Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue Helicopter Questions

• 25-02-2021 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Mods Please move if this is the incorrect location.

I was out for my Covid 5 K walk and I noticed the Rescue Helicopter coming into the regional town's hospital. Before it landed it circled around the town for at least 20 minutes. Whilst on the Helipad its blade were flat out, i.e the chopper never stopped.

It looks to me like there is some operational reason why they circle the town for 20 mins or so, then land without turning off the chopper. Can anyone shed light on why they do this? Would it not make more sense to just land at hospital, turn off chopper and then when whatever they are doing is finished take off again ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rescue 118 has been using the helipad at Castlebar hospital for some night training over the past few months. Typically 4 or 5 left hand circuits followed by right hand circuits. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Helicopters away from base would normally prefer not to shutdown in case they run into technical problems starting up. Bit of a nightmare as they have to get technical support to travel to the site to get the aircraft serviceable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

6541 wrote: »
    Mods Please move if this is the incorrect location.

I was out for my Covid 5 K walk and I noticed the Rescue Helicopter coming into the regional town's hospital. Before it landed it circled around the town for at least 20 minutes. Whilst on the Helipad its blade were flat out, i.e the chopper never stopped.

It looks to me like there is some operational reason why they circle the town for 20 mins or so, then land without turning off the chopper. Can anyone shed light on why they do this? Would it not make more sense to just land at hospital, turn off chopper and then when whatever they are doing is finished take off again ?

My amateur brain always thought they were checking for wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

AFAIK they could also need the support of a fire crew on standby. So maybe in the case of this particular hospital they were just waiting on the local (probably retained) crew to assemble and respond.
    Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

If you are in Castlebar then you saw RESCUE118 based out of Sligo Airport.

Rodin wrote: »
    My amateur brain always thought they were checking for wind direction.

They do but that can be viewed by the Wescam, normally they circle to lose airspeed & altitude & then approach to land into the wind.

Rescue 118 has been using the helipad at Castlebar hospital for some night training over the past few months. Typically 4 or 5 left hand circuits followed by right hand circuits. hope this helps

NVG Flying I believe.

AFAIK they could also need the support of a fire crew on standby. So maybe in the case of this particular hospital they were just waiting on the local (probably retained) crew to assemble and respond.
    Just a thought.

Rarely needed but DFB do show up at Beaumont Woods. normally when they land on if not hanging around they wont shut down, sometimes they shut down as far as the APU or do a complete shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Psychlops wrote: »
    NVG Flying.

Did CHC get IAA permission for using NVGs?

Thought the Air Corps were the only ones using NVGs in the republic.

• Advertisement

Negative_G wrote: »
    Did CHC get IAA permission for using NVGs?

Thought the Air Corps were the only ones using NVGs in the republic.

Being trained on them is what I understand. Cool if true.

Being trained on them is what I understand. Cool if true.

Would've assumed that would be plastered all over social media if true.

Especially given the contract being renewed.

Is there any social media content to back up your thoughts?

Is there any social media content to back up your thoughts?

No. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

NVGs also require the cockpit lighting and instruments to be compatible with them so that's a matter for Sikorsky, not the IAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rescue 118 back at Castlebar tonight for more NVG training.

Seems to be something to it judging by this piece from 2018

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_transport_tourism_and_sport/submissions/2018/2018-12-05_opening-statement-shane-ross-minister-for-transport-tourism-and-sport_en.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjB9Kzwg4_vAhW5TBUIHdCKAAg4ChAWMAB6BAgIEAI&usg=AOvVaw2Ytlv7swFxR4F3PKMblg1r

IAA absolutely have oversight and ultimate approval for a private company to use NVGs within the State.

I imagine that the fall out from R116 that this new venture will be under the microscope.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Maybe they don't want to make a big deal about until they get IAA approval. Then they can show off?

Tenger wrote: »
    Maybe they don't want to make a big deal about until they get IAA approval. Then they can show off?

Probably correct. Can't afford any bad press with contract renewal coming up and the R116 report still to be published.

Would be interesting to know the spec and capability of the NVGs that were purchased.

If CHC wanted the capability to conduct NVG Ops, should it be at their own expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Of course. Modification of instruments or equipment has nothing to do with the State. Their job is to provide airworthy helicopters to a State organisation. As long as any change to the aircraft/equipment/operation is EASA approved, the IAA will roll with it, unless it is unsafe. It's the same as fitting a camera or a new type of navaid.

• Advertisement

Fair play to CHC.

Amazing what can be achieved when a contact renewal is up for grabs.

That said, when the tax payer is paying for the capability, whether you win or lose, you may aswell.

State funded training and equipment which can walk off into the sunset if conditions allow.

All the while the R116 being delayed at every opportunity by a third party.

Odd coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Has there been any updates (or rumours) about the tender process? Babcock were supposedly a contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Has there been any updates (or rumours) about the tender process? Babcock were supposedly a contender.

Won't be babcock now as they just sold all off shore operations to CHC

Advertisement