Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance, nct & licence disc holder

Options
  • 25-02-2021 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Where can I get a three cert holder car windscreen to display insurance, nct & licence discs? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Most garages sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

Logo wrote: »
    Where can I get a three cert holder car windscreen to display insurance, nct & licence discs? Thanks in advance

eBay 3 euro,delivered in day or two,Irish supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Dealz sell them as do nct test centres for about 2eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the replies but does any insurance providers etc give complimentary disc holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Thanks for the replies but does any insurance providers etc give complimentary disc holders?

FBD used to have free disc holders when I had insurance with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Yes, Axa do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they don't they only cost about €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Aviva did previously but it was yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Bought mine in Halfords :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sweet Jesus - are you prepared to decide on who provides your motor insurance based on a complimentary €2 piece of plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sweet Jesus - are you prepared to decide on who provides your motor insurance based on a complimentary €2 piece of plastic.

Look after the pennies.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Autosport wrote: »
    Bought mine in Halfords :)

Yes but they are €7 in Halfords, bit of a rip off

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mine came free with a replacement windscreen via autoglass. Probably not the most optimum way to upgrade to a 3 slot holder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sellotape or a cheaper version works too....

Look at the Garda Twitter, one can even just use Crayola

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Stick them on the window with discarded chewing gum

liamog wrote: »
    Mine came free with a replacement windscreen via autoglass. Probably not the most optimum way to upgrade to a 3 slot holder :(

Yes good idea... I've just smashed mine right now

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Local FBD branch keeps a stack of them unattended on the waiting area table, could take a dozen if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

I’m always surprised at the number of cars with either completely shagged looking disc holders , with the tax certs falling out, or ones plastered with a garage or insurance company’s name, or even how few people realize how much better a black disc holder looks against the average black dashboard. It’s bad enough that the government requires 3 stupid discs on our windscreens in the first place. Might as well make it look as inconspicuous as possible....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The sooner they move away from certs in the window the better

The UK have been without them for years, used to be quite happy with a full windscreen anytime I was importing a car to ireland from the UK

Driving a car now that doesn't require anything in the windscreen and it's nice to say the least.

Really by now ireland should be in a position to do away with them and have the gardai equiped to check cars, doing away with fraud and fake certs etc. Borrowing a friends cert etc.

Anyway, €2 in dealz, €2-3 in a NCT center, insurance company , main dealers etc all have them !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

kravmaga wrote: »
    Yes but they are €7 in Halfords, bit of a rip off

True but I got a black one with the car brand on it and it looks nice on the windscreen as it all blends :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

The UK have been without them for years, used to be quite happy with a full windscreen anytime I was importing a car to ireland from the UK

Driving a car now that doesn't require anything in the windscreen and it's nice to say the least.

Really by now ireland should be in a position to do away with them and have the gardai equiped to check cars, doing away with fraud and fake certs etc. Borrowing a friends cert etc.

Anyway, €2 in dealz, €2-3 in a NCT center, insurance company , main dealers etc all have them !

Yeah, situation here is a joke. And don’t forget that learners have to a big stupid L sticker on their windscreen and back window. Significantly restricts visibility. And for what? Who knows whether it’s actually a learner driving the car?

They believe now after a number of years millions is lost each year. It was originally done as a cost savings exercise..... Could you imagine here, the cops would have to actually work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Fair point on the learner sticker, could be a fully licenced driver in the car during the week and teaching the learner on the weekends just ! Dunno how you get around that one though.
    Don't forget the N plates too

The gardai are quick to show off on twitter though their newer computers built into their cars automatically reading plates and also their mobile app where they can input a reg etc.

I remember hearing the same stories years ago of lads throwing in a different insurance disc into the window and getting away with it despite the incorrect reg. Going the digital way will stop a few bits of fraud and I think really should save money, shouldn't it save on admin etc not sending out certs etc ?

Amazing another one from where I am now, I have a 2008 car and the service book is empty. scratched my head at that, instead there's a government website / database that gets updated everytime the car sees a garage, milages updated, services etc, even noticed my car 4 years ago went in for a puncture repair and they uploaded that information ! And milage !

The irish do lack behind in many places it seems, and these wouldn't be unrealistic measures or very costly either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ninap wrote: »
    ....It’s bad enough that the government requires 3 stupid discs on our windscreens in the first place.....
    Only 3?

Some of us have to have a street parking permit and a work parking permit displayed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I walk into the insurance office in my local town and just ask for one even tough I'm not insured with them.
    They generally hand one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

It's going to cost more than €2 in terms of storage space, CPU power and disk i/o just to host this silly thread in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Only 3?

Some of us have to have a street parking permit and a work parking permit displayed also.

And Padre Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

NCT centres sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tax and NCT should be replaced with a single disc which is replaced each time either one of them is renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

cant get rid of them, what would the guards do with all their Abacus ?

Advertisement