Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish Kid's tv shows

• 25-02-2021 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Two that enter my mind are Pajo's Junkbox and The Whole Shebang

The star of Pajo's Junkbox was a leather jacket wearing ferret named Pajo who had a punk mohawk hairstyle and for some reason a cultured D4 accent. He had 2 friends called Grabbit (played by the same one who played the Matty Hislop nun in Fr Ted) and Fetchit (who I think ended up in Fair City)
    It was replaced by The Whole Shebang, the theme tune to it being "Fiesta" by The Pogues. I remember one of the characters in it was a sweaty pimply newsreader with glasses. I stopped watching it when some of the characters including Grabbit started doing edgy dramatic scenes during the second half of the programme which I found boring and out of place in a kid's show.

Anyone else remember any other old kid's shows on Irish tv from the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

One I remember in the 90s that I've never seen or heard of again was The Rimini Riddle. As far as I remember it was about a couple of kids that lived with their Aunt Vera in her guesthouse and I think it was near the sea. The distinctive thing about the show was that all the characters were these disturbing looking puppet things that gave me nightmares. I found a clip on YouTube. Jesus Christ the horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

Jemember Rapid? A sports show hosted by Jason Sherlock and Kathryn Thomas.

For some reason I remember it as being on RTE2 at like 5pm, so it was kid friendly. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not irish, but shown on the den. The 'hi I'm bob' show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

This is a mega obscure cartoon. C-P & Quikswitch. RTE produced it in the early 80s, unusual in that it was picked up by BBC. Very rare venture into sci fi for RTE.

Two that enter my mind are Pajo's Junkbox and The Whole Shebang

The star of Pajo's Junkbox was a leather jacket wearing ferret named Pajo who had a punk mohawk hairstyle and for some reason a cultured D4 accent. He had 2 friends called Grabbit (played by the same one who played the Matty Hislop nun in Fr Ted) and Fetchit (who I think ended up in Fair City)
    It was replaced by The Whole Shebang, the theme tune to it being "Fiesta" by The Pogues. I remember one of the characters in it was a sweaty pimply newsreader with glasses. I stopped watching it when some of the characters including Grabbit started doing edgy dramatic scenes during the second half of the programme which I found boring and out of place in a kid's show.

Anyone else remember any other old kid's shows on Irish tv from the past?

Pajo was actually a rat. There was an episode of Pajos Junkbox up on YouTube recently but it's been taken down. Some of the shows within a show on it were mental. One was the Punx which was three punks in wheelchairs who would vomit on passersby. The title sequence was a cartoon punk mooning. Cant imagine that sort of thing being shown to kids now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Pat Ingoldsby had a few, Pats Pals and Pats Chat, have vague recollections of those from the early to mid 80s.

Anything goes with Aonghus McInally and Mary Fitzgerald was another one from that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was on Anything Goes when I was 11. Teacher in primary school got 4 of us to do this bit where we were filmed looking for “nature” in an overgrown lot by the Grand Canal in Dublin. Then we were interviewed live in the studio. Got lunch and a £10 book voucher for our troubles.

Walking home from school the following Monday, a kid standing at the bus stop stopped me and asked for my autograph.

Pretty much everyone of a certain age remembers Bosco but not so well known is the short lived spin off animated series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

That aul pervert Fortycoats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I never made it on to anything goes.. But was at the filming of the last episode of Scratch Saturday....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Jemember Rapid? A sports show hosted by Jason Sherlock and Kathryn Thomas.

For some reason I remember it as being on RTE2 at like 5pm, so it was kid friendly. Could be wrong though.

Is it just me or has Kathryn Thomas barely aged in an eerie kind of way

I remember a stop motion animated series in Irish that ran in the late 70s, maybe into the mid 80s called Baile Beag. Puppets in it were kind of unsettling looking. No footage and harldly any info online.

aSRuKz-rmOBO6sJ-zSpbqEZicdR9if9B0OlpGgbL3IW6QmFwHMSQAACC7JHjDhSvcYUVRAXr-73crwJaZQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

The clangers

The clangers

That was British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

That was British.

It was yes and The Wombles. Remember that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Anyone remember ‘Long Long Ago’ (Fadó Fadó)? Was a stop motion animation type thing with Na Fianna and the bad guy was Balor of the Evil Eye.

Was like an animated version of Eddie Linehan’s ‘Ten Minute Tales’.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Super ted. Think it started out in English and then they put it into Irish.

The McSpuds on Bosco who lived in the supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

The Works
    The Jokebox on the den

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Dilín Ó Deamhas

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0304/684233-seachtain-na-gaeilge-dilin-o-deamhas/

The theme song is seared into my brain.

Fortycoats, its not exactly forgotten but there's aspects of it that are lost in the mists of time due to fading memory and the lack of info online. What exactly was the premise? There was something about time travel. Why was Slightly Bonkers played by a grown woman, what were she and So Far doing hanging around with Fortycoats? What was the story with So Far, was he supposed to be a time travelling public schoolboy from Edwardian times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Fortycoats, its not exactly forgotten but there's aspects of it that are lost in the mists of time due to fading memory and the lack of info online. What exactly was the premise? There was something about time travel. Why was Slightly Bonkers played by a grown woman, what were she and So Far doing hanging around with Fortycoats? What was the story with So Far, was he supposed to be a time travelling public schoolboy from Edwardian times?

Don't forget Wilhelmina the Whirligig Witch, she was the baddie in Fortycoats and Co.
    "With me 40 coats and me 50 pockets"

I used to love Wanderly Wagon with Judge the dog and O'Brien - "here comes the wagon....the wanderly wanderly wagon...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

What was the one where Balor flew off into the sky each episode?

What was the one where Balor flew off into the sky each episode?

Long Long Ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Long Long Ago?

As mentioned above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

As mentioned above!!

His flight always seemed a bit haphazard. He’d just sort of drop in with an “aaarrrrrggghhh”, talk to the guys for a bit and then just fling off again.

Really liked the show, either way. Wonder how it’s aged.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

He had 2 friends called Grabbit (played by the same one who played the Matty Hislop nun in Fr Ted) and Fetchit (who I think ended up in Fair City)

Professor Know-it-all was in that too, I think. Big moustache and an exaggerated northeastern accent that almost sounded Scottish. I have a vague memory of two characters called Bric and Brac (they ran a Bric-a-brac shop). One of them might have been played by Ray from Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Pajo was actually a rat. There was an episode of Pajos Junkbox up on YouTube recently but it's been taken down. Some of the shows within a show on it were mental. One was the Punx which was three punks in wheelchairs who would vomit on passersby. The title sequence was a cartoon punk mooning. Cant imagine that sort of thing being shown to kids now.

Some Pajo's Junkbox here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055104689&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

In the summer did rte do a cork based alternative to the den? With creepy puppets, but I may be mixing that up with the rimini riddle; of which I had a vague memory of and didn't even know the name of it until this thread appeared.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pajo was actually a rat.

A Dub skanger version of Roland Rat.

Advertisement