Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I've been told they are looking to some of the liquor licensing laws in other jurisdictions that require the establishment to serve food.

The new laws won't mandate that you have to have a substantial meal with your drink, but the establishment will have to serve food.

"Give us 4 guinness, 2 Heineken, 3 g&ts, 1 with slimline and a vodka coke there Johnny"

"we need to serve food Andy"

"alright so......... Packet of peanuts for the table"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Give it up Paddy boy :D:D:D

In a strange way I admire his persistence

The vhi can get their reputation back by giving one of these to every pub.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9305380/Trail/searchtext%3ESandwich+toaster.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dickie10 wrote: »
    NO,thats terrible health advice, worst thing you can do is eat a heavy meal after 8-9pm. why on earth would you want nightclubs serving food?! theres a thing called a chipper /kebab shop for that! nobody is forced down on a table and poured alcohol down their neck, its a thing called living in a free ,democratic country. sure fags are still being sold there worse for you.

I never said anything about a heavy meal.

And I won't be disappointed if I'm wrong, either:
    I like a couple of quiet wines late in the evening myself. (And I can stop at one or two as desired.)

But we were asked for predictions, I've made mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

We absolutely need hospitality venues which employ people, and provide a range of leisure options. These options likely include drinking and addictive, depressive, toxin.

But we don't need venues dedicated to that and that alone.

At very least, they need to serve food too.

So, can I ask you do you usually eat at 10 ,11,12,1,2,3am. Its hardly recommended to anyone eating a dinner at that time, or maybe you can enlighten me. Please do.

What would you suggest happens to the night club business ? Perhaps nightclubs are not your thing but take a couple of provincial towns, Carrick on Shannon and Kilkenny, they both have a number of nightclubs that employ large numbers of people and contribute to the local economy and that spills over to the many other businesses. What would you suggest for the large numbers of people who enjoy the late night entertainment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

did anyone else notice just before the lockdown this time last year smoking areas of any pubs having cover removed?

3 pubs I was in shortly before they closed had recently removed some of the shelter, apparently inspectors had been around and lots of smoking areas weren't outdoors enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-pubs-new-plan-stage-23558543

confused reading that it, does it say drink pubs will be open from Level 4 ?

The €9 food rule is gone thank feck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

PTH2009 wrote: »

Ya but that c*nt says he’s going to review it again so it’s not like there’s any rush to review it or anything, will be lucky if we get into any sort of a pub this year. I absolutely hate the government, I always did but this is such a deep hatred that has developed.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya but that c*nt says he’s going to review it again so it’s not like there’s any rush to review it or anything, will be lucky if we get into any sort of a pub this year. I absolutely hate the government, I always did but this is such a deep hatred that has developed.

Yeah i know how your feeling. Its gone beyond breaking point at this stage, a lot and i mean a lot of people are very upset since last night in and outside of the Hospitality industry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

"we'll review in April"
    "PUP extended till the end of June"

so basically kicking the can down the road again.

There won't be any PUP / non-food pub crossover , so checking the end of PUP is the best barometer of pub opening , so end oj June is the next time for a can kick, not a hope before then.

• Advertisement

No.
    In Level 4, pubs will not re-open to how we knew them before the pandemic. Restaurants and cafes will be able to open for take-away and delivery and outdoor dining or service to an "absolute maximum" of 15 people.
    Yeah i know how your feeling. Its gone beyond breaking point at this stage, a lot and i mean a lot of people are very upset since last night in and outside of the Hospitality industry

I don't know a single person in hospitality who was expecting an announcement yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Drifter50 wrote: »
    So, can I ask you do you usually eat at 10 ,11,12,1,2,3am. Its hardly recommended to anyone eating a dinner at that time, or maybe you can enlighten me. Please do.

What would you suggest happens to the night club business ? Perhaps nightclubs are not your thing but take a couple of provincial towns, Carrick on Shannon and Kilkenny, they both have a number of nightclubs that employ large numbers of people and contribute to the local economy and that spills over to the many other businesses. What would you suggest for the large numbers of people who enjoy the late night entertainment?

And many nightclubs double up as music venues for live bands and musicians ...an industry that employs a huge amount of people aswell as attracting tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No.

I don't know a single person in hospitality who was expecting an announcement yesterday.

Sorry this is gone way beyond the pubs, they could have at least relaxed the 5k, just something for f*ck sake. And April5th will come and go aswell with nothing relaxed either. I’ve cracked now, yday, for me was the last straw with the 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That article in the mirror is the first place I've read the substantial meal rule will be gone. I had a look through the plan earlier and I was fairly certain it said that in Level 4 'wet pubs' can reopen outdoors with up to 15 people. Obviously not ideal but hopefully that means they will stop drawing the invisible line between bars that serve food and pubs that don't. The 'additional restrictions' line in the plan for wet pubs in Level 3 seems particularly ambiguous though.

That article in the mirror is the first place I've read the substantial meal rule will be gone. I had a look through the plan earlier and I was fairly certain it said that in Level 4 'wet pubs' can reopen outdoors with up to 15 people. Obviously not ideal but hopefully that means they will stop drawing the invisible line between bars that serve food and pubs that don't. The 'additional restrictions' line in the plan for wet pubs in Level 3 seems particularly ambiguous though.

Nothing set in stone and all that bollocks

No matter what level they open they will be packed and who can blame people for letting go either. The government/nphet are scared of this prob but tbh its unpreventable esp with social media

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

i long for the smell of dirty bar farts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

"we'll review in April"
    "PUP extended till the end of June"

so basically kicking the can down the road again.

There won't be any PUP / non-food pub crossover , so checking the end of PUP is the best barometer of pub opening , so end oj June is the next time for a can kick, not a hope before then.

Yeah I think we all know pubs will be among the last business to reopen. So I’d say your method is pretty sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, fair play to them, takeaway pints... No doubt the Gardai will be down in force to "dissuade" the publican from selling alcohol and just send them to the nearby Spar for ermm..takeaway cans?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-say-they-are-powerless-to-intervene-to-stop-a-dublin-pub-that-will-begin-serving-takeaway-pints-40128947.html

Now you've gone too far:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, fair play to them, takeaway pints... No doubt the Gardai will be down in force to "dissuade" the publican from selling alcohol and just send them to the nearby Spar for ermm..takeaway cans?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-say-they-are-powerless-to-intervene-to-stop-a-dublin-pub-that-will-begin-serving-takeaway-pints-40128947.html

Kennys in James street advertise take away pints and their door is open, anyone purchase in there?

• Advertisement

Kennys in James street advertise take away pints and their door is open, anyone purchase in there?

I wouldn't hang around Kennys or Kavanaghs drinking pints! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

A lot of shebeens have been raided(and even ended up on the Garda FB page) which is fine for now but what are they going to do this summer.
    As soon as the warm weather comes, people will flock in crowds to back gardens for barbeques, more homemade bars will pop up and young people will congregate en mass in parks,by the canal,beaches etc for cans...

It's a shame we cant actively plan for a Summer yet as we're still in limbo over where we'll be..

The Brits on the other hand are planning an almighty sesh for June 21st....I find their plan of recovery a bit ambitious though.

It's a shame we cant actively plan for a Summer yet as we're still in limbo over where we'll be..The Brits on the other hand are planning an almighty sesh for June 21st....I find their plan of recovery a bit ambitious though.

Irish Government don't do planning.. NPHET are calling the shots...

As for the UK you could need a barcode app on your phone with your vaccination status before you're allowed into a pub... I can see it happening, once tried to get into a bar in London but you had to scan your passport to get in.. I passed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I tell you one thing, pub I frequent has one dirty fûcker who after a heap of Murphys we’d end up walking out and getting lads in with hazmat suits to disinfect and spray some febreeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I tell you one thing, pub I frequent has one dirty fûcker who after a heap of Murphys we’d end up walking out and getting lads in with hazmat suits to disinfect and spray some febreeze!

He needed to adjust the headrack up a couple of notches, stops the clutch from slippin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I don't think they can shut them down, at least according to the indo article. All the guards can do is object to their license renewal (unless the dail quickly changes the law). If no one has anything left to lose then objecting to their license might not be enough of a deterrent.

JMNolan wrote: »
    I don't think they can shut them down, at least according to the indo article. All the guards can do is object to their license renewal (unless the dail quickly changes the law). If no one has anything left to lose then objecting to their license might not be enough of a deterrent.

Since Dublin by laws ban open containers of alcohol, all it would take is a couple of gardai swinging by at random intervals and emptying everyone's 6 euro pint down the drain to kill off any trade.

Sure, they can try kill the trade but they (as of today, who knows what will happen in the future) can't shut the pub.

Dont get me wrong. I'm chomping at the bit for pubs and in particular non food pubs to reopen.

But I've never gotten the attraction with take away pints. Ok with Guinness I can kind of understand. But if its a Carlsberg or Heineken I'd personally just head to the Off License.

Its going to taste the exact same and work out a lot cheaper

• Advertisement

I don't either but there are a lot of things I don't get but I know some people (elderly especially) that would prefer to die than drink a can.

Advertisement