Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsung Provincial Hero

• 24-02-2021 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Who is the unsung provincial player with the most caps without receiving full international honours.

Michael Swift with 269 Connacht appearances jumps to mind but I'm sure there could be others.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

shaungil wrote: »
    Who is the unsung provincial player with the most caps without receiving full international honours.

Michael Swift with 269 Connacht appearances jumps to mind but I'm sure there could be others.

John Muldoon (327,3) and Billy Holland (240,1) are 2 that come to mind with single digit international caps. Hard pushed to think of those with 0, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

While he's a ways off it's very easy to see him getting another 60 appearances for Connacht but 0 international caps.

Denis Buckley currently on 193 Connacht appearances. Still only 30

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Michael Bent.

</thread>

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

dregin wrote: »
    Michael Bent.

</thread>

2 caps before he was even a fixture at Leinster then nothing makes him both the right answer and completely the wrong answer.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Stuart Hooper made 333 club appearances without test recognition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He's way down the list in terms of most provincial appearances but James Coughlan was quite unlucky to never get a cap.
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=JC686574

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Chris Pim is a shoe in from the days when you could shoe in on players.

An Leinster and Old Wesley captain, he played in Scotland when it's domestic scene was strong. Heck he was even called up for and played for the Baa Baa's when it was the ultimate honour in the game yet he never even warmed a bench for Ireland.

Mind you it is a lot easier in the modern era to get caps given the layout of the test season, extra games and overriding medical concerns within the game itself otherwise the likes of Pim and others mentioned here would have gotten their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

He's way down the list in terms of most provincial appearances but James Coughlan was quite unlucky to never get a cap.
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=JC686574

+1. Had a lovely run of form in his last couple of years at Munster too, it just arrived too late for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Swifty is definitely the one for me. And sure, any excuse to post this gem again

https://youtu.be/n6VRs9ZN-A0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Zzippy wrote: »
    Swifty is definitely the one for me. And sure, any excuse to post this gem again

https://youtu.be/n6VRs9ZN-A0

Always impressed with how good the pitch looked that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ger Earls. Pre professional Era so number of provincial appearances way down but a lot of people say it was crazy he didn't get capped. His son won a load though so some justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Barry Daly was looking like he was gonna be a stellar provincial player for Leinster, not sure if he'd have broken into Ireland squads but for those couple of years he was around he wasn't brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Alan O Connor is one. Ross Molony too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In the current Leinster set up, Josh Murphy. He has been massive for Leinster this season. I'd give a nod to Molony too for how consistent he has been.

Murphy is 5th in the league in successful carries (despite being 35th in carries), 37th in metres made (considering he's a blindside who can cover lock), 95% tackle success rate. He has become an exceptionally effective and powerful carrier. He isn't dynamic like Baird (who is a similar size) but he's able to hammer into contact and grind out metres on the majority of carries, dragging defenders with him.

49 of his 66 carries have been beyond the gain line. To put that in context, Rhys Ruddock has been successful on 52 of his 104 carries in the league, Gavin Coombes has been successful on 63 of his 95 (which is a very good return in itself) and Marcell Coetzee has been successful on 65 of 128. He's fast becoming one of the best carriers in Irish rugby yet I'd wager almost nobody would name check him as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Harry Byrne. Far too good for the Pro14, and not a single cap. Hardly ever anyone talking about him either. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    In the current Leinster set up, Josh Murphy. He has been massive for Leinster this season. I'd give a nod to Molony too for how consistent he has been.

Murphy is 5th in the league in successful carries (despite being 35th in carries), 37th in metres made (considering he's a blindside who can cover lock), 95% tackle success rate. He has become an exceptionally effective and powerful carrier. He isn't dynamic like Baird (who is a similar size) but he's able to hammer into contact and grind out metres on the majority of carries, dragging defenders with him.

49 of his 66 carries have been beyond the gain line. To put that in context, Rhys Ruddock has been successful on 52 of his 104 carries in the league, Gavin Coombes has been successful on 63 of his 95 (which is a very good return in itself) and Marcell Coetzee has been successful on 65 of 128. He's fast becoming one of the best carriers in Irish rugby yet I'd wager almost nobody would name check him as such.

I love me a good collision stat Buer - where did you get yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ian Dowling, James Coughlan & MOD (Micko got a good few Irish caps) would be 3 Munster unsung heros from the professional era for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I love me a good collision stat Buer - where did you get yours?

Pro14 have a very comprehensive stats page listing the top 100 players in multiple metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Eddie Hekenui

Close the thread now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ben Betts? Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I just found out Ben Betts retired and I am devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Billy mulcahy 68 caps for Connacht
    Chris Keane 127 caps for Leinster and Connacht
    Steve Jameson Leinster .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ger Earls is a great shout, widely regarded as one of the finest to come out of Limerick at a time when Limerick clubs were dominating AIL and he was criminally overlooked for national selection. He was on the Munster team that beat Australia and scored two tries in a final trial for Ireland that year for Possibles and Probables but was overlooked. There was a good interview with him a few years ago. I think he had a bit of a fallout with Kidney after not being offered one of the few pro contracts when they were being handed out which didn't do him any favours after that.

James Coughlan was another fine player in red, classy player who was deserving of national honours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

leakyboots wrote: »
    Ger Earls is a great shout, widely regarded as one of the finest to come out of Limerick at a time when Limerick clubs were dominating AIL and he was criminally overlooked for national selection. He was on the Munster team that beat Australia and scored two tries in a final trial for Ireland that year for Possibles and Probables but was overlooked. There was a good interview with him a few years ago. I think he had a bit of a fallout with Kidney after not being offered one of the few pro contracts when they were being handed out which didn't do him any favours after that.

James Coughlan was another fine player in red, classy player who was deserving of national honours

Would agree about Ger Earls. Still played AIL up until he was 36 which is some going as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hardly unsung but Isa Nacewa certainly never got a proper shot at test rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

leakyboots wrote: »

Up until the early 90's your chances for international caps hinged upon whatever province it was who had the balance of power on the selection committee. This was your make or brake simply because senior rugby was centred on your province. As such there was no platform in Irish rugby to show what you could do bar the Inter Pro's (Which were waning by then.) and the end of season All Ireland Cup.

The exception to the rule were the few who were playing Division 1 in England and visible on Rugby Special on BBC2; ironic that you had to leave Ireland to be selected within the domestic game :pac: The formation of the AIL did a lot to address this anomaly and Irish rugby was the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Roger Wilson 200 Ulster caps 117 for Northhampton. But 1 Irish cap!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If we have reached the point of including one cap internationals, must offer the great Roman Loughney, almost 200 caps for Connacht, the most important being in Murrayfield where he made 17 tackles in 60 odd minutes against Leinster in pro 12 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Sangre wrote: »
    Hardly unsung but Isa Nacewa certainly never got a proper shot at test rugby

He could have had one if he really wanted to. He got capped by Fiji in world cup and then tried all he could to dismiss that. When it was decided that those 120 seconds would count and he wouldnt be able to play for New Zealand then he could have went and played for Fiji

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Roger Wilson 200 Ulster caps 117 for Northhampton. But 1 Irish cap!!!!

1 more than he should have got.

Advertisement