Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

• 25-02-2021 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about Guinness Surger availability? Have seen videos of lads creating perfect pints at home using surger cans and ultrasonic jewelry cleaners as the activator. The official surgers were apparently 15 quid back in the day but are now going for 200 odd on eBay.

To be honest, I'd never even heard of the things but a bit of googling suggested they gave it up in 2009 and everything was discontinued. However Beershark has an ad for a 24 pack of "new stock". Can't find anything official about it being reintroduced but seems like plenty of people are getting their hands on it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It still exists in the UK. Beershark is UK company.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Anyone know anything about Guinness Surger availability? Have seen videos of lads creating perfect pints at home using surger cans and ultrasonic jewelry cleaners as the activator. The official surgers were apparently 15 quid back in the day but are now going for 200 odd on eBay.

To be honest, I'd never even heard of the things but a bit of googling suggested they gave it up in 2009 and everything was discontinued. However Beershark has an ad for a 24 pack of "new stock". Can't find anything official about it being reintroduced but seems like plenty of people are getting their hands on it.

This off licence in Armagh are selling them according to their insta.

https://www.instagram.com/firstandlastofflicence/

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

First & Last in Jonesborough have both it and the surger unit .

If anyone decides to go I'd love to get some ..

2020 was the year for a product like that.

Sadly even if you get a surger unit, the cans are only available in the UK.

Youd wonder if they have reassessed 2020 and are looking into getting a proper draught experience to the home customer.

I know you can look into a tap set up yourself, but it's not straight forward and a keg for one person isnt practicable to get through anyway.

I'd invest a couple of 100 into a system that dispensed, say a 25 litre key, through some easy to use/store/set up tap system.

Please let something like this come for 2021.... all I'm really missing these days is a proper pint.

Guiness is the one company that could shift a home system, hopefully they're working on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Invincible

sharkman wrote: »
    First & Last in Jonesborough have both it and the surger unit .

If anyone decides to go I'd love to get some ..

There's a couple of couriers mentioned on home bars page they are bringing them down from North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Invincible wrote: »
    There's a couple of couriers mentioned on home bars page they are bringing them down from North.

Any chance of a link please .

Any chance of a link please .

North Dublin suit you?

Pm sent.

Some bought the ultrasonic jewellery cleaner in Lidl or Amazon, about 5 seconds activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I see the_slainte_surger are selling them now on Instagram.

Very very expensive at €150 for their version of the surger unit (repurposed jewelry cleaner??) and 10 cans.

Seems they will be delivering the cans at €3 a pop as well on an ongoing basis. It's a mad price but I've wanted one of these for years, and it's payday, so I pulled the trigger!

I'll report back next week. It would really want to be like sitting in Grogans for that money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Do normal cans of Guinness work with these? I saw a video of a guy using the widget Guinness and it went all over the place but what about those cans of Guinness 440ml in the 24 pack they are selling that dont have the draught widget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely believe this is a gimmick and with a blind taste test you wouldn't tell the difference between it and standard widget can decently poured

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Do normal cans of Guinness work with these?
    Not the carbonated ones, "Guinness Original" or whatever they're calling it this week. You need nitrogenated but no widget.
    Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    what about those cans of Guinness 440ml in the 24 pack they are selling that dont have the draught widget
    I think they do, it's just attached to the can instead of free-floating.
    listermint wrote: »
    Genuinely believe this is a gimmick and with a blind taste test you wouldn't tell the difference between it and standard widget can decently poured
    It must serve some purpose because they use it in the on-trade as an alternative to nitrokeg. I can't see how it would be different to normal Draught cans though.

Ha, that's the exact one, thank you sir! Coming in at €54.02 delivered. So a saving of €70, thanks!!

Pm sent.

Hi there, any chance of a PM as well please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not the carbonated ones, "Guinness Original" or whatever they're calling it this week. You need nitrogenated but no widget.

I think they do, it's just attached to the can instead of free-floating.

It must serve some purpose because they use it in the on-trade as an alternative to nitrokeg. I can't see how it would be different to normal Draught cans though.

No keg requires i.e that cost is gone plus the peripherals and all that line cleaning all gone. But this yolks still makes it look like they're making your pint rather than serving from a can.

It's showmanship I suppose you could say which when you think about so is the two part pour.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi there, any chance of a PM as well please :D

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kylemhunt1234

Anyone looking i can get them message me

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

PM sent.

can you send on details please

Waesfjord wrote: »
    can you send on details please

Message Kyle, poster before you, he'll sort you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I saw a thing there, where the surger is just an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner, which is currently in LIDL for €25.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Responded to my Query on the 26th of Feb
    Dear Mr,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Guinness Surger. It is always good to hear from our loyal Guinness consumers. We are delighted to receive any feedback on our products and communications, as it keeps us in touch with the people that matter

Guinness Surger is still used in a limited number of select pubs and clubs throughout Great Britain however they are no longer made for general resale.

As the units are not available for the public to buy, it would be mainly wholesalers who distribute to trade that would hold the cans in stock. Unfortunately as the surgers are not used in bars in Ireland there is no demand for the cans and we do not distribute surger cans on the island of Ireland.

My best suggestion would be to try online, www.drinksdirect.co.uk have sold the units in the past and they are also available on Amazon however we are in no way affiliated with these sites.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We hope you continue to enjoy Guinness and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
    Diageo Consumer Relations

Well there is certainly a demand here in Ireland now . Guinness may get cracking on this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There's an offy in Omagh stocking the surger cans now.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3667476183348508&id=1171025806326904

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd invest a couple of 100 into a system that dispensed, say a 25 litre key, through some easy to use/store/set up tap system.

Please let something like this come for 2021.... all I'm really missing these days is a proper pint.

There are mini nitro kegs that you charge with nitro bulbs or mini-canisters. Cafe’s use then for nitro coffee. But hone stout is an option too.

https://www.ikegger.com/products/cold-brew-coffee-keg-nitro-coffee-kegs-cocktail-kegs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I live in Barcelona. Just took delivery of 48 cans, official surger and 6 official pint glasses. 144 euro. Pretty happy with that.

Not so happy that I bought 4 pint glasses last week in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

I live in Barcelona. Just took delivery of 48 cans, official surger and 6 official pint glasses. 144 euro. Pretty happy with that.

Not so happy that I bought 4 pint glasses last week in preparation.

How are where did you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Slashs hat wrote: »
    How are where did you get that?

How? I bought it.

Where? A booze distributor over here.

How? I bought it.

Where? A booze distributor over here.

You wouldn’t be able to source another one for me?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You wouldn’t be able to source another one for me?

Are you also in Barcelona? You may have missed that bit of the post!

L1011 wrote: »
    Are you also in Barcelona? You may have missed that bit of the post!

Have you heard of the postal service?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you heard of the postal service?

You would be liable for customs duty, if even allowed pay it without a licence; as well as very significant shipping for that weight.

Get it from one of the NI sources.

And anyway, it would seem that the Spanish post are not currently doing parcels outside of Iberia (Spain/Portugal/Andorra) going on their website; and couriers won't take liquids.

Advertisement