Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

• 26-02-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭

I hardly ever start threads on boards but this morning I saw the following story on the RTÉ app

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0226/1199464-direct-provision/

This new system to accommodate asylum seekers has been announced today

Looks very ambitious and VERY generous

This is in the context of our neighbour GB going its own way regarding immigration and if anything bringing in stricter immigration laws.

It seems we in Ireland - now the main English speaking country in the EU - are going the other direction and becoming even more open and more generous to asylum seekers?

Along with being eligible to obtain employment after 6 months and a number of other entitlements the main thing that stood out to me was the following

“The plan says after their first four months in Ireland, people whose protection claims are still being processed will move to accommodation in the community.”

“It says this will be own-door or own-room accommodation, for which they will pay a means-tested rent.”

“All accommodation will be own-door, self-contained houses or apartments for families to provide privacy, agency and independence.”

Single people will be housed in either own-door or own-room accommodation.”

Wow, very generous indeed.

The NGOs and lobbyists in the “migrant sector” must love all this?!

Minister Roderick o Gorman and this Govt must be their new best buddies.

I have a few questions...

How much will it all cost?

To me it looks extremely expensive?

Where will these “own door” houses be?

Are they built as yet?

The plan says that if Mickey or Johnny arrives in and claims asylum, after a mere 4 months he can get his “own door” accom....

So Will the asylum seekers be jumped to the front of queue when it comes to public housing?

Will similar schemes be provided for low income people living in less than ideal circumstances often in their parents home but who would love “own door” accommodation to call their own?

What about the homeless - “own door” housing for them too?

Big pull factor for ppl to claim asylum here in Ireland rather than far less generous systems in the EU?

Will public money and resources be diverted to fund all this?

Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What a joke

Talk about opening the floodgates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0226/1199464-direct-provision/

This new system to accommodate asylum seekers has been announced today

Looks very ambitious and VERY generous

Along with being eligible to obtain employment after 6 months and a number of other entitlements the main thing that stood out to me was the following

“The plan says after their first four months in Ireland, people whose protection claims are still being processed will move to accommodation in the community.”

“It says this will be own-door or own-room accommodation, for which they will pay a means-tested rent.”

“All accommodation will be own-door, self-contained houses or apartments for families to provide privacy, agency and independence.”

Single people will be housed in either own-door or own-room accommodation.”

Wow, very generous indeed.

The NGOs and lobbyists in the “migrant sector” must love all this?!

Minister Roderick o Gorman and this Govt must be their new best buddies.

I have a few questions...

How much will it all cost? To me it looks extremely expensive? You bet!

Where will these “own door” houses be? Working class areas

So, Will the asylum seekers be jumped to the front of queue when it comes to public housing? Of course, scheme can't work otherwise

Will similar schemes be provided for low income people living in less than ideal circumstances often in the family home but who would love “own door” accommodation to call their own? Of course not

What about the homeless - “own door” housing for them too? Not a trendy enough cause

Anyone know??

See above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Without a faster, more stringent asylum process being implemented in conjunction with this it will be a disaster for taxpayers.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Without bringing in a faster, more stringent asylum process being implemented in conjunction with this it will be a disaster for taxpayers.

That was my first reaction.

And also it potentially could cause huge anger and resentment if asylum seekers are “bumped up” the list for housing - that logically means other ppl will be pushed back down the list?

Recipe for disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Without bringing in a faster, more stringent asylum process being implemented in conjunction with this it will be a disaster for taxpayers.

Since when did NGOs give a crap about the hard working taxpayer. Its gone beyond a joke now. If you were Irish , you'd be better of going to africa and get a Nigerian passport . Then come back to Ireland and get yourself an apartment in four months . Let's open the floodgates to every sponger on the planet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I'm seriously debating whether I'll go into work in the morning... Or ever again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Dubit11

What a joke

Talk about opening the floodgates.

It's FG stated policy to increase the population of the island by something like a million by 2040. They ain't doing that without opening the floodgates tbh.

Of course it's all engineers and doctors so it's all good or something...

The plan says that if Mickey or Johnny arrives in and claims asylum, after a mere 4 months he can get his “own door” accom....

So Will the asylum seekers be jumped to the front of queue when it comes to public housing?.........

Given that genuine cases are on the housing lists for years if not decades than I imagine the asylum folk are indeed being out to the front of the queue, likely won't be in the queue at all actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Dubit11 wrote: »
    It's FG stated policy to increase the population of the island by something like a million by 2040. They ain't doing that without opening the floodgates tbh.

Of course it's all engineers and doctors so it's all good or something...

No its not.

This lie las been debunked many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

If I was a local independent TD in areas where disadvantage is evident and housing lists are huge, I'd be campaigning my constituents against this and pointing the finger at saintly Roderic and the greens. This is almost a sure bet to keep your seat when the inevitable election rolls around soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭bloopy

Looks like we'll be getting our very own Donald Trump coming along in a few years.
    Along with higher rents and house prices as local councils scramble to find accommodation.

It'd be great if we had politicians who actually cared about the hard working people of Ireland instead of blow-ins

I'd sooner see a genuine asylum seeker housed over some waster who has no intention of ever working tbh who uses the excuse of disadvantage........ ie all the wasters in Dublin Inner City a stones throw from IFSC etc who's grandad became unemployed when cranes replaced dockers and no descendants worked ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

of course the parties of the left will welcome this ,the same left that is meant to represent the working class who will be most damaged by this

working class need to wake up and see what's happening to them

If I was a local independent TD in areas where disadvantage is evident and housing lists are huge, I'd be campaigning my constituents against this and pointing the finger at saintly Roderic and the greens. This is almost a sure bet to keep your seat when the inevitable election rolls around soon.

Independent politicians, either TDs or councillors are the only ones who will oppose this. It's interesting how the likes of Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein etc. seem to have almost unanimous support for all these policies. Perhaps they are more "moral" than people who aren't connected to their political parties, hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The UK will now be like France where migrants only pass through a perfectly safe country so they can get better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Wonder what Pavee Point will make of this - there won't be any traveller accomodation coming along any time soon once this policy is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

A long overdue overhaul.

I'll wait to see how it functions before commenting further. Government tends to announce great and lofty plans but the execution is dire.

But, on the surface, it's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

A long overdue overhaul.

I'll wait to see how it functions before commenting further. Government tends to announce great and lofty plans but the execution is dire.

Great news that people on the housing list for years are about to be queue jumped?

Great news that a country in dire financial straits is committing to an unsustainable white elephant programme?

Or great news that we've just turned Ireland into a honeypot for every fake asylum seeker in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

A long overdue overhaul.

How is it great news? I'm an irish citizen, and pay tax here . I haven't a hope of buying a property due to age and income. I pay way more in rent than I would on a mortgage. Now I feel far less secure in my rented accommodation news like this makes me genuinely worry about how i will house my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Irish families living in hotel rooms
    people paying huge rents and mortgages

rock up to Dublin airport with an auld story, theres a house for you, free medical, free legal aid
    would you like to study for a free degree, how about free transport, free food, sure you need some money to
    get some furniture, what about some new clothes

Oh you came here through the UK but you didnt bother claiming refugee status there, sure thats no problem
    and when you get refugee status you want to go back for holidays to visit your family, sure of course you do

what a joke of a country this is

It must be a kick in the teeth to Irish people who're paying huge rents or mortgages seeing this. Is my child gonna have to emigrate in a few years time because he can't afford a house here or there's none on the market due to polices like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Whatever about reforming the application system / process -

Aren't we just currently paying private hoteliers etc. a lot of public money to keep people in privately owned premesis for large profit, often in fairly poor conditions (not getting close to any kind of bang for buck) surely this is a positive step regardless? no?

Also ignoring the "wharrabout are homeliss" for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

bloopy wrote: »
    Looks like we'll be getting our very own Donald Trump coming along in a few years.

On boards.ie? Never

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

Aren't we just currently paying private hoteliers etc. a lot of public money to keep people in privately owned premises for large profit, often in fairly poor conditions (not getting close to any kind of bang for buck) surely this is a positive step regardless? no?

Has anybody done a costing of this? Might it be cheaper long-term to house all these people than continue to pay through the nose for the centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

May be a blessing in disguise, if they actually vet people properly and return home the economic migrants sharpish, we might see a dramatic reduction in asylum claims, thats the most optimistic view i know, not a hope can the govt provide own door accommodation to thousands every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

INTERNATIONAL PROTECTION APPLICANTS will spend no more than four months in six State-owned, not-for-profit centres before moving into their own

well that sounds like the start of a new quango with highly paid executiives who are friends of whoever is in power at the moment, and a complete black hole finance wise

Whatever about reforming the application system / process -

Aren't we just currently paying private hoteliers etc. a lot of public money to keep people in privately owned premesis for large profit, often in fairly poor conditions (not getting close to any kind of bang for buck) surely this is a positive step regardless? no?

Also ignoring the "wharrabout are homeliss" for a few minutes.

Yes, in theory that part is good. Take the money away from the private businesses running it at the moment, the money been made by some over the last 20 years is scandalous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why not set up this scheme to help the Irish homeless and not asylum seekers? This is a disgrace and will turn Ireland into the new Sweden mark my word. If this happens I suspect the National Party will become a serious political force.

Some people over 20 years on the housing list and people who just rock up on our shores will get housing ahead. As for dp centres I'm sure many Irish would love 3 meals a day provided for my the taxpayer and a room to stay in. Plenty of Irish living in hotels where they have to get takeaways every night or worse still on the street both a lot worse than dp centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Tork wrote: »
    Has anybody done a costing of this? Might it be cheaper long-term to house all these people than continue to pay through the nose for the centres?

It has to be, plus there being assets coming in to play rather than payments for services only - not to mention Aramark and other service providers getting a nice slice.

Advertisement