owe him nothing and really don't need to be his emotional support while he's bitching about his crappy houseshare.

I wouldn't communicate with his mother at all tbh. I know the type, thinks the sun shines out of her useless son's backside. Let him pass on info to her as he sees fit. She'll only stress you out and annoy you and that's the last thing you need at the moment.

When you have the baby you'll be at your most vulnerable. Do not let him move back in with you after the post baby hormone rush when it might seem like a good idea even though you know it's not. Probably best to have one of your sisters there with you for the actual birth for support.

If he's interested you should let him regularly see the child. When the baby is small, probably best that it's supervised, especially given the drugs link. Make sure he pays his way also, probably best to get that sorted out legally if he's as flakey as he appears.

Thank you so much for the replies. Every insight helps (said in the voice of a tesco advert:p)

As a single porkie I would run a mile if somebody treated me as he did. If we take the baby out of the equation, I could never unsee his true colours. His reaction to our first major hurdle was to shame, blame and abandon me, there's no coming back from that.
    Pregnant porkie feels the same way but has little sausage to think about. I wish I could find it in my heart to forgive him and to understand why he did what he did but i can't.
    It was hit after hit after hit. Breaking the lease and moving out leaving me to sit down with the landlord to renegotiate rent was unbelievable. My landlord was lovely thankfully but it could have resulted in my having to move to a bedsit alone.
    He makes comments all the time too like let's not get too excited just yet..you drank alot so the baby could be deformed for all we know. He also talked about stillbirth statistics to me. Its like he tried every trick in the book up to 12 weeks to make me feel so isolated id cave and have an abortion. Then he switched to telling me id have no support from him or his family and how hard life is for single moms. He sucked all the joy from this pregnancy like its a disease i caught and tried to make him pay for my medication.

Now hes suddenly really caring and nice. His mom is texting about the ray of sunshine...whatever..the same ray of sunshine you assumed was some random guys cos im such a tart :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Ugh, my blood is boiling here reading that. Having to face that treatment while pregnant with no family around is just unbelievable and my heart goes out to you. If you were my sister, he would be the one with a visitor to the house to sort HIM out. And of course he knows your alone and is taking full advantage.

Fwiw the best decision my mother ever made for me and my sisters was to cut our alcoholic father out of our lives completely. And this fella sounds similar to him. He's just going to let you and your child down, repeatedly, and it will be less painful overall to just draw the line sooner rather than later. Of course, that's easy for me to say as I don't have to be the one dealing with him and his psycho family. But do you want your child being partially raised by those crazies, do you want him and the nutjob mother in your life forever?

You're being set up for a lifetime of torture from these monsters, which you will have to endure on top of raising the child basically by yourself. I'd move back to be closer to my family, anything to get away from them and save my baby from being poisoned by that crowd.

I think you have your answer so.

The relationship between the two of you is over. Decision number 1 is made.

I think jellyandicecreams advice is bang on.....keep everyone at a distance.

Your not in a relationship anymore so you don't have to listen to his sh*te

Until the baby is born you really don't know what he will be like as a dad. He may surprise you. As I said if he wants allow afternoon visits, you can do your chores etc...they are supervised without you saying you'll only allow supervised visits :)

If he's turning up wasted or causing problems block the visits, keep a log etc encase he fights for access.

Be prepared that he'll be out of your life before the baby is one.

As for the baby itself, our parents generation all drank when pregnant. I'm sure you've read the literature and talked to your gp, don't be worrying about what might be. He was being extremely callous saying those things.

Enjoy the final stages of your pregnancy. Try to get as much rest as you can and have the apartment ready. If you can have some premade dinners in the freezer for the first few weeks. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Jesus.

I'll be honest, I was thinking hmm, yeah, difficult family, maybe something could be worked out and then you got to the coke addict bit and a big alarm went off in my head.

How do YOU feel OP.I know you aren't a parent in person, so to speak yet, but are you comfortable with the idea of his family being involved with your child.I admit myself I would not be happy with a someone who has a drug problem potentially getting to look after my kid.

Mammy clearly thinks her son can do no wrong...the Irish mammy syndrome.Now if she already thinks the child will be a ray of sunshine, I would run a mile from that.Keep them at arm's length. Bottom line is the child's dad here though....myself I would keep him informed, maybe supervised visits but no way would I be leaving the baby with him or the family.Try and get ome of your family there for the birth if you can, and maybe the weeks afterwards, or do you hve friends for support (the hormomes and exhaustion will hit you like a freight train around day 3/4, so try to have someome around the help you).

This will be tough OP, but it will be tougher if you leave yourself open to emotional manipulation from this crowd.Tread carefully, I wouldn't rely on him for anything.

Imagine the experience you should have been having with this pregnancy. Your partner in life should be support you. Love you. Put you first. Instead, he wanted to make it go away, regardless of the emotional or spiritual damage it could have caused you. That’s not love. He had no regard for your feelings, or for your hopes and dreams. What can he realistically offer you now? I think you should look towards a future without him as far as possible. Prioritise yourself and your new baby.

Thank you all so much, your advice and kindness is invaluable to me and really appreciated.

My alcohol issue..well, i stopped drinking the minute i found out i was pregnant. I hit 30 days sober for the first time in years. It wasn't that i was a fall down drunk alcoholic, its that if i started drinking i found it hard or impossible to stop. I was a binge drinker. Thankfully drugs have never been my thing but he was/is/who knows/cares doing coke even on work nights.
    I didn't know the extent of it until we started living together cos he downplayed it. He told me he did it on special occasions but he'd have nosebleeds regularly and i started finding bags in the laundry basket and straws with power behind books.
    He lies very easily too albeit not convincingly, stupid lies about nothing and that concerns me.

Sad part is my excitement for my little guy has been squashed. I can barely feel joy without bursting into tears moments later. I want my child to be happy and loved and its so hard to know what to do.

My parents are dead unfortunately and i dont have family here and i truly believe him and his family have treated me so badly because of that. Im alone and they knew they could trample all over me. My dad would have kicked his ass:(

I just feel so sad all the time. I feel ashamed and guilty too. Im doing councelling once a fortnight by phone and its helping but no real progress is being made cos im as upset as i was 6 months ago:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

He has revealed himself to be a vile individual and his mother seems to be more of the same. What he said and did to you shows that he has no respect for you whatsoever, not as a person and not as a mother of his child. There is nothing he can do to cover it up now, this relationship as well as his nature is toxic to the core.

I would definitely go it alone then, as hard as it might be. Don't involve them and give them only as much access as required, otherwise they might start fighting you for custody etc. Keep it civil but distant. Do you have any evidence of his drug addiction? You might need it if you need to prove why you don't want the baby unsupervised with him.

There is a chance they'll get bored and leave you two alone after a while too. Can you get by without maintenance? Can your sisters be of any practical help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Where do his family and him think you fit in all of this? Do you think they would try to take the baby from you? Or would they be actual support? You dont need to decide any of this right away, btw

Where do his family and him think you fit in all of this? Do you think they would try to take the baby from you? Or would they be actual support? You dont need to decide any of this right away, btw

How could they take the baby from me? I have a lovely 2 bed apartment im paying for and i will be a devoted mother. I don't see how or why anyone would try take my baby away? Sorry if I'm being overly sensitive aking but im not sure what you mean. I think they'd be support on their terms if it suited them and if it outwardly made them look good. I don't think they'd be a genuine support to me. I'm surplus to requirements for them. They want a grandchild but couldn't care less about my wellbeing.

I do have evidence of his drug addiction. He talks about it im messages with me which ive screenshots of and ive also exported our entire whatsapp history to gmail backup.
    I have photos of cut up straws and messages of me asking...What the hell is this etc.
    Its not something he denies or can deny thankfully.

Porklife wrote: »

I just feel so sad all the time. I feel ashamed and guilty too. Im doing councelling once a fortnight by phone and its helping but no real progress is being made cos im as upset as i was 6 months ago:(

Well you have a fair bit to be sad about.

You need to ease up on yourself. You've done absolutely nothing wrong. The days of being ashamed for getting pregnant are long gone, don't go down that path.

There is a condition called prenatal depression, it might be no harm to talk to your gp about it, but you know you're dealing with alot!!!

Worrying about your child is also perfectly normal. He is going to be fine . The fact that you are on her worrying and asking questions illustrates that you are all ready a great mum and protector.

It's alot of hard work but it is worth it.

Just try to have a decent stockpile of everything in before the arrival as getting out in the first few weeks can be difficult without a pandemic.

Take it easy on yourself, every parent has fears/worries and doubts themselves xx

Eibh1982 wrote: »
    Imagine the experience you should have been having with this pregnancy. Your partner in life should be support you. Love you. Put you first. Instead, he wanted to make it go away, regardless of the emotional or spiritual damage it could have caused you. That’s not love. He had no regard for your feelings, or for your hopes and dreams. What can he realistically offer you now? I think you should look towards a future without him as far as possible. Prioritise yourself and your new baby.

This post broke my heart. It's exactly how I feel. When I first found out I was pregant I was shocked but there was underlying happiness and a sense of immediate love for my baby. I knew it was my baby and there was no way I was ever going to have an abortion. He stood in front of me pointing his finger at me.. it's a bunch of useless cells.. its not real.. you couldnt care.. it's not real.. stop acting attached to a bunch of cells. I remember screaming back in tears.. it's not a bunch of cells to me!! Its my baby.

I am so sad I feel like i#ll ever get over what could have been. I keep thinking how differently it could have been. There was never any need for this amount of pain and anxiety. This poor little kid hasn't done a thing wrong and as his mother i'm crying every day and letting him down. I hate my ex for that and will never forgive him. Ever. I hate being this angry but I actually hate him so much. I don't know how to get past it. Councelling is helpful but not ultimately not a magic wand. I hate him and that's just how it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I think you should keep him at a distance but informed of the general progress of the pregnancy and when the baby is born. You owe him nothing and really don't need to be his emotional support while he's bitching about his crappy houseshare.

I wouldn't communicate with his mother at all tbh. I know the type, thinks the sun shines out of her useless son's backside. Let him pass on info to her as he sees fit. She'll only stress you out and annoy you and that's the last thing you need at the moment.

When you have the baby you'll be at your most vulnerable. Do not let him move back in with you after the post baby hormone rush when it might seem like a good idea even though you know it's not. Probably best to have one of your sisters there with you for the actual birth for support.

If he's interested you should let him regularly see the child. When the baby is small, probably best that it's supervised, especially given the drugs link. Make sure he pays his way also, probably best to get that sorted out legally if he's as flakey as he appears.

This is all absolutely spot on.

The most important thing you need to do right now is establish boundaries. Your ex sounds horrible, and although he is being a total d!ck, he is still a biological connection to your kid and has rights. I think keeping all the contact to a minimum before the birth is a great idea. Otherwise he will try to worm his way back in. You should also be financially supported by him so you could get him to agree to setting up a direct debit now or else get the court system involved. They also offer mediation services.

How are your finances? Could you stretch to hiring a doula for a short time after birth? Or even just establish a relationship with a childminder now to come to your home and help you for a couple of hours every day to let you nap, shower or eat. Jelly and Icecream is so right in saying that you will be so vulnerable after the birth. If you think you are hormonal now, you will get a shock then! You will not be thinking rationally at all so try to create some sort of plan now, even for the first month, around specific days for childcare and specific times for your ex to visit.

I would absolutely supervise all his visits and would be in no rush for his family to meet the baby until you settle into parenting a bit more. It is heartbreaking but I would agree with the other posters who say you need to consider yourself as a single parent because you will be consistently let down by this guy.

Have you got many friends local to you? I know it is a terrible time now for meeting new mams, but maybe look into your local parent and toddler groups. Ciudiu are a great parenting support organisation with lots of groups (new mams, breastfeeding groups, playgroups, coffee mornings etc.) and a lot of them have moved online, with smaller Whatsapp groups locally. It would be great for you to surround yourself with other new mams so that you don't find yourself relying on your ex at all. As someone who struggled with mental health issues after their first child, I think this sort of support is SO important.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well I think that should tell you everything really OP.

There is one thing to remember here.I hate to say this because it sounds like I am dismissing your feelings but I am not... but you are literally a bundle of hormones right now.I never took much notice of the idea of hormones, but four days after the birth of my first baby.....they hit.And wow.Hormones in pregnancy are huge.The other thing is that (and I speak as a mother here)....get that baby in your arms and your world will turn on its head.You already love it.When it is here....I cannot describe the feeling.I think it will bring a clarity to your decision making that you can't quite see now.As a mother, the instinct to protect your child is incredibly strong and I suspect you will be guided by that.

Also every parent feels guilt, doubt, worry.Your child will be loved and have faith that you are enough.You are.You can build a life with this baby and it will be happy and loved.I think right now instead of trying to solve it all just maybe decide to keep your ex and his family way out at arm's length, and concentrate on getting yourself through to 40 weeks.Give yourself time and go easy on yourself.

I feel so much stronger having just posted here. It's amazing the support you guys offer. Taking everything on board and so grateful to every poster.
    I need to start kickboxing or something once my belly isn't so big to unleash all the anger, that's the hardest part really, feeling hard done by. It's very counter productive because while it's healthy to recognise you've been wronged, dwelling on it makes you bitter and ultimately the unhappy one who needs to 'let it go' and 'get over it, he said he wants it now :rolleyes:'.
    People get sick of hearing you harping on about the same old things but if theyre unresloved it's very hard to climb over them. I just want someone to care about this little baby as much as I do and I hate his famly for making me feel like an outcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I think accept that you'll be a single parent to this baby with maybe occasional visits etc from the dad but as it stands he doesn't sound like great father material unless some miracle happens.

A lot of mother's, not just Irish ones:), are like that. The son can do no wrong.

I'm sorry her response initially was so horrible.
    While she is the future grandmother, it's your decision who you let into this child's life overall.
    Thanks for the update and best of luck.

I'm a single mom too who split up with dad while pregnant. There wasn't any drama involved but I too had a boy. Honestly, once you have your little fella, you'll get like a mystic revelation that you are this little guy's whole life and that noone should ever treat him or his mom like anything other than with idolisation.
    The only advice I can offer is- do not let that child sleep over in a house share where your ex could be doing drugs and you not there to supervise.
    Dad can see the baby at your house, under your terms, if you decide that's safe.
    Set down very clear boundaries early. I can't stress that enough.
    Don't let him or his family waltz into your family home like they have a right.
    When granny does come crawling back, the first thing I'd suggest doing is telling her that her communication with the mother of her grandchild was disgusting and you demand an apology for it. And that if she ever dares to disrespect you or your child again, she will feel your wrath.
    You need to establish very firm ground rules and boundaries from day 1 no matter what you decide.
    Long term could you move home to near your sisters?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭heretothere

Sorry to hear that the pregnancy has been tarnished by his reactions. I don't have kids but I'd imagine once you have the baby in your arms the pregnancy hopefully won't matter as much, even though I'm sure you'd have loved it to be a time you could have shared with him.

You say your sisters don't live "here" is that your city? Could one of them come for the birth? Even from somewhere in Europe could hopefully be possible in a few months. Or a really good friend. I know if my friend was going through something like this alone I'd be honoured to be asked. A friend from the USA had her baby here with no family and very few friends. I brought her to some appointments. Not the same situation at all though because she did have her oh here

I'm a single mom too who split up with dad while pregnant. There wasn't any drama involved but I too had a boy. Honestly, once you have your little fella, you'll get like a mystic revelation that you are this little guy's whole life and that noone should ever treat him or his mom like anything other than with idolisation.
    The only advice I can offer is- do not let that child sleep over in a house share where your ex could be doing drugs and you not there to supervise.
    Dad can see the baby at your house, under your terms, if you decide that's safe.
    Set down very clear boundaries early. I can't stress that enough.
    Don't let him or his family waltz into your family home like they have a right.
    When granny does come crawling back, the first thing I'd suggest doing is telling her that her communication with the mother of her grandchild was disgusting and you demand an apology for it. And that if she ever dares to disrespect you or your child again, she will feel your wrath.
    You need to establish very firm ground rules and boundaries from day 1 no matter what you decide.
    Long term could you move home to near your sisters?

Amazing advice and really made me smile. I got this image of his stupid bitch mom crawling to my door and me slamming it in her face:)

My sister lives in Australia so unfortunately moving close to her is not an option. My other sister lives in Germany but her view on this is very much let him back in, you'll need all the help you can get, use him etcetc. I can't do that.
    I can't look past how I've been treated and by default how my little guy has been treated.

I'm a strong woman and will do everything in my power to rise above it and be a good mother despite feeling like a piece of **** right now.
    I will not let my integrity be compromised or my emotions manipulated. If anyone is gonna tear me down its gonna be me. I won't let them destroy me any further.

Ray of sunshine my arse. Id like to take this ray of sunshine and strangle her with it!

Thanks again folks. It's unreal how helpful posting here is and the perspective and advice given by people. Ive been on boards for years and just think its fantastic support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

If you felt like you need some support while pregnant, in labour or post natal, you could look at hiring the services of a doula. If you have health insurance, some policies cover the cost. You sound in a better place, good luck with everything. your baby is lucky to have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

That’s flat out emotional abuse. Your ex sounds like a bully and his mother no better. And I agree with others that this will become very glaringly obvious once your baby is here.

It sounds like you’ve had a lot of trauma in your life Porklife and I know it must be so hard to be going through pregnancy without your parents or a partner. This child deserves the world now so it might help to think of him as a new start and a new standard in terms of what type of behaviour you’re willing to tolerate and what is an absolute dealbreaker. Your drug dealing ex with his gaslighting ways might have had the power to hurt you, but should never hurt or disappoint this innocent child as well. I agree with the advice from Singlemommy - create some very firm boundaries now to get ahead of him and his mum bullying you once he’s been born.

And I agree wholeheartedly about getting an apology from his mother. Maybe you don’t feel up to it now and that’s totally fine. But once you’re ready to deal with her, be damn sure to call out her incredibly heartless and disgusting treatment of you when you first approached her and be very clear that it won’t be glossed over just because she’s changed her tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Sounds like youre hurt by his three months of denial. But isnt it wonderful that he's come round now and he wants to be there to support the baby? People are flawed and he is no different. some time people make bad decisions. other times they make good decisions slowly. And clearly it was scary for you to be facing this alone. Maybe is a time to feel grateful and look towards a bright future and think about how you can be your best self for you child and maybe you'll patch things up with the father. Maybe you wont. Bu either way your life will go on and new things will unfold. Just take it day by day and try to make preparations as best you can for your and the babies future. The hard part is often the not knowing. Not knowing to what extent he will be part of it. but thats ok too that we dont always know everything straight away. the answers will come.

Advertisement